EMax Motor issue

dwulkan

Hi, I just today got my Power Pack C for my Sea Duck. So, I mounted both motors on the wooden firewalls (isn't that a misnomer?) and noticed that one motor took noticeably more effort to turn. I suspect it has something to do with the 3 point clip rubbing the center hole of the 'X' bracket. When I take the motor off the 'X' bracket it seems to turn well. Also, I can see some wear on the inner walls of the center hole. Anybody else experience this? How did you solve this problem? Should I return this motor?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
dwulkan,

First off, welcome to the forum!

about the E-clip . . .

First I'd double check to make sure it's fully seated on the shaft. there's usually more than enough clearance in the center of the X-mounts for the clip to spin freely, which means either the center hole is too narrow or the clip is sticking out a bit more than it should.

If all looks OK, I'd recommend either reaming or drilling out the hole a bit more -- if it turns stiffly when installed it's not going to take much more than a sliver of metal to get the clearance needed to spin freely. The metal in the X-mounts are usually pretty soft, so you might even be able to shave it down with an exacto blade.

One caution . . . set the motor aside while you do this. The motor's magnets LOVE metal filings, but the filings can do terrible things to your motor once they get inside. Best to keep the magnets away while you're cutting on the mount.

dwulkan

EMax motor issue resolved!

Thanks Craftydan,

You were right. The snap ring was not fully seated in the shaft groove. I thought maybe that or maybe there was a bearing problem but, I mounted the motor on the 'X' bracket and the motor turns as easy as the other motor now. So, I'm back to build out. Thanks again.

dwulkan,

First off, welcome to the forum!

about the E-clip . . .

First I'd double check to make sure it's fully seated on the shaft. there's usually more than enough clearance in the center of the X-mounts for the clip to spin freely, which means either the center hole is too narrow or the clip is sticking out a bit more than it should.

If all looks OK, I'd recommend either reaming or drilling out the hole a bit more -- if it turns stiffly when installed it's not going to take much more than a sliver of metal to get the clearance needed to spin freely. The metal in the X-mounts are usually pretty soft, so you might even be able to shave it down with an exacto blade.

One caution . . . set the motor aside while you do this. The motor's magnets LOVE metal filings, but the filings can do terrible things to your motor once they get inside. Best to keep the magnets away while you're cutting on the mount.

George_RC

This is my first entry in a forum ! I need to design a plane for a payload challenge. I have been given an E-Flite 1100kv 10 size brushless motor. I want to know how much power I can get out of it contiously without frying it. I know max burst current is 42 Amps so I have deicided to go maybe with 38 Amps for cruise. Very unsure of my decission due to lack of experience (newbe in the hobby). How much can I lift with this motor, wothout destroying it? Any feedback really apreciate.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The aircraft wing design, drag and propeller determine what you can lift. The motor is just a source of power to generate the forward motion required for the wing to work.

Start looking for STOL designs, will big, (high lift), wings and do not try for a high speed design. High speed means high drag, (a waste of propulsive power). For other design ideas you could look into other real aircraft like the Me 321 and the Me323 which used external bracing to support the wing when fully loaded and removed the need for heavy , (Fully self supporting), cantilever wing designs

Check out the STORCH design for an FT STOL design.