Elevon Mixing Troubles.

rtchal

Hey everyone,
I just got an FT Arrow, Powerpack A, FrSky Taranis QX7, S6R receiver, and Tatto 3s 850mAh batter for my first setup. I've got the thing built, but am having some major issues getting the darn thing to work right. I have followed several tutorials on how to set up the elevon mixing, but after creating several new models from scratch, I end up with the same result. One servo acts as the aileron and the other as the elevator. They simply aren't mixing. If I reverse the direction of either channel for the servos, they switch. (The one that was acting as aileron is now acting as elevator and vise versa.) I can take photos of the LCD on the transmitter if you guys need, but I am fairly certain I have it correct.

The other odd thing that seems to be happening is that the throttle seems to act normal until the stick is centered, then everything above center stick sounds like it is full throttle.

I have updated the firmware of both the transmitter and receiver. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the receiver. Any ideas? I got very frustrated last night trying to figure it out.

d8veh

Elite member
Can you do elevons with that receiver? Surely it would be a bit weird with the gyro effects? Assuming that you don't want the giro, you can switch it off if you run the lua script that you download from wherever you got the firmware. IIRC, it's in the same zip file.

I'm not an expert on these. I just followed what's in the Youtube videos, but I seem to remember that the channel sequence is very important. You must assign things to the right channels.

rtchal

I'll look into the channels to see if the software wants something else, but right now I have the servos plugged into 1 and 2 and throttle on 3, as labeled on the receiver itself.
The gyro does support delta wing configuration and is in the setup lua script for the receiver.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
FrSky Taranis QX7
I believe you are you using OpenTx. I use Er9x myself I believe the two are related. You should have a predefined mix for elevons. Select it if you have not already. You should have a screen in your Tx that shows what the servos should be doing. Do both channels respond to stick movement? Elevator input should have both channels going the same way. Aileron input should have them going opposite direction. If your screen has both channels responding correctly, then the problem is in the Rx. If the channels are not responding correctly, we need to work on Tx mixes.

Last edited:

jaredstrees

Yes, the taranis supports elevon mixing. I'd have to look at mine, but I believe you need to copy the ailerons and the assign a 50% value to the copies. I will look at my setup when I get home and post how I have it done. I'm sure someone else on here knows the process off hand, though. I got it right and have copied that mix into all other plane with elevons, so I haven't actually done the procedure much.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Have you checked U Tube as there are a number of videos on setting up elevon mixing. Some quite detailed!

Here is just one;

Have fun!

d8veh

Elite member
There are some special requirements for setting up the S6R. It's not just a matter of plugging in the servos to the right channels. You have to have your transmitter channels in the right sequence too. You need to watch a video on how to setup the S6R/. Even if you want to run it in stabilisation mode, you need the lua script to get it working in the right direction.

donalson

X7, S6R receiv
There are some special requirements for setting up the S6R. It's not just a matter of plugging in the servos to the right channels. You have to have your transmitter channels in the right sequence too. You need to watch a video on how to setup the S6R/. Even if you want to run it in stabilisation mode, you need the lua script to get it working in the right direction.

THIS... you can set the SR rx to a standard passthough rx but if you got it you prob want to use it as such... youtube will be your friend and it might take a while... any reversing you are doing is going to be in the SRx not the TX... the TX will have a standard non mixed setup.

rtchal

I believe you are you using OpenTx. I use Er9x myself I believe the two are related. You should have a predefined mix for elevons. Select it if you have not already. You should have a screen in your Tx that shows what the servos should be doing. Do both channels respond to stick movement? Elevator input should have both channels going the same way. Aileron input should have them going opposite direction. If your screen has both channels responding correctly, then the problem is in the Rx. If the channels are not responding correctly, we need to work on Tx mixes.
Yes, the screen with the little feedback graph shows both channels responding in the same direction for elevators and in opposite directions for ailerons.

Have you checked U Tube as there are a number of videos on setting up elevon mixing. Some quite detailed!

Here is just one;

Have fun!
That is one of the ones that I followed, and I have been using that guy for a lot of information on the QX7. He is super easy for me to understand and follow.

THIS... you can set the SR rx to a standard passthough rx but if you got it you prob want to use it as such... youtube will be your friend and it might take a while... any reversing you are doing is going to be in the SRx not the TX... the TX will have a standard non mixed setup.

I'll go back through the video I was watching on the S6R. In the tutorial I was following, he was using a standard 4ch. plane with elevator and rudder, so when he got to the part of setting up the transmitter after running the lua for the receiver, I thought I was supposed to set up my mix. Hopefully this is the problem!

Thank you everyone for the replies! Now that I am off work, I will experiment with it some more and post my results.

rtchal

I've got the elevons to work properly now, thanks to everyone for that. I am still however having issues with the throttle. I only have active input up to the 'half throttle' position, then it is at full throttle all the way from half position to full throttle position. Any ideas here?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I've got the elevons to work properly now, thanks to everyone for that. I am still however having issues with the throttle. I only have active input up to the 'half throttle' position, then it is at full throttle all the way from half position to full throttle position. Any ideas here?

What is your expo setting?

rtchal

What is your expo setting?
I think I finally figured it out. Weight was set to 100 and offset to 0. When I switched weight to 50 and offset to -50, it seemed to lengthen the span of the throttle movement. If any of what I said made sense, haha. Thanks for pointing in the right direction! I am totally new to all of this.

If this wasn't the proper way to do this, or if there is a better way, please let me know!

Fyathyrio

There should be no mixing on the throttle, you likely just need to calibrate the ESC. Remove mix in Tx, move throttle to max, plug in plane, wait for beeps (will be different than normal beeps when powering up), move throttle to zero, wait for normal startup beeps (may not happen, depends on ESC). Unplug plane, plug back in, test, should be fine. The ESC needs to learn the full range of throttle signals it'll receive.

rtchal

There should be no mixing on the throttle, you likely just need to calibrate the ESC. Remove mix in Tx, move throttle to max, plug in plane, wait for beeps (will be different than normal beeps when powering up), move throttle to zero, wait for normal startup beeps (may not happen, depends on ESC). Unplug plane, plug back in, test, should be fine. The ESC needs to learn the full range of throttle signals it'll receive.
Ahh, I was unaware. That worked for the throttle, thanks! Do I need to do that for the aileron and elevator controls as well?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I think I finally figured it out. Weight was set to 100 and offset to 0. When I switched weight to 50 and offset to -50, it seemed to lengthen the span of the throttle movement. If any of what I said made sense, haha. Thanks for pointing in the right direction! I am totally new to all of this.
If this wasn't the proper way to do this, or if there is a better way, please let me know!

I'm not sure what you mean by "weight". Is that some kind of stabilization? I see mention of a gyro. As @Fyathyrio stated you don't want any expo on the throttle. On a standard setup, most people would be happy with something like 40% expo for the control surfaces. There's no calibration really for the servos. Just fine tuning with trims and endpoints sometimes as needed.

rtchal

I'm not sure what you mean by "weight". Is that some kind of stabilization? I see mention of a gyro. As @Fyathyrio stated you don't want any expo on the throttle. On a standard setup, most people would be happy with something like 40% expo for the control surfaces. There's no calibration really for the servos. Just fine tuning with trims and endpoints sometimes as needed.
In the Mixer settings on the FrSky Taranis QX7, there is a setting labeled "Weight." It is not for the stabilization. It seems to be related to the amount of output given in relation to the input. Setting Weight to 50 outputs 50% power at 100% throttle.

Mozella

The S6R is easy to set up; it's just that the procedure is a bit long. I won't go into great detail, but I will mention several important steps.

Download the latest software to the TX micro SD card. Instructions are on the Internet.
Download the latest S6R firmware and put it into the FIRMWARE section of the SD card. The S8R uses different firmware. BE SURE you use the appropriate firmware for your location. One version is for the U.S. and the other is for most of the rest of the world. This is IMPORTANT. The file name will give a clue, but they change the format from time to time. Look for part of the file name to contain "FCC" for the American version and perhaps something like "EU" in the firmware as part of the file name for the rest of the world. You'll figure it out.

Make up a 3 wire cable to connect the smart port of RX to the connection in the bottom of your Q7 transmitter. You must reverse two of the wires in this cable; instructions are on the Internet. Be sure you connect the correct end to the RX and the correct end to the TX and make sure you have them plugged in right-way-round. Check the Internet.
Now push the appropriate TX buttons to find the FIRMWARE page, select the firmware for your receiver, and flash the receiver.
When flashing is complete, disconnect the special flashing cable you just made up and keep it in a safe place so you don't confuse it with a servo extension.
Hook up the RX to an ESC and battery and bind it to your TX.
Now go to the TX SCRIPTS page and calibrate the RX. This involves following the script instructions as you orientate the RX gyro by placing the RX face up, face down, end up, end down, right side, and left side; i.e. all six sides. You push the enter button each time. Be SURE to wait for the yellow LED to quit flashing before you go to the next position. Now the RX knows which way is up, so to speak. You only do this once when the RX is new.
Now run the other Lua script (use the same script for either the 6 or 8 channel RX. I think it's called Lua SxR) and tell your TX that you're flying a DELTA configuration. Accept the default on most of the other selections unless you have a good reason not to. For example, I mount my RXs with the pins aft and the label up, but if you mount yours differently now is the time to make the appropriate selection.
Now hook up your plane being sure to put the left elevon servo on the AIL channel. Put the right elevon servo on the ELV channel and hook the ESC to the Throttle pins. You should have the first three rows of pins connected and the others blank. Be sure you position the signal wire properly. The orientation for the S8R is the other way round (go figure). You'll see a little diagram on the side of the RX.
Now test the throw direction. Depending on how you mount your servos and control horns, the throws will be OK or not. Go to the OUTPUT menu or Mixing menu and reverse the directions as necessary. You may have to do nothing, one servo, or perhaps both.
Once you have the controls going in the right direction, check the stabilization reaction.
You should have set stabilization on one of the three position switches so that you can select OFF, Stabilization On, or Wings Level Mode.
Start with the stabilization off and wiggle the airplane if you've mounted your receiver or just the receiver if it's not yet mounted. Nothing should happen. Don't forget to mount your RX in the proper orientation and firmly held down with Velcro or double sided tape. Otherwise, the giro won't work properly.
Now select stabilization on and you should see the controls react opposite from the way you move the receiver; i.e. if you jerk the nose up, the elevators should produce a brief nose down reaction. It may be hard to see. Turn the stabilization gain up if necessary. You should have the gain control assigned to one of the rotary dials. Check the Internet for details.
Select Wings Level mode, tilt the airplane, and you should see the elevons (or elevator and ailerons for conventional aircraft) react significantly to bring the wings and nose level. As you tilt the plane back toward level you'll see the controls slowly return to an in trim position.
It's quite possible for the reaction to be reversed for one or both servos. If so, and if the regular control sticks are working in the proper direction, go back to the Lua script and inverse the reactions using the Lua script. Don't reverse the stabilization reactions by using the output or mixing menu. Use the Lua script for inverting the stabilization reactions and use the output or mixing menu for the regular control sticks.
Double check to be SURE everything is going the right direction. If your controls are reversed or if your stabilization reactions are reversed you WILL crash on your maiden flight.
Finally, tell your receiver how you want your aircraft to fly in Wings Level mode. Set the plane on a table with the wings level and the nose slightly up so that it will fly level or in a very slight climb when you invoke the wings level mode. This is the suggested set up method. You tell your RX about this position by having the TX and RX on and bound. Then you push the little button on the reciever and wait for a few seconds. You'll hear some beeps and the control surfaces will wiggle a couple of times. After than, move your ELV and AIL sticks to their full extend and the rudder as well for a conventional aircraft. CAREFUL: Do NOT bump the throttle because at this point you must likely have a prop installed. Finally disconnect the battery and the RX will remember what it thinks is the wings level flying attitude. You can also invoke this self check by setting up channel 12 on a three position switch and rapidly moving it back and forth through the mid position several times. The Internet has details.

Or, after you gain a bit of experience, you can do what I do. I set up my conventional planes as above. but I position my hand launch planes on a table so that the wings are level and the nose is way up, around 25 degrees or so when I push the button on the RX so it can learn the attitude for wings level. Then I launch them with the wings level mode active. No matter how poor my hand toss is, the plane immediately goes to wings level and sets up a significant climb. I can take my time getting my thumbs on the sticks. After the plane gains some altitude, I turn off the Wings Level mode and revert to normal stabilization on mode which is my normal flying mode. Keep in mind that the first method will work well for beginning flyers who can benefit from learning to fly with the wings level mode on all the time. If in doubt, let go of everything and you'll be OK.

But soon a beginner will transition to normal stabilization mode which is essentially like old school flying with a little help for gusty wind conditions. The gain control can give you as much or as little stabilization augmentation as you wish.

Since I no longer use wings level mode for ordinary flying, it is nice to set up the wings level mode for a significant climb right after releasing a hand launch. It's not so useful for normal flying when I set it up this way, but it is wonderful for hand launching. Still, if I lose visual orientation, the emergency use of wings level mode remains valuable, realizing that the plane will fly wings level and climbing while I get reoriented.

Dig around the Internet for details on how to perform the steps I've outlined. Do NOT skip any steps. Soon you will be enjoying your FrSky gear which I think offers the best bang for the buck plus it can do lots of stuff the more expensive gear can't. Just be sure to triple check the control throw direction both for normal flying and stabilization mode reaction.

Last edited:

kingstat

The S6R is easy to set up; it's just that the procedure is a bit long. I won't go into great detail, but I will mention several important steps.

I think you may have slipped into great detail territory. :) I am super appreciative that you did. I have pretty much the same hardware on order as OP above and this will be very helpful for me.

Mozella

Thanks for the compliment; however, there really is a LOT of detail left out. I typed those instructions off the top of my head and, to use one example, I omitted exactly how to make up a cable to flash the receiver from the transmitter using the firmware you've downloaded to the micro SD card. It's easy but you MUST do it right and that's where the Internet comes in.
Likewise, many of the other steps require a peek at a video or the FrSky instruction sheet or an Internet reference of some kind. None of it is really difficult, but there are places you can get one wheel in the ditch if you aren't careful. I hope my little write-up will guide you to success.

I was flying three different hand launched aircraft today, all in wings level mode for the first few seconds. The S6R receiver performed perfectly. All of us have seen guys launch their plane and immediately auger-in 10 feet away because they couldn't get to the TX sticks quickly enough. I've done it myself in the past, but no longer. For that reason alone, I really like my FrSky stabilized gear.