Elevons and Mixing Help Req- FT Delta

mildman

Hi All,

This is my first post here; I'm very, very new to RC and following an airboat that I've built, after finding Flitetest on YouTube, I decided to build the Delta.

The build went ok thanks to all the videos and advice on here and I'm happy with it and the powerpod.

My problem is understanding the elevon mixing. Whilst watching vids for delta wing mixing advice, the elevons on other wings go above and below the main wing, whereas the FT Delta just has the elevon up, no movement down.
Although I've got my servo and transmitter/receiver doing the right things in terms of how it responds to the stick, my servos are still trying to push the elevons beyond the range of the FT Delta throws.

Can anyone offer advice on how I correct this, might it be that the servos are not centred in the right position or is it something more complicated.
I'm sorry if this a silly question but I really am a super-noob and have spent hours trying to figure it out.

I'm not risking my maiden RC plane flight (panicking already lol) until I understand what the elevons are supposed to be doing :-/

Hope someone can advise,

Neil

defhermit

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the FT Delta just has the elevon up, no movement down". How would the plane dive?

I use a cheap hobby king transmitter that you need to program using an application on your computer, so I found this video very helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fsng6Fw0r0

If your elevons are BOTH not moving at all downward, AND moving too far UP, then it sounds like you just need to adjust the whole shebang via your control rod fasteners right?

mildman

Hi, thank you for replying.

Your first sentence is my problem, they physically cannot move down. I think by clarifying the 'dive' point, you've made me look at the physical mechanism...
I thought I'd cut my bevels correctly but it's obvious that I've not done it properly and there is still foam in the hinge stopping the movement.

I'm fairly sure I have the mixing and throws ok, hence the bowing on linkage arm when in tries to push the elevon down.

Huge thanks for replying, I'll update you once I've improved my bevelling and get the full range.

Neil.

mildman

Which hole on the servo arm do you have the control rod going through?

I've gone with the middle to start with, where do you recommend?...it's not the kit build, I'm using a taller control horn than the kit has.

Thanks,

Neil

defhermit

Hi, thank you for replying.

Your first sentence is my problem, they physically cannot move down. I think by clarifying the 'dive' point, you've made me look at the physical mechanism...
I thought I'd cut my bevels correctly but it's obvious that I've not done it properly and there is still foam in the hinge stopping the movement.

I'm fairly sure I have the mixing and throws ok, hence the bowing on linkage arm when in tries to push the elevon down.

Huge thanks for replying, I'll update you once I've improved my bevelling and get the full range.

Neil.

well that would certainly account for it! make sure you can physically move the control surfaces manually the way you want the control rod to do it...

hope it gets resolved for ya!

mildman

Phew, it was the poor bevelling; I have good movement up and down now and have amended the dual rate settings to match the build spec.

Two steps left...build the landing gear, then get a more appropriate battery, I've got a 2200 3s and it's way too heavy.

I think I'm ready to fly then :)

Thanks again!

Tater76

I use an 800mah 3s battery, and LOVE the amount of flight time! It suits the plane too :) I would also advise a prop saver if you don't have one. It will cut down on broken props, and is much less frustrating when you are learning.

mildman

Thanks Tater.

Will take that advice, my motor is too big anyway I think (from a small airboat), so just ordered a smaller motor (with prop saver) and 800mah LipPo from HK.
Dreading the first flight lol

Cheers.