Emax ECO vs Grand Turbo vs Red Bottoms

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've been shopping for some motors and noticed that Emax ECO motors were cheaper than the red bottoms, even with the same specs. The Emax website doesn't have much information (and it's a little odd to use) so I was wondering if there was much of a difference between ECO's Grand Turbo's and Red bottoms, and whether it's worth the price.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I had a set of the eco 1 motors and the timing with my esc's (cheap ebay simonk ones) must have been off since they didn't give me any more thrust past 3/4 throttle and sounded weird. I haven't had any issues with any of my other motors with the same esc's so I've avoided the ecos ever since. With a little research/work I could probably get them to work but it's worth the extra couple bucks for me to get something that works from the get-go...

Corsair714

I've been shopping for some motors and noticed that Emax ECO motors were cheaper than the red bottoms, even with the same specs. The Emax website doesn't have much information (and it's a little odd to use) so I was wondering if there was much of a difference between ECO's Grand Turbo's and Red bottoms, and whether it's worth the price.
I've really been liking the dys samguk wei. It's been a great motor in my experience. They're pretty cheap too.

whackflyer

Master member
I have a 2306 Eco that works fine, it's open on the bottom tho, so it's easier to get junk in it, and it doesn't appear to be quite as tough. I haven't messed it up yet but the construction just doesn't look as solid as a red bottom.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Pretty much any of the Emax motors are solid choices. I have not found a bad on yet. I was strictly emax on my big quads until they stopped making the white top 2306 so i couldn't get replacement for when I fried on do to an esc getting wet. I tried the eco motors on my three inch builds and love them. you do however have to be sure the pole counts are correctly set in Betaflight as the defaults do not and that makes motors act and sound weird as well as heat them up really good no matter what your tune. also the ECO bearings seem to want more frequent lubrication then other Emax. I have head on trees, metal poles, tumbled my quads 40+ yards after full speed crashes on hard ball fields never bent a bell or broke a shaft. the only thing on the earlier ones was losing those stupid e clips when removing bells to clean mud an gunk out of the windings. The ones with the screws on the shafts are awesome.

I decided to try the Catalyst Machine Works Gabby Chavez V2's and those are the absolute best I have flown. Super powerful, extremely smooth and run very cool no matter how hard you push them.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I've never used them on quads (probably about time I got one actually) but I do have two of the Ecos. I have some of the cheap simonk escs too, but I've never been able to make them work with any motor at all. Same issue as @The Hangar. The motors work fine when you pair them with a functioning esc, they're solid little motors.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I've never used them on quads (probably about time I got one actually) but I do have two of the Ecos. I have some of the cheap simonk escs too, but I've never been able to make them work with any motor at all. Same issue as @The Hangar. The motors work fine when you pair them with a functioning esc, they're solid little motors.
Hmm. I've used the simonk esc's with great luck on most of my motors.