Electrohub odd noise

Armetron

So I've been flying my Electrohub for about a month now and I'm loving every part of it, however about 2 days ago I started hearing a weird noise being emitted from the quad-copter. The best parallel I can give to the sound is when you have a weed wacker spinning at high speed, cutting a piece of paper. If the quad-copter is stationary in the air I don't hear it at all but when in motion (and especially when making turns) its starts to emit the sound

at first I thought that I may have chipped my carbon fiber blades so today I went to my local hobby shop and bought a magnetic prop balancer and balanced all my props. I took it a few hours ago and now when stationary it seems to be much quieter but as soon as I start moving it makes the noise again

when examining the motors I did notice that the 2 right motors seem to have a little bit of play on the shaft. When I hold one of the tips of the prop and move it slightly up and down I can feel a sort of clicking within the motor

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my copter?
I'm using the standard E-Max motors with a 4S battery

joshuabardwell

Mentor
In theory, you can replace the bearing in most/all brushless motors. You would need to know the correct dimensions for the replacement, which sometimes means that if you can't get a part number from the manufacturer, you're SOL. If you are handy with a caliper, you may be able to measure the existing bearings to get dimensions for a replacement. But honestly, replacing the bearings on a motor is often times enough of a hassle that people just buy a replacement motor. Pressing out the shaft, and then pressing out the bearings, and vice versa is difficult without the right equipment--at the very least, a big vise, but better yet, a press. And don't get me started on C-clips.

If the motors are new, and have never been crashed, I would try to get the manufacturer to replace them.

Armetron

Huh I never thought about seeing if the manufacturer could replace them, I never did suffer a crash so maybe

RichB

I've never seen a motor where the bearing needed to be pressed out. Nor a motor where the shaft needed to be opressed out to replace the bearings.

C clips are a pain, but once they are off, the whole motor usually comes apart, bearings and all.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I've never seen a motor where the bearing needed to be pressed out. Nor a motor where the shaft needed to be opressed out to replace the bearings. C clips are a pain, but once they are off, the whole motor usually comes apart, bearings and all.

I've only worked on a single Sunnysky motor. I needed to replace a long shaft with a short one. From the instructions I found, it seemed like pressing out the shaft and bearings was typical, but it'd be great if that wasn't generally the case.