Electronic Problem with ESC

MagicTrail

Hello Everybody! I just build the FT Delta design and was working on putting the electronics in it. I plugged everything in and turned it on. The ESC did not beep and the motor did not turn on but the receiver was getting power through the ESC and was connecting to the Transmitter. All my electronics are from the Power Pack B and my transmitter is from flysky. I messed with it for a while and finally called flite test. They said it was probably a issue with the ESC and sent me a new one. I am still having the same problem after receiving the new one. If you can help that would be great. Thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
the receiver was getting power through the ESC and was connecting to the Transmitter.
Tell is more about what the Rx (receiver) was doing. Was the light solid or blinking? Did the servos respond to stick inputs?

MagicTrail

The Reciver was blinking until I turned the transmitter on then it went solid. The Servos do not respond to stick movement but when I plug the battery in a noise that sounds like a gear moving comes from the servos.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Make sure that the servos and ESC are plugged into the RX in the correct orientation.

What I mean is unplug your servo leads from the RX, rotate them 180°, and plug them back in.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Couple of things could be causing this, in my mind:

1) Your ESC is not plugged in on the throttle channel.
2) Your wires from the ESC to the receiver are switched
3) The receiver is not bound to the radio

I don't know what it looks like, connection wise, so I'm taking a wild ass guess at the start for troubleshooting. :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
The Reciver was blinking until I turned the transmitter on then it went solid.
To me this indicates your Rx is bound.
The servos should be in channels 1, 2 & 4, the ESC in channel 3. As @Arcfyre said, make sure all the servos are the correct way around, the lightest color wires (white or yellow) should all be facing the same way

Last edited:

gloobnib

Do you have a Servo Tester? If so, try plugging the ESC into the servo tester and setting the tester to '0'. It should beep to indicate everything is working.

Note: The Beeps do not not come from the ESC; they come from the MOTOR. You will not hear beeps if there is no motor connected to the ESC. This blew me away when I first figured it out; I assumed the ESC had a speaker, but it is doing some sort of vodoo frequency shifting current through the motor to make it 'sing'.

MagicTrail

Do you have a Servo Tester? If so, try plugging the ESC into the servo tester and setting the tester to '0'. It should beep to indicate everything is working.

I do not have a servo tester but I do have an Arduino. I pluged the servos into the Arduino to get them centered becuase I wanted to set them up even though the rest of the electronics weren't working. Both Servos Worked Fine.

MagicTrail

Note: The Beeps do not not come from the ESC; they come from the MOTOR. You will not hear beeps if there is no motor connected to the ESC. This blew me away when I first figured it out; I assumed the ESC had a speaker, but it is doing some sort of vodoo frequency shifting current through the motor to make it 'sing'.

I do have a motor attached so at first I though that the motor might not be working. Then, I realized that if that was the case then the servos would be working and they aren't.

Kbat11700

I had this exact same problem last week setting up a friends mini scout. In my case, I could not get the esc to calibrate. But I knew the channel worked because when i plugged a servo into that channel, I got power to it.

I ended up having my throttle channel reversed my accident preventing me from properly calibrating. I quick channel reverse and I was able to calibrate it and operate like normal.

MagicTrail

I had this exact same problem last week setting up a friends mini scout. In my case, I could not get the esc to calibrate. But I knew the channel worked because when i plugged a servo into that channel, I got power to it.

I ended up having my throttle channel reversed my accident preventing me from properly calibrating. I quick channel reverse and I was able to calibrate it and operate like normal.

I just reversed my throttle channel and tried again. It sadly did not work.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Depending on your TX there is mode 1 and or mode 2 options depending which way you order it, mode 1 the throttle is the right stick so mode 2 is the left one. In the menu do you have a display option so you can see what each channel is doing and with what stick?

Post some pictures of you tx and rx and how you have them hooked up.