Electronics selection-What to do and what not to do

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I have seen this suggested many times and now we can voice our desire for this in this forum.

I would like to see an explanation of how to choose an electronics setup.

For example, if I had a certain motor:
Is there a certain ESC that will burn up the motor or that will be burned up itself?
How does the battery voltage affect engine performance and does it matter what voltage I choose?
If I get the wrong C rating on my battery am I risking the battery, the ESC, or the motor?

What are the limiting factors that I must know so I do not risk burning up anything?

Are rcvr's, servos, gyros, or other equipment rated for certain voltages or voltage ranges?

After explaining the limiting concerns could you give me the theory for selecting ideal setup.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I have seen this suggested many times and now we can voice our desire for this in this forum.

Is there a certain ESC that will burn up the motor or that will be burned up itself?
How does the battery voltage affect engine performance and does it matter what voltage I choose?
If I get the wrong C rating on my battery am I risking the battery, the ESC, or the motor?

What are the limiting factors that I must know so I do not risk burning up anything?

Are rcvr's, servos, gyros, or other equipment rated for certain voltages or voltage ranges?

After explaining the limiting concerns could you give me the theory for selecting ideal setup.

ARGH!!! I just spent the last 30 minutes writing up an explanation to this, and then clicked the wrong thing, and changed pages.

I wish there was an autosave feature.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

The ESC will not burn up the motor. The wrong sized propeller will.

The battery voltage determines how fast the motor can spin. This is in part what the motor's KV (constant voltage) is telling you. The KV is how many revolutions per volt. A 1000 KV motor powered with a 11.1 battery, in theory will spin 11,100 RPM. You can exceed the motor's capacity for current. Check the manufacturers specs.

Only if you use a smaller than recommended battery C level. You can't go too big on C.

The ESC is what I'd be concerned with most. I like to buy one that's rated higher than my intended amperage.
The prop is the second choice. Proper prop selection is key. At a certain size, the propeller causes more strain on the motor than it can handle. It might be tie diameter, or the pitch.

Less now than before. They've been making some changes that I haven't caught up with yet. The best place to look for help on this info in the not so distant future will be in the forum, here...

http://flitetest.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?55-RC-Radios-Transmitters-and-Receivers

I'll make a posting for this tomorrow (I hope, heading out for the week to an rc air show), right now I'm falling asleep.