Electronics Connectors???

Sinkhole

Hey all, Yes I am a totally new to RC aircraft. I just embarked on building the 3 pk of swappables and my Nutball is all but finished. I'm down to the electronics and have a few questions on the connections. Going off the recommended component list I decided to go with the Turnigy Plush 18A ESC & Turnigy Park 300 1380kv motor. My question is on the the battery to ESC connectors. All the batteries under 1000mah seem to come with JST connectors. From what I understand JST connectors are only good for about 10 amps. So if I were to go to a larger motor & battery I'd need to change out the connectors on my ESC. My question is can you put an XT60 connector on a smaller say 800mah 20c 2s batteries, or are the connectors of the XT60 designed for larger AWG wire? Would I be better off making a JST to XT60 adapter for the battery to ESC connection? The idea is to try to use one uniform set of connectors. So as I progress through the hobby I don't have to go crazy changing connectors.

Thanks.

eagle4

i have converted all my batteries to use XT-60s, this way i can swap them wherever i need them.

if you are working on a small super light project where weight is an issue then keeping everything with jst plugs is a good idea, but its not a big deal with having them as xt-60s

Freaky_1

old headcase
Hidy,

I'm new to EP myself and in fact just got my first lipos. Mine came with deans style "T" connectors, but I ordered a few xt60s and will be swapping them out. For now, I won't have any tiny airframes to worry about needing a smaller connector. To my way of thinking, pick what you like and make it your standard. The xt60 is capable of more than I currently need, but it will handle less fine and going the other direction is something kin to senseless.

Frank

dwardio

You can certainly standardize on one connector, although getting a strong, stable solder connection between an xt-60 and the tiny leads on a small battery like a 500mah 2- or 3-S might be a challenge.

One comment, though-- you mention "changing out connections" on your ESC when going to a larger motor. I don't know about other folks, but once I decide on a motor/esc combo, i never separate them, so worrying about changing connections has never been an issue. YMMV, of course...

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I'm considering soldering my motors straight to the ESCs for one of my planes. I'll probably regret it, but it seems like a cheaper/easier/cleaner way to go. Especially since they're a small motor and a small ESC and my standard connectors are just too big.

I agree with dwardio that you're not going to swap ESCs and motors too much. So getting a connector that matches the gauge of wire is a good idea. Even if you don't end up with one standard connection that way.

I have been using the 3.5mm bullet connectors for the ESC/motor connection. I've gone from tractor to pusher and need to change motor direction. The connectors are solid and my solder skills are rookie at best and it was fairly easy to do. Plus lots of motors are coming with these connectors already on them. As for the battery I'm putting xt60's on all my ESC's. And for the small batteries I ordered an adapter plug. I did t want to risk shorting anything while soldering new battery connections.

This setup has accomadated everything i have from the 24g motor 15a ESC to my turnigy 2628 1400kv with a 40a ESC. I have a couple motors in-between too. When I total a plane I usually switch stuff out and try something a little different on the next build.

-Jes

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I standardized myself to what I started with, which is T-Deans, and JST for smaller stuff, and apart from that the direct Futaba connector on NiMH batteries I make for gliders. Lots of people keep saying about XT60, which is a good connector, but I just got too used to the Deans, and s friends Bixler didn't like it much either when I disconnected it's XT60 once... Those things connect so well I would say too well. It finally released and my hand went all the way through the foam from the front hatch to the GoPro on the very front!! People have said to me "The Deans can disconnect in flight", to which I answer "then you have some terrible vibration issues on your plane!!"

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'm just not a fan of the deans, haven't cared for them since before I even got into electric models. I don't like the way that there's no protection around the solder side, I don't like soldering to the flat bar, and I don't like the way that the contacts are exposed on the male end. They just rub me the wrong way and seem like they were designed to be cheap to produce above all else...but you'd never know it based on how much they charge for them. I also seem to remember them going after generic T connectors legally at one point which really rubs me the wrong way.

I also find the deans incredibly difficult to connect/disconnect both genuine deans and knock offs. There's just very little to grab onto and all the ones I've had are a much tighter fit than the XT60's I have. Of course the only things I have with deans are two batteries I don't use much (one is dead, the other is on it's last legs) and I pretty much leave a Deans to XT60 adapter on them full time so the deans never gets connected/disconnected while the XT does.

I have found that the XT's can be very tight at first...but they loosen up a bit after some use. Not enough I'd be afraid of them falling off in flight, but enough that they're not so bad to connect/disconnect and there's way more to grip on them than on Deans.

That said...I'm not a fan of XT's on smaller stuff. I just added an XT60 on my FPV monitor and it was dinky 24ga wires...I'm worried about stress on the wires being so small with such a big heavy plug on them. But that monitor sucks down so much juice I was draining my 500mah batts in 20 minutes and wanted to use my older 2200's instead and they all have XT's on them.

I was going to put a JST on it and then just make a JST-XT60 connector...but found an XT60 in my box before I found my JST's so laziness won out.

Flynn

Just some help for people like me who only use three of these.

image.jpg

B1 - Deans (T) type main connector - Female & Male. Used for main connection to speed controllers and motors. Used for medium to high current draw
B2 - JST / BEC type main connector - Female & Male. Used for main connection to speed controllers and motors. Used for low current draw
B3 - Tamiya main battery plug usually used on Car and Boat batteries (NiCd / NiMh) - Female & Male
B4 - Bullet Connectors - Female & Male. Single wire connectors, available in a range of different sizes to suit current draw / load requirements from 2mm to 8mm
B5 - HXT Connectors - Female & Male. Available in 3.5mm and 4.00mm sizes. Used for main battery connectors for medium / high power applications
B6 - Traxxas Connectors - Male & Female. Mainly used on high current draw car and boat batteries
B7 - XT60 Connectors - Male & Female. Used for high current draw battery connections
B8 - EC3 Connectors - Male & Female. Used for high current draw battery connections
B9 - Flight Power / Thunder Power (FP / TP) LiPo Balance Charger plug - Female & Male
B10 - Hyperion / PolyQuest (HP / PQ) LiPo Balance Charger plug - Female & Male
B11 - JST-XHR (XH) LiPo Balance Charger plug - Female & Male
B12 - JST-EHR (EH) LiPo Balance Charger plug - Female & Male

I've been doing JST for 1000mah and under. Deans for 1300 and up 3s. And XT60 for 4s. Just cause I will screw something up otherwise.

DDSFlyer

Just some help for people like me who only use three of these.

View attachment 21003

B1 - Deans (T) type main connector - Female & Male. Used for main connection to speed controllers and motors. Used for medium to high current draw
B2 - JST / BEC type main connector - Female & Male. Used for main connection to speed controllers and motors. Used for low current draw
B3 - Tamiya main battery plug usually used on Car and Boat batteries (NiCd / NiMh) - Female & Male
B4 - Bullet Connectors - Female & Male. Single wire connectors, available in a range of different sizes to suit current draw / load requirements from 2mm to 8mm
B5 - HXT Connectors - Female & Male. Available in 3.5mm and 4.00mm sizes. Used for main battery connectors for medium / high power applications
B6 - Traxxas Connectors - Male & Female. Mainly used on high current draw car and boat batteries
B7 - XT60 Connectors - Male & Female. Used for high current draw battery connections
B8 - EC3 Connectors - Male & Female. Used for high current draw battery connections
B9 - Flight Power / Thunder Power (FP / TP) LiPo Balance Charger plug - Female & Male
B10 - Hyperion / PolyQuest (HP / PQ) LiPo Balance Charger plug - Female & Male
B11 - JST-XHR (XH) LiPo Balance Charger plug - Female & Male
B12 - JST-EHR (EH) LiPo Balance Charger plug - Female & Male

I've been doing JST for 1000mah and under. Deans for 1300 and up 3s. And XT60 for 4s. Just cause I will screw something up otherwise.

Great reference pic and descriptions

Terry313

Great reference pic and descriptions
?
I am very new to electrical RC.
Am I correct in understanding it is OK to change my "blue wonder" 2mm connectors to 3.5 bullet connectors and it will not have an adverse effect? Everything I use on the larger motors are bullet.
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Thurmond. I was hoping the 3.5 connectors would not be to much resistance for a 3cell 500MH battery.

In general, the bigger the connector the lower the resistance since there is more contact area. So going to a bigger connector never hurts, other than weight the space they take up.

Terry313

Thank You

In general, the bigger the connector the lower the resistance since there is more contact area. So going to a bigger connector never hurts, other than weight the space they take up.

Thanks Ace. That does make sense. I now remember that from my basic electronics.
The forum (everyone) keeps the beginners from waste and crashing a scratch built that was improperly built. Lots to learn, but it is fun. I have soloed twice but never landed. No crash,just learned not to fly wide, high and down wind! :rolleyes:

JasonEricAnderson

I'm currently with Deans connectors but I want to convert over to xt60s. Just make sure you don't get to excited when you think you see them in stock.... and you end up ordering HUGE XT90s by accident....

Photo Sep 20, 11 32 59 PM.jpg

I ended up giving these to David W.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Yeah. Always make sure your monitor is not upside down when ordering connectors.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
If I wound up with XT90's my mistake I think it would just push me over the edge and force me to build a few oversized planes :)