ElectroHub Quad Build - A beginners first build

drummerguy103

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I started the build of my first multirotor, a quadcopter built around the FT ElectroHub. I was originally planning on a dead cat configuration but decided against to due to the extra configuration required.

Specs:
  • KK2.1.5 flight control board
  • Turnigy Multistar 20amp ESC
  • Turnigy Multistar 2209-980Kv Outrunner
  • LemonRX DSMX/DSM2 6-ch receiver
  • Spektrum DX6i transmitter
  • 9 x 4.7 SF Props
  • ElectroHub plates
  • 13mm Balsa composite booms
  • Custom Delrin landing gear
  • 2700mAh 3S Lipo

Once I got all my parts, assembly (and insanity) began. I opted to wire it up with bullet connectors, not knowing whether I would be replacing the components or not. I cannibalised a XT60 to bullet distro to make what I refer to as the "Bullet Weave"
ogDDcbj.jpg gIl12fV.jpg 0BiYdRR.jpg

I originally went with a simple balsa wood boom (We have a family business in Australia [Auszac Eco Balsa - shameless plug]) however even the stronger material would split between the attachment screws. So after the first few flights, I opted for a ply wood-balsa composite that I had lying around at home. This is stronger however if it breaks, theres no way to reuse it as it shears. (unlike the balsa which would split)

Wsm1eGC.jpg rdUBjQn.jpg 4nk7yiB.jpg

All of my electronic part selections were based off of what was easiest to access and what was recommended on the RTF website for electrohub quads. I went with the KK2.1.5 because I have heard good things about it and figured it offered what I was looking for, a beginners board without a steep price.

As for my landing gear.. I realised that when I ordered from Flite Test that I only ordered one gear.... :applause: However I'm lucky enough to have a laser cutter/engraver at my disposal, so I scanned, traced and then cut new gears from an acrylic offcut. These are about double the thickness of the FT and solid acrylic but I can't fault them at all so far.
5vLWmZ5.jpg

FIRST FLIGHT.....FLIGHTS

After 3 days of rubbish weather I finally got a couple of minutes before the sun set to try it out. I had calibrated the ESCs and tweaked my settings on the KK2 (with self level off) and my DX6i. One thing that I may have adjusted a little too much was my gains, because I may have made the gyros freak out. I managed to get it about 1.5m off the ground before it started oscillating like no ones business. After 2 broken booms and some research, I took it out again, this time up to the local sports oval. Unfortunately it got a bit windy and unruly.. It was at this point that I opted for the composite booms.

The official "first" flight was excellent. No one around, settings tuned in better, (better than before anyway) no weather, no wind. I was able to pilot it around, getting used to the way quads behave. And the 2700mAh battery...WOW :eek: at rough calculations I should be getting beyond 20 minute flights..

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES - HERES SOME TIPS

So I did what I usually do and did plenty of research prior to assembling and flying... and completely forgot it when it came to it. Heres a couple of tips for beginners from another:

Props are cheap, buy them like they are going out of fashion.
I was lucky I didn't break too many props but I still should have bought more. I have a new order coming in soon for another 20-30 props. Better to have em and not need em than not.

Introduce your tools to your car - they might as well live in there.
Cable ties, side cutters, more cable ties, battery testers. These are all things that should now live in your car. I have done it where the landing gear breaks off and all you need is two cable ties.. but you have to go home. Save yourself the trip. Just pack em.

Short but sweet.
My first couple of flights shouldn't really even be called flights. I basically hovered the quad, checked the parameters (rudder, throttle and pitch etc) and then bought it back down. This meant that I could slowly eliminate problems, bit by bit.

My quad is far from finished, so I will be sure to keep this updated as I go!! ;)

- Zac

Last edited: