Emax Tiny Hawk

FDS

Elite member
$109 is a better price on the Plus. Personally I like the precision of the Hall effect gimbals and the fact it was black vs toaster beige suckered me on the extra money for the plus. Mine has worked equally well for fixed wing, mini quads, toy quads and 5” builds. I have bound to Flysky, FRsky, DSMX, Horizon Hobby BNF, Bayang toy boards and D8 SPI receivers so far with it.
It is physically quite small, so if you have very large hands or like a chunkier TX then the T16 might be better.
Just be sure you can work with OpenTX, as that is the key thing with open source type controllers. You don’t need the latest version of OpenTX either, mine is still on 2.2.
It’s easier to fly FPV off the bat, beyond hovering and walking the dog. Especially with smaller quads.

alan0043

I have no idea how to work with Open TX. I am hope that the flying field that I go to that someone there could help me if I need help. There is also You Tube. I am willing to give it a try. I think the price point from Robotshop.com is pretty good. It's just $20 more then the std. T12. And I also like the black color.

Please keep the info coming,
Al

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Be sure to watch as many set up videos as possible BEFORE buying an OpenTX radio, I recommend Project Blue Falcon and Bardwell for the basics. PBF is old but the basics are the same in the newer versions.
Most flying field pilots with fixed wing will not be on OpenTX. You need a local quad racing group for that, check Facebook.

alan0043

Be sure to watch as many set up videos as possible BEFORE buying an OpenTX radio, I recommend Project Blue Falcon and Bardwell for the basics. PBF is old but the basics are the same in the newer versions.
Most flying field pilots with fixed wing will not be on OpenTX. You need a local quad racing group for that, check Facebook.

Hi FDS,

Thanks for the tip on Open TX. The flying field that I am going to has quad racing. The cool thing is that one Sunday afternoon I stopped at the field and the guys were flying their quads. I told the guys that I don't know a thing about quads. They had a nice tent set-up with music and it was warm and out of the wind. They said seat down and enjoy the ride. One of the guys set-up his googles for me and someone else was flying their quad. I got a chance to see what they saw. Later that day, they were playing Quad (kquad). They also had a screen you could see what was going on. I think I am quit a luck person to have both ends of flying on the same field. I have seen a few Bardwell videos. The fellow has a nice way of explaining things.

More info is always welcomed,
Al

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

A little update. I took advantage of the Blake Friday sales thru the Flite Test store. I have the Tiny Hawk S on it's way. Still have not decided on a transmitter. First thoughts were the Jumper T12 plus. Doing some research on price on the T12 plus. Earlier I found a price of $109. That price did not include the module and antenna. So maybe spend a little more money and go with the Jumper T16. Maybe by doing this, I would only need one transmitter for all my planes and the drones that I would get into. Anyone know of a good price on a T16 ?

Research is still going on,
Al

FDS

Elite member
The T12 plus always includes the multi module and antenna, it has no internal transmitter chip, so can’t work without it!
T16 is worth the extra if you want a big colour screen and you can now get that with an internal multi module which leaves the bay free for Crossfire. The latest T16 is not going to be discounted by much as it’s brand new. I have rarely found huge discounts on new Tx’s, they are expensive. Any second hand ones are likely to be early release models without the internal module.
Either T12 or T16 will do almost any RC plane or vehicle you can imagine, plus will definitely work with all major receiver brands.

dughawk

Hey Gang... I am also new to Quads. I bought a Emax tiny hawk for the cost and convenience. The package itself is impressive for the cost. The only challenge I have is that the radio gimbles are....well....cheap... But for the cost, I will not complain.

I cannot say that the tiny hawk flys well. I have no experience in it. I bought it to learn flying them and to fly them inside. ( because of our current pandemic situation). I watched several videos of people flying them and I made the mistake of watching those videos because the people reviewing them are seasoned flyers who say that it flys well out of the box... I am not having that kind of luck.

Situation is that when I go to fly it, as I use the throttle, it will rise and I cannot seem to find a sweet spot to get the quad to hover. In short, it rises and will hit the ceiling and then bounces off the floor. I did some research and learned to use betaflight and learned to use the CLI and set throttle limit and I found a good learning adjustment at 51 percent of the throttle.

I am curious as to see if anyone else is having the same issue? I am aware there will be a learning curve of throttle management regarding quads. I am just not sure if this is normal or if maybe I am being too..... yeah... Please, let me know others thoughts and if there is something I can do to tame this tiny hawk down so I can learn the quading controls better.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hey Gang... I am also new to Quads. I bought a Emax tiny hawk for the cost and convenience. The package itself is impressive for the cost. The only challenge I have is that the radio gimbles are....well....cheap... But for the cost, I will not complain.

I cannot say that the tiny hawk flys well. I have no experience in it. I bought it to learn flying them and to fly them inside. ( because of our current pandemic situation). I watched several videos of people flying them and I made the mistake of watching those videos because the people reviewing them are seasoned flyers who say that it flys well out of the box... I am not having that kind of luck.

Situation is that when I go to fly it, as I use the throttle, it will rise and I cannot seem to find a sweet spot to get the quad to hover. In short, it rises and will hit the ceiling and then bounces off the floor. I did some research and learned to use betaflight and learned to use the CLI and set throttle limit and I found a good learning adjustment at 51 percent of the throttle.

I am curious as to see if anyone else is having the same issue? I am aware there will be a learning curve of throttle management regarding quads. I am just not sure if this is normal or if maybe I am being too..... yeah... Please, let me know others thoughts and if there is something I can do to tame this tiny hawk down so I can learn the quading controls better.
Weird, I wonder if that is just because of the gimbals. I used a tinyhawk freestyle which uses the same board and it hovered great. I used a spektrum Dxe with a seperate receiver.

FDS

Elite member
The Freestyle is different to the regular hawk.
You are discovering two key things-
1- Flying quads is HARD! Pro pilots on YouTube make it look easy because they fly all day, every day.
2- Many brushless whoops have throttle problems. You need to tune the throttle CURVE on the transmitter as well as setting a cut in Betaflight. They are not the best for home flying IMO, the earlier ones like the TH and Mobula 7 all have this problem. You need a bigger space to really get them singing and the stock tune is poor.
All quads have tons of power, learning to hover is the first skill you need to master.

dughawk

Corpse and FDS, thanks for your input. I bought the Bundled package for 165 hoping that the FRSKY controller that comes with the bundled package would help me learn and have some scalability to the next drone I would go with should I find that I like Drone flying. I am not aware of any way to adjust the controller other than the buttons on the controller....which they work...but .....yeah.... I am used to a more advanced radio with more control on the trim buttons.

Any suggestions to increase throttle input at the low range via Beta flight? ( when I say suggestions, I mean give me a key word and I can search all day long! :) )

FDS

Elite member
That’s a toy controller really, start saving for a Jumper transmitter if you are enjoying flying quads. If it’s the wing shaped one you can’t do throttle curves.