Elevons setup

I have built a new ft bronco with the A tail not realising that I have to do channel mixesbor something for the elevons. I have a spektrum DXE transmitter and a matching 6 channel receiver not including the throttle port. Anyone got any ideas?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Plug one aileron into the aileron channel and the other into the elevator channel. Then select the elevon mix from the menu.

Now you’re going to have some trial & error. There are 8 possible combinations to get everything going the correct way. You may need to reverse the aileron and/or the elevator channels. If none of those 4 possible combinations work, switch the channels the ailerons are plugged into. Then try all the reverse channel combinations again.

My issue is is that I don't think my transmitter is capabl. It's is a baseline DXE with no menu or screen and I don't know how to program it

Andrew

G'day Mate
I have built a new ft bronco with the A tail not realising that I have to do channel mixesbor something for the elevons. I have a spektrum DXE transmitter and a matching 6 channel receiver not including the throttle port. Anyone got any ideas?
The Bronco doesn't use "elevon" mix, bad things will happen if you try.
I think what you mean is V-tail (A-tail) mix, unfortunately I don't think the DXE app can do V-tail? .
This is what people use when they don't have a computer radio for V-tail (A-tail) mixing
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-v-tail-mixer-ultra-small.html?___store=en_us

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Does the DXE app have a V tail mixer on it or is that a separate thingbalp together?

Per Spektrum's Air Compatibility chart, the DXe does NOT have V-Tail capabilities. That functionality doesn't show up until you have a DX6e or better - unfortunately, this is a problem with having the lowest end transmitters - regardless of which brand you use, certain features/functionality don't become available until you spend a little more money.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I use the DXe as well and yes it is limited, there are upgrades I hear you can download to it for flapperons but I think that's where it stops so far. Considering you have to use a PC to program it you would think a simple software upgrade for this stuff would be a 1.2.3. operation but I guess not. I am sure upgrading the Dxe wouldn't hurt the sales of their higher end models. If anything just being a consumer with the rest of the market to choose from, I am going to upgrade away from Spektrum and get into the Jumper T16 Pro instead. Unlimited possibilities for what I need it for, and the price is bang for the buck awesome

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I use the DXe as well and yes it is limited, there are upgrades I hear you can download to it for flapperons but I think that's where it stops so far. Considering you have to use a PC to program it you would think a simple software upgrade for this stuff would be a 1.2.3. operation but I guess not. I am sure upgrading the Dxe wouldn't hurt the sales of their higher end models. If anything just being a consumer with the rest of the market to choose from, I am going to upgrade away from Spektrum and get into the Jumper T16 Pro instead. Unlimited possibilities for what I need it for, and the price is bang for the buck awesome

I hear a lot of people wanting to make that move, and I'm skeptical of it, especially when I've looked at the company's homepage and a good portion of it is written in Chinese characters. One of the reasons I've stayed with Spektrum is their customer support and "English as a first language" written manuals. If you have success with Jumper, great, more power to you - I'm just a little leery of having a problem with it and contacting the company to maybe be told to watch a YouTube video instead of them explaining a setting, or getting warranty coverage. I don't know what they're like to deal with; it's a lot of unknowns, but I've had experience with other Chinese companies in the past with no responses for parts or service/support...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I hear a lot of people wanting to make that move, and I'm skeptical of it, especially when I've looked at the company's homepage and a good portion of it is written in Chinese characters. One of the reasons I've stayed with Spektrum is their customer support and "English as a first language" written manuals. If you have success with Jumper, great, more power to you - I'm just a little leery of having a problem with it and contacting the company to maybe be told to watch a YouTube video instead of them explaining a setting, or getting warranty coverage. I don't know what they're like to deal with; it's a lot of unknowns, but I've had experience with other Chinese companies in the past with no responses for parts or service/support...
I can not agree more, Spektrums customer service is amazing. They have the people and the product to back it up. I have though watched a few review vids on the Jumper T16 and most start out with the same skeptical view. X-jet and Josh Bardwell both were on the fence until they used it and found it to be a great bang for the buck, Josh even did a follow up vid or two on it and he was even more impressed with it in the second vid then the first. I have talked to few people here in the forums about it and from what i can tell it is a Tx that has more functionality then we will use on average and if you do venture in the strange or groundbreaking it will handle that as well. Plus open protocol, come on, only great things can happen there.

As far as customer support goes, you are right, I don't know or have heard of the problem control yet. Having vids to learn from, there are plenty out there to watch from different creators so you get a good gamete of opinions and angles. As I can tell as the company gains popularity on the market they are stepping up their game to bring the best product possible.

Yeah ok thank yo guys! But one last thing. Do you have any recommendations of a transmitter and receiver that has at least 6 channels and the kind of customization I need that would be nice. My only issue is my budget can't exceed 275 ish and I don't know any other companies really well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah ok thank yo guys! But one last thing. Do you have any recommendations of a transmitter and receiver that has at least 6 channels and the kind of customization I need that would be nice. My only issue is my budget can't exceed 275 ish and I don't know any other companies really well.
Jumper T16 Pro at around $160 and any receiver you can get your hands on. You can get decent 6ch receivers for $20. This transmitter will be your Tx for life

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whilst I am in the process of purchasing a Spektrum or similar, (for training and test flying purposes only), I still recommend the FlySky/Turnigy iA6 radio. I have been instructing on mine for over a year now and due to the length of the Rx antenna leads, the price of the receivers, the simple mixes, (basic ones are menu selected), 20 model memory, Transmit diversity antennas as well as diversity receiver antennas,6 channel operation, and a price around $50 it is extremely hard to beat. In the time I have been instructing on the SkyFly my students have NEVER lost a plane or had one damaged to a point of being beyond repair. (Most crashes are very minor and only need a replacement prop).

Buddy box capable and off the shelf dongle to connect it to that favourite flight simulator are added benefits.

For the money the new Spektrum DX6 G3 is good value as is the Jumper with its shortcomings BUT on cost, value and performance alone as the measure, only the FlySky is almost impossible to beat.

Since upgrading to my FlySky radios I have not lost a plane or even flown one into a tree, (regardless of weather). Now I only crash when I do something silly or adventurous:rolleyes:. I now have 2 of the FlySky transmitters and around 30 receivers:unsure:!

I may consider a Jumper or similar in the future but it will need to be modified for antenna diversity before it is ever used to fly a model. The lack of antenna diversity is something you need to be able to compensate for in your flying. A LOS, (Loss of Signal), can make learning extremely difficult and also make the hobby quite expensive in both time and money.

Remember whatever you buy you will have to live with it for a fairly long time!

As an instructor I fly anyone's radio BUT I only relax when flying with my diversity FlySky or with the Spektrum DX6 G3, (with a proper long wire antenna pair fitted to the receiver)!

Its a hard choice and many will make disparaging remarks about radios that they have never used or properly evaluated and promote the radio that they use as being somehow superior. You really need to do your homework if you are to find a radio that will last you a long time and allow you to learn to fly.

Have fun!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Two suggestions here. I have two transmitters that I love, the FLYsky fsi6 and the Taranis QX7. The Flysky fsi6 has enough features for most intermediate planes out there (vtail, elevons, flaperons, and three mixes) and the Taranis QX7 has enough features for nearly everyone on this forum. The main difference is price point. The Flysky is about $50 and it a great beginner radio, and the Taranis is about $115 and will allow you to get deeper into the hobby with more advanced features.