Solved EMAX Transmitter Compatibility

JaceNelson

I recently bought a EMAX Tinyhawk S BNF and I’m worried that it may not bind to my Spektrum IX12 transmitter. Is it compatible out of the box, or at all, and if there is a way, could you share it with me?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I think that the Tinyhawk is Frsky. If you plan to fly more mini BNF models getting a Frsky transmitter might be worth it.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I think that the Tinyhawk is Frsky. If you plan to fly more mini BNF models getting a Frsky transmitter might be worth it.

You are correct. This is one reason why I'm not too tickled with the EMAX quads or even the Horizon Hobby quads - they're locked into one specific controller type (EMAX is FrSky only, Horizon Hobbies/Blade quads are DSMX/Spektrum only). I'm more of a fan of the NewBeeDrone quads, since they have options for both DSMX and FrSky. :)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thank you both, I’ll be more careful when doing my research next time!

No worries, man, it happens. I happen to have the ix12 myself, so I have fallen to some of the pitfalls you might have hit as well. One word of advice - try to remove all non-essential apps from it other than the AirWare app. It'll load up faster because it doesn't have to load things like the Google Music app in the background.

Also, keep on top of the firmware/app updates. They had a problem early on with it that, if you were flying for more than 30 minutes without throttle input, the radio would assume it was left on and start a power down sequence. Apparently, they didn't think glider folks flew for more than 30 minutes without throttle input. :rolleyes: My club president found that out the hard way when he was slope soaring at the beach and lost a glider because of it. That's since been corrected, but it was not something that should have gone out the door like that, as far as I'm concerned.