EMALS system for one of the Edgewater runways.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok. Just saw this Tom Stanton video and I think FT needs to work on one of their own to launch foam board planes. With enough testing I am sure we / they could come up with a weight based system like on aircraft carriers to launch all sorts of FT planes without shredding them. It will also have the advantage of having electricity out at the field for the launch system. No more irregular hand tossing things.

I think once I learn how to fly fixed wing I would want to make one over time to save my shoulders and be more consistent with launches. This could also benefit hi start launches without needing super long bungie cords prone to snapping.

Taildragger

Legendary member
Ok. Just saw this Tom Stanton video and I think FT needs to work on one of their own to launch foam board planes. With enough testing I am sure we / they could come up with a weight based system like on aircraft carriers to launch all sorts of FT planes without shredding them. It will also have the advantage of having electricity out at the field for the launch system. No more irregular hand tossing things.

I think once I learn how to fly fixed wing I would want to make one over time to save my shoulders and be more consistent with launches. This could also benefit hi start launches without needing super long bungie cords prone to snapping.

i wathced that earlier today. loved the hotdog part.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FT aura or iNav with Launch mode is priceless for getting in the air, epescially if flying FPV and your spotter has a bad shoulder!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
FT aura or iNav with Launch mode is priceless for getting in the air, epescially if flying FPV and your spotter has a bad shoulder!

Whats this spotter thing you speak of.. do they even have shoulders?

I bet the magnets wouldn't play well with the stabilizers...

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

The magnets would be lower under the assembly with the launch hook on a rail system several inches above the coils. Besides the coils only fire for microseconds which would barely have the field strength to bother much of anything once the magnetic media utilizes the lines of flux.

SSgt Duramax

I thought about posting this. It would be fantastic. Of course if they did build one, it would need to go on an aircraft carrier.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I thought about posting this. It would be fantastic. Of course if they did build one, it would need to go on an aircraft carrier.

I was serious about making or having one made for one of the runways as a permanent thing. I already have a design idea would just have to experiment with a length to run the shuttle as well as how to space and time the coils to be able to launch various weight aircraft with out dead catting or shredding them with too little or too much power.