Emax Tiny Hawk

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have more questions about tiny drones. What are the thoughts on a Emax Tiny Hawk ? I want to fly indoors. I don't want to spend a lot of money at first. The Tiny Hawk looks to have a good price point ( $99 ). Thoughts on a transmitter ? Does a drone use a receiver ? My thought is to fly line of sight at first, then move into FPV.

Thanks for any input,
Al

FDS

Elite member
The tiny hawk is also available with a toy styleTX and a set of basic goggles as a bundle.
I would buy a Jumper T12 or T16 to fly it off, depending on how much you have to spend. Both do FRsky D8 which is the most common SPI receiver protocol on the small drones. It also does DSMX and all the common radio protocols.
Drones use smaller Sbus receivers, since they don’t have to control servos they don’t need a PWM output.
They are actually easier to fly FpV if you start simple with low ish rates and go for a basic hover to start with, then build from that. It comes with auto level pre programmed to a switch on the TX as well. There’s a lot you can do to the tuning and set up to help learning and to increase performance as you progress.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
The Tiny Hawks are great indoor quads; they're pretty stable to fly, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the transmitter that comes in the bundle - it didn't feel all that smooth.

I personally like the NewBeeDrone Acrobees a little better, but that's me. Here's a list of pros and cons that I see for both:

NewBeeDrone Acrobee

Pros

Frsky or DSMX/Spektrum compatibility
Motors, props, and frame are interchangeable with Inductrix line from Horizon Hobbies; motors generally runs $20 or less for all 4 of them
Offers RTF kit with goggles, controller, 4 batteries, quad, and charger for $200
Runs 1S batteries, which are cheap; ~$30 will get you 8 of them

Cons

Brushed motors tend to wear out faster than brushless motors
Small, affected by anything more than a very light breeze

Emax TinyHawk

Pros

RTF kit available for $165, which includes goggles, controller, 1 battery, charger, and quad
Brushless motors

Cons

RTF kit only comes with 1 battery
Brushless motor replacements are $9-$12, depending on where you purchase them
Parts aren't as readily available from Local Hobby shops
Only available for FrSky transmitters
Small, gets blown around by anything more than a light breeze

They're both good setups, both good prices, and they both fly solid; it's really more a matter of preference and how hard you think you'll fly them. I myself lean towards the NewBeeDrone quads because they're SO stinkin' smooth at flight, right out of the box; they feel and perform like a full size quad right out of the box, whereas the TinyHawk felt like it took a bit of tuning to get it to fly in the same manner.

I think if you're a bit harder on your quads with flying, go with the NewBeeDrone ones; parts are easily replaceable and you can get parts at most local hobby shops. If it's just about buying cheap and you want the RTF, buy the Emax, but know that it's not just $165, because you'll want extra batteries to swap out - regardless of either quad, you're only going to get about 3 minutes of flight on each battery, and it'll take a minimum of 15-20 minutes to get them charged up.

degriz

I purchased the Tiny Hawk as my first fpv drone and am very happy with it. I use a qx7 transmitter and the combination was not that expensive, I also found a used set of Fatshark dominator V2 keeping the cost down. You said indoor flying, How much room? I would not recommend it for in home use, but a gym or similar size area would be good .

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the info. I have another question. Any thoughts about the Tiny Whoop. I understand that the Tiny Whoop is 55mm. I hope I have that right. I am a rookie about anything rc. I don't know anything about protocol. The only thing that I do know about protocol is that all systems don't use the same protocol.

Please keep the info coming. I want to understand the Tiny Whoop. Last week I saw a fellow flying his Tiny Whoop inside at Edgewater.

I will be checking out the leads you folks have given me.

Al

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the info. I have another question. Any thoughts about the Tiny Whoop. I understand that the Tiny Whoop is 55mm. I hope I have that right. I am a rookie about anything rc. I don't know anything about protocol. The only thing that I do know about protocol is that all systems don't use the same protocol.

Please keep the info coming. I want to understand the Tiny Whoop. Last week I saw a fellow flying his Tiny Whoop inside at Edgewater.

I will be checking out the leads you folks have given me.

Al
Tiny Whoop, another well reviewed quadcopter. Get a Jumper T12 or T16 and they communicate on nearly all the protocols out there, do you don't have to worry too much about "will my transmitter talk to this receiver?" As the answer is 95%+ of the time, yes 😁

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Tiny Whoop, another well reviewed quadcopter. Get a Jumper T12 or T16 and they communicate on nearly all the protocols out there, do you don't have to worry too much about "will my transmitter talk to this receiver?" As the answer is 95%+ of the time, yes 😁
My personal choice between tiny Whoop and tiny hawk would be the hawk. The props seem better protected and in the reviews I've seen, it fly's a bit better.

degriz

"Please keep the info coming. I want to understand the Tiny Whoop. Last week I saw a fellow flying his Tiny Whoop inside at Edgewater."

If you plan on flying in a small area the The Tiny Whoops are a better alternative, they usually have the props covered so no damage to walls or individuals. I have a few I play around with inside my house. Again purchased used, they had spektrum receivers, which I fly with a dx6, which I have used to fly all my fixed wing stuff for 5 years or so.

Lots of info on youtube , jump in and watch some videos. I am 62, so you can teach an old dog new tricks :)

https://www.rcgroups.com/classifieds-201/ has a great classifieds which I frequent a lot.

Reactions: FDS

degriz

My personal choice between tiny Whoop and tiny hawk would be the hawk. The props seem better protected and in the reviews I've seen, it fly's a bit better.

Depends on which version, Sorry about any confusion I am talking about the tinyhawk freestyle
1573670114310.png

FDS

Elite member
The only issue with the Freestyle is that the camera is poor. That’s common enough on the micro drones.
You can’t fly it indoors, it’s got totally unguarded props and a rigid carbon frame.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all the great tips. I am really liking the Emax Tiny Hawk. I also understand that there is a complete kit for the Tiny Hawk. My thought on the Emax kit would be to up grade the transmitter to something else. I have looked up the info on the leads that you folks have passed on to me. I did not know there is a Jumper T12 plus. I saw this transmitter in another thread about transmitters. I hope I understand that right. Right now the Tiny Hawk with an upgraded transmitter is what I am thinking. I don't know anything about googles. Any thoughts about the Emax googles ? Maybe this old dog ( age 69 ) could learn some new tricks. lol.

Please keep the info coming,
Al

FDS

Elite member
Emax are basically rebranded box goggles. The Eachine EV800 is a good goggle for the price. My set has given great reception and it’s a large screen to begin with, bigger than some more expensive sets, plus it can be run as a monitor for friends if you upgrade your goggles later.
If you are buying the a Jumper T12 and different goggles don’t bother with the package, just buy an FRsky compatible tiny hawk, ideally one with an XM+ in as the SPI receivers have very poor range.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I'll put the FX Viper V2 goggles in the ring. Great reception, comfortable, easily accommodates glasses, has diversity receivers and the screen is easily detachable if you need a bench screen to monitor stuff as you set up.
15737486089614605369680385793890.jpg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I’m gonna throw in another option to add to the conversation. How about the betafpv drones? Available in spektrum or frsky, in brushed and brushless. Some of them even go 2s!
Check them out if you haven’t yet.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

More great info to check out. Thank you again for the help. Please keep the info coming. It sounds like the Jumper T12 will work with the Tiny Hawk. I am just double checking so I only do this just once on the first drone. I did not know that the hawk could come with some different options. I'll see what I can find out about the options that might come on the hawk. Does the Tiny Hawk have a model number that I should look at ? Would it be better for me to go to the Emax web site ?

Al

FDS

Elite member
If you are still looking at the Tiny Hawk Freestyle it appears to only come pre built with the FRsky D8 SPI receiver.
You can add an external receiver if it doesn’t give you the range you want. Typically SPI receivers are not as good, they go out to about 150ft when working well and sometimes struggle to reach 30ft before losing signal. I have three boards with them on, two are great, giving decent signal out to 150ft, one is garbage.
Buy it wherever you prefer to shop, there’s no different specs that I can see between retailers. It also only has a 25Mw video transmitter, where some of the other drones in this class now have 25/ 200mw switchable ones.

alan0043

If you are still looking at the Tiny Hawk Freestyle it appears to only come pre built with the FRsky D8 SPI receiver.
You can add an external receiver if it doesn’t give you the range you want. Typically SPI receivers are not as good, they go out to about 150ft when working well and sometimes struggle to reach 30ft before losing signal. I have three boards with them on, two are great, giving decent signal out to 150ft, one is garbage.
Buy it wherever you prefer to shop, there’s no different specs that I can see between retailers. It also only has a 25Mw video transmitter, where some of the other drones in this class now have 25/ 200mw switchable ones.

Hi FDS,

Thank you for the info. Right now my plan is to fly indoors with the tiny hawk. I am seriously thinking about getting the Jumper T12. Do you think that the Jumper T12 plus is worth the extra money ? The cost that I have seen is $130 for the plus and $90 for the std. T12. I would use this transmitter for other air craft. A'm I missing anything ? Also, part of my plan is to fly line of sight and then move into FPV. So I don't need to buy googles yet.

A update on the cost of a T12 plus. Robot shop for $109.

Al

Last edited: