Pewee2000

I have bought the following parts thinking that they would work together.

Mystery 30A Brushless IN-BEC ESC Yellow (not sure how the colour effects things, but anyway)
EC CL2826 High Efficiancy 1350kv Brushless Motor
Turnigy Nano-Tech 1300mAh 4S 45-90C Lipo 14.8v
Turnigy TG9e / 1.5kg servo

I can get the servos to work, but the motor doesn't spin up. Am I doing anything wrong? Having read some forums I think it may be to do with the battery (45-90C), but I'm not sure what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pewee2000

I've just solved my own question.

It's not obvious that the battery through the esc battery elimination cable shouldn't plug into the batt port of the receiver, but in port 3. My receiver only has numbers and then battery and bind. It made sense to me that servos go in the numbered slots and the battery through the battery slot. Otherwise how do the servos get their power. Other receivers have the word throttle on it. Anyway this sort of thing should be made clear on the receiver.

On another point my motor (now that it spins up), makes a juddering while its spins and when it spins slowly it sometimes sounds like it's spinning, but it's not. Is this a dodgy motor or is this normal?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Do you get the beeps from the controller when you connect the battery?
The transmitter shall be on before you connect the battery to the ESC.
You will first hear some beeps to tell that the Power is on.
After short you will hear some more beeps to acknowledge that the ESC has got the zero signal from the transmitter.
If not - you might need to reverse the throttle channel or adjust the zero trim.

Last edited:

Pewee2000

I get a single beep from the motor weirdly. The motor spins up now when I raise the throttle, but it seems if I push the throttle higher it sounds like it's still running but stops spinning the prop shaft. It's just happened again whilst typing this, but this time when I pushed it higher it stopped and just started smoking! (the motor that is, not the esc). I think i've killed the motor.

tramsgar

Yep, it's dead, Jim. Sorry =(. Normally throttle is channel 1, but it shouldn't die unless you push it too hard (too large prop) or give it too much voltage. That motor should take 4S. Details?

RoyBro

Mentor
Throttle on channel 3 here as well. Having it on channel 1 is probably an EU thing, like mode 1 over mode 2.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Throttle on channel 1 is a JR thing...possibly others but JR that I know for sure.

Pewee2000

Yep, it's dead, Jim. Sorry =(. Normally throttle is channel 1, but it shouldn't die unless you push it too hard (too large prop) or give it too much voltage. That motor should take 4S. Details?

This is as much as I know about the motor (EC CL2826 High Efficiancy 1350kv Brushless Motor).

I thought that it doesn't matter what 'S' battery you have in terms of the motor. Isn't it the ESC that has to be able to take 14.8v as it only draws what motor needs for its kv value.

Ive ordered a replacement motor - XYH 28-26B 1350Kv Brushless Outrunner (www.giantshark.co.uk/product/168876/xyh-28-26b-1350kv-brushless-outrunner)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Kv is how many revolutions per volt the unloaded motor will give you. So, the S or cell count matters a lot.

Take a 1000 kv motor. Power it with 1S or 3v (rounding the numbers for simplicity) motor will spin 3000 RPM (no load).
2S or 6v=6000, etc.

It can be complicated but if you take it one thing at a time, it's not too bad.
Higher cell counts can also be more efficient and usually draw less amperage

tramsgar

This is as much as I know about the motor (EC CL2826 High Efficiancy 1350kv Brushless Motor).

I thought that it doesn't matter what 'S' battery you have in terms of the motor. Isn't it the ESC that has to be able to take 14.8v as it only draws what motor needs for its kv value.

The ESC is just a sophisticated three phase switch, it doesn't regulate the voltage per se. Not the amps either, btw, unless it has overcurrent protection which is just a shut-off switch (which I think your Mystery ESC has).

From your motor's death description (running without spinning the shaft) something must've been loose, some grub screw maybe? Still as no-load amps are low, who knows.