Emax nighthawk 250

Sharcken

Hello everybody!

A while back I bought an Emax Nighthawk 250 Combo as my first FPV drone, and I thought it would be a good option to buy seeing as I am new to fpv and all the parts were already selected so I would not have any issues with compatibility. I was following a video to see how I should properly construct it and everything was going ok until I had to connect the receiver to the flight controller, it just didn't work so I tried some apps like Cleanflight and Betaflight but that didn't really work either, I was unable to control the trust of the engines or individually control each engine. I thought it might be a compatibility issue with the receiver and the transmitter, but I'm not sure and don't have much money to spare so I am asking the forum.

Any help on how to get the drone to work would be great! Thanks in advance!

This is the fpv kit: https://www.emaxmodel.com/nighthawk-250-280-pro-ii-all-carbon-fiber-quadcopter-combo.html

Reviver and transmitter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPNABYU/?tag=lstir-20

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That receiver is for airplanes mate.

I dont use spektrum radios so I cant point you to a specific receiver but I can say you need to look for receivers that use the sbus or ibus protocols for quads.

They have all signals over one wire and are much faster then having a signal wire for every channel.

Sharcken

thank you PsyBorg for your response. I was thinking the problem was something related to what you mentioned. If anyone has any good suggestions for what specific receiver to buy (that is compatible with a Spektrum DX9) that would be great!

FDS

Elite member
That is a PWM receiver designed for controlling servos. Great for an FT plane design, less good for a quad. You can use a Spektrum compatible Satellite Receiver from Orange or Lemon RX, which are both under $15 or the genuine Spektrum SPM4648 which is SBUS compatible and about $25.
The small satellite receivers need a bit of messing about with in the set up vs the Sbus one. Spektrum is not a very popular radio for quad pilots, as the receiver choice is limited and relatively expensive vs other protocols like FRsky.

Sharcken

Hello ElectiSean, the SKYLINE32 flight controller is indeed the one that came with the kit. I'm not very familiar with SBUS or PWM but I'm guessing they are different protocols. So as you say Spektrum SPM4648 won't work with the flight controller, so could you please tell me what Rx will work or alternatively buy a flight controller that is better (I would rather the first option as it sounds cheaper :) ). Thanks in advance!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Hello ElectiSean, the SKYLINE32 flight controller is indeed the one that came with the kit. I'm not very familiar with SBUS or PWM but I'm guessing they are different protocols. So as you say Spektrum SPM4648 won't work with the flight controller, so could you please tell me what Rx will work or alternatively buy a flight controller that is better (I would rather the first option as it sounds cheaper :) ). Thanks in advance!

Either the Spektrum SPM464 or the AR610 you have will work with that FC. To use the AR610, connect the signal pins of the Rx to the corresponding wire in the RC-IN connector on the FC and select PWM as your receiver type in Betaflight.

Reactions: FDS

Sharcken

Either the Spektrum SPM464 or the AR610 you have will work with that FC. To use the AR610, connect the signal pins of the Rx to the corresponding wire in the RC-IN connector on the FC and select PWM as your receiver type in Betaflight.

Thank you so much for clearing it up!