Emax Hawk 5 faulty motor? Or??

CMadman

so i just got my hawk 5. And whaddya know. My luck ceases to amaze me. Got everything setup. Firmware updates for my controller betaflight all that jazz. Configuring everything and everything is cool. Go to run my motors and this nonsense happens. Brand new out the box. Tried flying it couldnt get 2 inches off the ground it just loses balance and the props dip into the ground. No clue what the problem is. Any ideas? I seem to be keen to one of a kind problems.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Might be a connector problem. Ive had that slow down a motor. Make sure the esc for is set for throttle limits. They usually come set but I would re arm it so it receives full throttle input from the tx.

FDS

Elite member
You should be able to check each motor with the PROPS OFF in the motor tab in Betaflight, if each one in turn works when you operate the tabs one at a time then the motors and ESC’s are OK, since you are operating them without the FC. That leaves you with a set up problem not hardware.
Did you backup the whole standard configuration before you changed anything? If so then you can try resetting to the as supplied configuration and then see if it’s still doing the same thing.
Sorry if I missed something in your video, I can’t watch it at present so this reply contains some guess work.

CMadman

Might be a connector problem. Ive had that slow down a motor. Make sure the esc for is set for throttle limits. They usually come set but I would re arm it so it receives full throttle input from the tx.
What should my throttle limits be? Im totally fine with super slowness for the time being lol. Even though i doubt ill get this thing up in the air. Its being really finicky.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I didn't see anything wrong in the video, armed copters with no props on will do strange things as the FC is unable to affect it's attitude. Can you get some video of it with the props on trying to fly?

CMadman

I
You should be able to check each motor with the PROPS OFF in the motor tab in Betaflight, if each one in turn works when you operate the tabs one at a time then the motors and ESC’s are OK, since you are operating them without the FC. That leaves you with a set up problem not hardware.
Did you backup the whole standard configuration before you changed anything? If so then you can try resetting to the as supplied configuration and then see if it’s still doing the same thing.
Sorry if I missed something in your video, I can’t watch it at present so this reply contains some guess work.
i backed everything up before my firmware update i believe. I just got this yesterday. Spent all of yesterday night updating firmware to my taranis getting betaflight etc etc. woke up this morning watched s
Is the motor cutting out? I didn't get much info on the problem from the video.
did you read the description?

CMadman

I didn't see anything wrong in the video, armed copters with no props on will do strange things as the FC is unable to affect it's attitude. Can you get some video of it with the props on trying to fly?
It does not fly. It goes off balance due to the rear motor and the props go into the ground

FDS

Elite member
Are all your motors rotating the right way and the props on correctly, both rotation and correct side up?

CMadman

Are all your motors rotating the right way and the props on correctly, both rotation and correct side up?
Yes sir. Checked my battery voltages. Checked the plug from the hawk. Theres no short. Gonna do a full recharge on the battery then give her another go. Theres no point in putting the props on if one motor is being a doofus Lol and i never put the props on in the beta flight settings as i dont feel like slitting my wrists. Lol

FDS

Elite member
I meant were your props correct when you tried to fly it.
The behaviour on the bench with props off when armed is meaningless because there’s no load on the motors, it messes up the accelerometer and the pid looping.
All you can check there is that it arms and all the motors spin the right way. That’s why the first time you arm it and try to fly you do so in a big open space with your finger ready on the disarm!
This is not likely to be a battery problem. If there’s charge enough to turn any of the motors they will all respond to a straight throttle up unless something else is wrong.
Being a smug twat about it won’t get you further help.

Last edited:

CMadman

I meant were your props correct when you tried to fly it.
The behaviour on the bench with props off when armed is meaningless because there’s no load on the motors, it messes up the accelerometer and the pid looping.
All you can check there is that it arms and all the motors spin the right way. That’s why the first time you arm it and try to fly you do so in a big open space with your finger ready on the disarm!
This is not likely to be a battery problem. If there’s charge enough to turn any of the motors they will all respond to a straight throttle up unless something else is wrong.
Being a smug twat about it won’t get you further help.

Does humor elude you? Did i not address you by yes sir? Lol i wasnt at all in any sort of tude when i was texting that and yet somehow you picked up on something nonexistent. So congrats to you sir. You must have a really offputting personality to call someone you dont even know a smug twat. Im glad you somehow deduced thats what i was being from what i said somehow. Real perceptive lol but thank you for your input sir! I will most certainly try that now!