Emax mt 1806 1 beep every 3 s and stutter?

lukejackson

Hi,

I just finished building a foamboard Tiny Trainer with the following specs:

Transmitter:........Flysky FS - I6
Reciever:............FS - Ia6b
ESC:...................Hobbywing Skywalker 20a
Motor:.................Emax 1806 - 2280 KV
Battery:...............Turnigy 1000mAh 3s

Now when i connect my battery to the ESC i hear a 3 beep melody.
after a few seconds the motor beeps once and moves a tiny bit. that is repeated every 3 seconds.
moving the throttle does nothing. sadly i cant find a manual for that motor..
i can connect a servo to the reciever and use it normally.

any input is appreciated, ty

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The pattern you describe sounds like the pattern generated when the receive (Rx) is not getting any signal from the transmitter (Tx) but you say that a servo connected to the Rx works fine so then the ESC is not getting any signal (or the correct signal) from the Rx. Any loose wires at the ESC connector to the Rx. Have you connected it to the correct channel on the Rx?

DamoRC

p.s. - the stutter is just the motor making the beep sound (the ESC uses the coils in the motor as a speaker, so it is not unusual to see the motor jerk a little with the beeps)

Corbarrad

DamoRCs post is pretty much spot on.

I would suggest checking the orientation of your plug in the receiver(rx), but if the esc is powering your receiver that should be alright.

Another idea is that the esc is not yet calibrated to your Transmitter, gets signal for somewhere around half throttle and refuses to start running before 0% throttle is detected.
To remedy that the usual procedure is to take your prop off (!) set the throttle on your tx to full and then plug in the battery. There should be a series of tones, after which you're supposed to drop the throttle to 0 which will get you another few beeps and a clean calibration.
Throttle should immediately start working after that.
About 99.6% of all escs use that protocol to calibrate throttle, so give it a try.to my

One last thing that just came to my mind:
If you got the tx mentioned in your other thread I read somewhere in the manual that it's possible to program one of the switches as a throttle cut.
Make sure that's in the on position.
Sounds silly, but my first plane this century, a dynam hawksky had a TX where, if you powered it on with the throttle set to enabled you had to flip the switch to disable, then enable before anything would happen.
(edit) I just realized I confused you with another guy whose thread I posted in, but the throttle cutoff is still worth a try. my apologies for the mixup.

Last edited:

lukejackson

The pattern you describe sounds like the pattern generated when the receive (Rx) is not getting any signal from the transmitter (Tx) but you say that a servo connected to the Rx works fine so then the ESC is not getting any signal (or the correct signal) from the Rx. Any loose wires at the ESC connector to the Rx. Have you connected it to the correct channel on the Rx?

DamoRC

p.s. - the stutter is just the motor making the beep sound (the ESC uses the coils in the motor as a speaker, so it is not unusual to see the motor jerk a little with the beeps)

The reciever is powered through the ESC. loose wires could be a possibility, i did all the soldering myself and am pretty lousy at it. ill check.

yes i connected the ESC on the B/VCC and PPM/CH1 ports (same result), ground on the bottom like in the diagram i attached

DamoRCs post is pretty much spot on.

I would suggest checking the orientation of your plug in the receiver(rx), but if the esc is powering your receiver that should be alright.

Another idea is that the esc is not yet calibrated to your Transmitter, gets signal for somewhere around half throttle and refuses to start running before 0% throttle is detected.
To remedy that the usual procedure is to take your prop off (!) set the throttle on your tx to full and then plug in the battery. There should be a series of tones, after which you're supposed to drop the throttle to 0 which will get you another few beeps and a clean calibration.
Throttle should immediately start working after that.
About 99.6% of all escs use that protocol to calibrate throttle, so give it a try.to my

One last thing that just came to my mind:
If you got the tx mentioned in your other thread I read somewhere in the manual that it's possible to program one of the switches as a throttle cut.
Make sure that's in the on position.
Sounds silly, but my first plane this century, a dynam hawksky had a TX where, if you powered it on with the throttle set to enabled you had to flip the switch to disable, then enable before anything would happen.

I should have specified, this occured when i tried to calibrate the trottle. i can't get the calibration mode to start. the 2 beeps that should signal thottle top position never come, just the described behaviour.

i can only find an option "throttle hold" and that is turned off..

Attachments

• 500px-FlySky_IA6B_pinout-f89eed4f.jpg
    500px-FlySky_IA6B_pinout-f89eed4f.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0

Corbarrad

lukejackson said:
i can only find an option "throttle hold" and that is turned off..

Hmm. Will your servo move with the throttle when plugged into the throttle channel? if it does you definitely have an esc problem.
If you soldered the signal wire onto the esc yourself your fist test should probably be for short circuits between the individual ports.
Those pads are awfuly close to each other.

lukejackson

Hmm. Will your servo move with the throttle when plugged into the throttle channel? if it does you definitely have an esc problem.
If you soldered the signal wire onto the esc yourself your fist test should probably be for short circuits between the individual ports.
Those pads are awfuly close to each other.
I tried the servo in all channels but the B/VCC and the servo works in PPM/Ch1 when i move my right stick to the side and in CH2 when i move it up and down. it does not move with the throttle in PPM/CH1.
Again sorry for beeing unclear, i soldered the xt 30 connectors to the ESC- and Battery Cable. Also i soldered the bulletconnectors on the motor cables. any soldering beyond that is from the factory
Edit: i looked at my solder joints, they look fine to me, great for my standards. how can i check them beyond sight? a voltmeter?

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
Are you connecting the servos to the respective port (ie. throttle/esc to port 3) or are you trying to use the bus channel?
If you are using the ibus, you need to switch modes in the transmitter.
But I suspect you are not, try connecting the line from the ESC into port 3 (see pic.)
IMG_7421[1].JPG

Last edited:

lukejackson

OMFG I LOVE YOU!!!
now it works. IM SO CONFUSED but also VERY happy. thank you SO much!!!
i got the 2 beeps, configurated my throttle and now my motor runs. im elated!

to answer your first question. No i did not use iBus.

So why does it work in channel 3? according to the info i found on the web (which was really sparse, not going to buy flysky again!) the throttel is channel one?!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I'm pretty new at RC stuff too, but this seems to be a standard configuration for ports and what they do.

Don't give up on the flysky, it's a "good" starter system (not great, but for the price you can't beat it!)

If you have other questions just ask, I've found out this community is amazing for those of us just getting into the hobby, often times on our own without the benefit of mentors or a club.

lukejackson

I'm pretty new at RC stuff too, but this seems to be a standard configuration for ports and what they do.

Don't give up on the flysky, it's a "good" starter system (not great, but for the price you can't beat it!)

If you have other questions just ask, I've found out this community is amazing for those of us just getting into the hobby, often times on our own without the benefit of mentors or a club.

yeah so far i used the FT forum, the RCgroups forum and the RC subreddits and on every platform people have been very helpful.
with the flysky products the build quality seems good but the documentation is quite bad, thats where they save money i guess

Last edited: