Emax SImonK ESC

Andy_

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an EMAX 12A ESC for my FT Mini Scout and can't get it working. I previously had a Turnigy plush 12A which worked just fine but I destroyed it one day by shorting it...

The problem with the new ESC is that, when connecting the battery I don't get the usual series of sartup beeps but a different series of beeps. Please see attached video for that:

Does anyone know what those beeps mean? Is there some kind of chart where I can look this up?

Apart from that everything else works just fine (BEC, Receiver, Servos). I used another ESC (Turnigy plush 30A) in the same setup and everthing is fine. I therefore ordered another EMAX 12A ESC because I thought that maybee the ESC is just faulty, but it is the exact same error - Everything working fine, but strange beeps and motor doesn't start!

I already played around a little with settings on my 9XR (changing PPM Channels and signal length etc.) Once or twice the motor actually started up just fine, but this is not reproduceable!!!

I think it is some kind of problem in comunication between ESC and receiver. I have really run out of ideas! Any suggestions are most welcome!!!

My system:
Turnigy 9XR
FrSky DJT Tx
V8FR-II Rx
9g servos
EMAX 12A ESC
EMAX MT1806 2280kv/Turnigy Park 480 1380kv (Problem with both motors the same thing!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

EDIT: I just got it working, but still I feel a little uncomfortable about it. The way i got it working was lowering the PPM FrLength on the 9XR to 18ms or lower. the problem is, that when I go to less than 18ms the servo behaviour will be very strange, e.g. only working when on full throttle, and things like that. What is also strange is, once the ESC has completed startup it will work fine when I the set PPM Frlength to more than 18ms. so those 18ms only seem to be required for startup?!?!

I really don't get it! If anyone has an explanation on this, I would be very grateful!

Best
Andy

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks for the suggestion. I have never used a servo tester. What additional information would it provide in the given scenario?

Since you got it working and identified the problem (sort of) nothing much in this case.

However it is useful to have because you can quickly test servos and ESCs without hooking up the radio. You can also use it to center your servos when building.

You may need to get a special one if you use fast digital servos but a standard one works on most analog and digital servos.

You can either power it with the BEC from your ESC or you can get a small 2S LifE 6.6v battery to power things.

It's just a way to isolate problems and check that stuff basically works the day you receive it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2RccSgGw00

Anther more exotic use is to use it to control a brushed ESC to make a hotwire foam cutter. David W did that for his original cut foam viggen.

http://flitetest.com/articles/hot-wire-cutting-foam

Andy_

Since you got it working and identified the problem (sort of) nothing much in this case.

However it is useful to have because you can quickly test servos and ESCs without hooking up the radio. You can also use it to center your servos when building.

You may need to get a special one if you use fast digital servos but a standard one works on most analog and digital servos.

You can either power it with the BEC from your ESC or you can get a small 2S LifE 6.6v battery to power things.

It's just a way to isolate problems and check that stuff basically works the day you receive it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2RccSgGw00

Thanks for the info. I think I will get one. It really is a pain in the ... having to get the transmitter and receiver to center servos while building.

Anther more exotic use is to use it to control a brushed ESC to make a hotwire foam cutter. David W did that for his original cut foam viggen.

http://flitetest.com/articles/hot-wire-cutting-foam

I remember that video! Great little tool. I didn't rember that he used a servo tester though.

Anyhow, although the problem is fixed (I took it out and it flew without problems!) I still would appreciate any suggestions as to why that ESC doesn't work with the default PPM settings on the Transmitter:confused::confused::confused:. I have/had 2 turnigy plush ESC which just worked out of the box without any problems...