ElectroHub Quadcopter kit - Which Motor?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I have the Altitude kit as well.

The Suppo 1450s spin 8045 rotors and make your copter light and quick. The 980s from RTFQ will spin longer rotors and weigh more giving you more lifting power and longer flight time but less speed and agility.

Use the 980s to lift a camera and gimbal and shoot fantastic video of pristine vistas. Use the 1450s to learn how to fly, do flips, spins and rolls or to shoot cruddy video of you weaving between trees like a Star Wars speeder bike.

For a first copter, I recommend light and cheap. It will break less and cost less when it breaks.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I have the Suppo 1450s on my first Anycopter quad (the ElectroHub "predecessor" frame) and I think that was a great choice. A more agile multirotor might sound difficult to fly - which actually is true for the small racing ones ;) - but that combo feels quick enough to try fooling around a little and have the chance to catch the copter if it goes south (or crash even worse :-D).

A slower motor / bigger prop might be too slow to recover from a weird orientation.

At the moment I am doing exactly what cranial said, building a 10 inch ElectroHub for a friend as camera plattform that is going to be flown in self-level mode 99% of the time.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I have the Sunnysky 2212 kv980 motors on my Electrohub, and I suspect (from the naming) that they are similar to the ones in question. I run them with 10x4.5 props. I don't find them to lack agility; I fly on something like 80-85% rates (can't remember exactly) with 55% expo. From my perspective, as long as I'm flying at less than 100% rates, then it's my skill and not the copter that's holding me back.

One nice thing about those motors is that, although they're not officially rated for 4S, they are widely reported to run even 10" props on 4S without getting hot. If one wanted to start with 10" props on 3S and then graduate to 9" props on 4S, the 980 kv motor would be a good choice.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I do have the RTFQ T2212-980KV RTF Motors, and I really like these motors. I am not good at flying well yet, but all of the practice I have been doing with these I have yet to get them above 1/2 throttle and it climbs very quickly. I believe that earthsciteach has them as well.

I bought the whole kit from RTFQ and I am enjoying the quad a lot. Just wish I was a better pilot! Here is the maiden to the whole kit:

Quad

Thanks everyone. This is really helpful. I do want to have the smooth video experience at some point. I am going to go with the T2212-980KV RTF Motor. Hopefully it is not too hard to learn. Also assuming they are in stock. :)

Quad

Is there a good reference for learning about motors that would be good for Electro Hub Quads? Perhaps a list of known good ones and/or a place to learn about quad motors in general?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Is there a good reference for learning about motors that would be good for Electro Hub Quads? Perhaps a list of known good ones and/or a place to learn about quad motors in general?

You are on it. :)

The thing about the Electrohub is that it is so versatile a HUGE array of motors will work for it. It just comes down to how you want to fly. As I have matured as a pilot and builder, my Anycopter (the precursor to the Electrohub) has gone through several sizes of motors, flight controllers, receivers and configurations.

Fast motors (high kv) makes for quick copters. Slow motors (low kv) makes for powerful copters. There is a TON of grey area in the middle between 900 kv and 1200 kv. 4S adds yet another dimention.

There are many ways to build and fly an Electrohub. Only you can decide what is right for you. The Altitude kit and the RTFQ kit will both work and only you can decide which is best for how and where you fly.

The key is to get in the air so you can gain the experience to be able to make this decision. The beauty is that with the Electrohub, you get to change your mind. :)

Quad

You are on it. :)

The thing about the Electrohub is that it is so versatile a HUGE array of motors will work for it. It just comes down to how you want to fly. As I have matured as a pilot and builder, my Anycopter (the precursor to the Electrohub) has gone through several sizes of motors, flight controllers, receivers and configurations.

Fast motors (high kv) makes for quick copters. Slow motors (low kv) makes for powerful copters. There is a TON of grey area in the middle between 900 kv and 1200 kv. 4S adds yet another dimention.

There are many ways to build and fly an Electrohub. Only you can decide what is right for you. The Altitude kit and the RTFQ kit will both work and only you can decide which is best for how and where you fly.

The key is to get in the air so you can gain the experience to be able to make this decision. The beauty is that with the Electrohub, you get to change your mind. :)

Thanks! Slightly OT but which flight controller(s) are your favorite.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I still like the KK2.1.5 (with Stevie's firmware) because that's what got me into flying. I am however playing with Sparky right now since I am eagerly waiting for SparkyV2 to be released, because I want to play with GPS stuff.

The Naze32 and Flip boards got very popular recently too.