Electronics failure.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey all,
I apologize for putting this in the motor area, but I couldn't find an ESC area.
I have been having burnouts with my ESC's right and left.:mad:
All have been under proped, under amped, and well cared for, and yet all but two have flamed, one taking a plane with it,:mad: so what I'm asking is,

What are your ESC care procedures?
Any tips?
Thanks,
Foam Addict.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I abuse mine in general... Something I do when I notice the ESC heating up a bit is cut away the heatshrink from the heatsink. Covering the heatsink is an odd thing for manufacturers to do...

Also, the things that often go first are voltage regulators. This can often be avoided by using a separate UBEC, which will in turn keep your ESC much cooler.

Speaking of abuse, I've found that the Turnigy Plush ESCs live up to the 'bulletproof' claim. I regularly ran 35A through a 30A Plush with my old Parkjet without any issues.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Hey all,
I apologize for putting this in the motor area, but I couldn't find an ESC area.
I have been having burnouts with my ESC's right and left.:mad:
All have been under proped, under amped, and well cared for, and yet all but two have flamed, one taking a plane with it,:mad: so what I'm asking is,

What are your ESC care procedures?
Any tips?
Thanks,
Foam Addict.
So what motor and ESC are you using? I guess you've tested with a meter since you say they're under amped?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Any thing from plush 18's to red brick 30's.
Today I had my plush 18 and a castle creations brushed go on the workbench.
The 18 was not underload, it simply smoked when I plugged it in. The Brushed speedie was powering a receiver under no load, and simply caught fire when I had my back turned.

I'm really glad for the help. All my crashes recently have been component failure, and a large crash.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I do what Lobster does. If you saw pictures of my Carbon B-2 I knew it would heat up with a large prop, so I cut out a slot and the heatsink sat on the outside of the craft. Although it never flew I still use the same idea with my Bixler today.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Any thing from plush 18's to red brick 30's.
Today I had my plush 18 and a castle creations brushed go on the workbench.
The 18 was not underload, it simply smoked when I plugged it in. The Brushed speedie was powering a receiver under no load, and simply caught fire when I had my back turned.
Maybe double check your soldering? You may want to place a call with Castle and ask why their ESC caught fire. They may be able to shed some light on the cause better than the 20-questions game we have to play on the forum.

asadpasat

Hi,
I have problem. I have purchased HobbyKing HK6S 2.4Ghz FHSS 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2),Turnigy TG9e 9g / 1.5kg / 0.10sec Eco Micro Servo (USA Warehouse,Turnigy 500mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack,Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC,Turnigy Park300 Brushless Outrunner 1380kv to build FT Swappable. But when I connect everything and start running the motor it works properly. Unfortunatly when I get, on transmitter in middle, with the control stick, the motor shuts down and I have to go down with the controling stick down and then I can run the motor again. But this is happening every time I reach the the middle on the transmitter. Can you say what could be possibly wrong?
Thanks.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Your Esc Needs to be calibrated. Power it up at Max throttle, then wait for the beep, then bring the throttle to minimum. Hope this helps!