Electrohub/Turnigy 9x not working!

stevethedude

So I've finished building my first quadcopter following the Electrohub tutorial and hooked up a Turnigy 9x receiver. It appears to bind to the transmitter successfully, but when I turn it on normally and give it some throttle, nothing happens. The lights on the MultiWii board turn off as soon as I turn the transmitter on. Help!

36:45 is when they bind the transmitter and receiver, and that's what I'm stuck at.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Have you checked in the configurator program that all of your RX channels are working as expected?

midnightdaylight

Pictures and video would help greatly, there is simply so many questions to ask.

I'm running my Ehub with a x9, so hopefully we can get you off the ground ASAP... I know how frustrating this can be. :(

stevethedude

Pictures and video would help greatly, there is simply so many questions to ask.

I'm running my Ehub with a x9, so hopefully we can get you off the ground ASAP... I know how frustrating this can be. :(

Here's a video of what happens when I give power to my quad. As you can see, no lights or anything turn on on the MultiWii, leading me to believe that I might have a dead board. The beeping heard is my receiver.

stevethedude

I've confirmed it isn't an ESC or anything that's causing this problem, so it would seem that the only remaining option is that the MultiWii is broken. :(

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
But you haven't tried connecting it over USB yet? You'll need to do that to do just about any kind of setup or debugging.

Random_rc

yep it looks like you have got a faulty board. you could have plugged it in the wrong way(quite easy to do with a servo lead). i have an electrohub with a turnigy 9x and mine works fine. Also you will have to play around with the p and i settings, the kk2 needs a lot of tuning. just because one board is bad/faulty dosen't mean that those boards are all bad.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I don't understand "plugged it in the wrong way". Don't servo leads have the positive connection in the center, so even if you reverse it, no harm is done?

stevethedude

yep it looks like you have got a faulty board. you could have plugged it in the wrong way(quite easy to do with a servo lead). i have an electrohub with a turnigy 9x and mine works fine. Also you will have to play around with the p and i settings, the kk2 needs a lot of tuning. just because one board is bad/faulty dosen't mean that those boards are all bad.

Pretty sure I didn't plug anything in the wrong way, but I suppose it's always a possibility. :p
So you suggest that I try to get a new MultiWii from the seller, and not buy a KK2?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The point that Josh and Alex make in the Ehub build video is that it will work right out of the box.

I think what they mean is, "compared to any other FC, this one requires minimal tweaking". You can put it on the quad and fly it as-is. But you will probably end up wanting to tweak it eventually, to make it fly even better. Or if you run into any sort of trouble, to debug.

stevethedude

Well, I contacted rtfquads.com a couple weeks ago to see if I had a dead board, still no response. Definitely won't be buying from him again in the future. Thanks for all your help guys, hopefully a KK2 will work better on this quad.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
This is the problem with RFTquads. He does get parts delivered, eventually, but it takes weeks to get anything done. Even if you are willing to wait three weeks to get your parts, are you willing to wait another three weeks for the exchange if there is a DOA board? Sorry you got stuck in this situation.

Instead of KK, I would suggest Acro Naze32. If you were going to go with MW Flip, then you've already committed to hooking up to a PC to do configuration. The Naze32 is a much better board than KK. If you do go with KK, look into Steveis firmware (note--not "Stevie's"), which is supposed to be much better than stock.

RichB

How are you arming it when you only have the throttle channel hooked up?

Standard multiwii arming procedure is zero throttle and full right rudder, so you didn't arm it unless you removed a bunch wires before making video.

Also, that board takes a standard micro usb cable, like for most phones. Connect it to a computer so you can run the multiwii config tool and look to see what's up.

And I'm pretty sure the 9x receiver does not have a buzzer. I did hear the ESCs beeping the motor in your video.