Enabling flaps on Simple Storch

Colfadrafret

I've finished my Storch scratch build, and have set up controls on my Spektrum DX6i transmitter and old 6 ch .Spektrum receiver. All the surfaces work and are centered. I went for the flaps option with two servos ( facing same way) on a Y lead.

I have read countless contradicting tutorials on setting up flaps through the GEAR channel using the DX6I GEAR switch , but no luck. No movement at all after enabling gear switch in a mix,setting U and D to positive and negative amounts.Also tried reversing . Nothing works!
I have also tried the same using the FLAPS switch with no results; and note that the monitor view shows movement on the AUX channel that aren't visible on the Storch.

The only issue I have noticed is that when i first connect to the Rx, the rudder oscillates violently before it settles down, then is fine. The other issue is that one flap servo buzzes all the time. It's a brand new servo.

Can anyone with my Spektrum setup help ? ?

Brett_N

Go to system settings -> channel assign -> gear and make sure it's on the switch you want the flaps to be on.

Back at main aircraft page on radio, go to flaps, and select whatever that same switch is. Usually you want your flaps about 1 or 2s delay.

Colfadrafret

Problem solved.
It was a simple oversight that the linkage rods were tightened down in the extended position, but with the flaps level with the wing; in other words the flaps were level with all the travel in the servo used.
Once re-centered, I now have working flaps on the gear switch.

Reactions: FDS

basslord1124

Master member
I'm about to do flaps on my Storch. Is there a correct/preferred orientation for the servos and servo arms? Like servo arms facing inwards towards each other or outwards toward the end of the wing? I'm assuming you did linkage stoppers @Colfadrafret ? I was kinda debating if I should also do Z bends or linkage stoppers.

Colfadrafret

I'm about to do flaps on my Storch. Is there a correct/preferred orientation for the servos and servo arms? Like servo arms facing inwards towards each other or outwards toward the end of the wing? I'm assuming you did linkage stoppers @Colfadrafret ? I was kinda debating if I should also do Z bends or linkage stoppers.

Basslord1124 -both servos should face the same direction , because unlike ailerons you want them to move the same way when activated on your TX switch - both down, or both back up to level wing. I made the mistake of mounting them opposite directions like the aileron servos . . . had to remount one.
I used a Z bend on the flap control horns and set screw stoppers on the servo arms,makes it easy to tinker with the flap hardware adjustment. You will most likely need a 24" Y extension connecting both the servo leads to reach out of the Storch wing center opening to leave enough slack to connect inside the fuse. Hope that helps !

basslord1124

Master member
Basslord1124 -both servos should face the same direction , because unlike ailerons you want them to move the same way when activated on your TX switch - both down, or both back up to level wing. I made the mistake of mounting them opposite directions like the aileron servos . . . had to remount one.
I used a Z bend on the flap control horns and set screw stoppers on the servo arms,makes it easy to tinker with the flap hardware adjustment. You will most likely need a 24" Y extension connecting both the servo leads to reach out of the Storch wing center opening to leave enough slack to connect inside the fuse. Hope that helps !

Awesome, thanks @Colfadrafret . It just dawned on me as I was reading your post that the servos need to face the same direction. Sounds like a good plan as far as linkage stopper/Z Bend. Have you tried yours out yet? If so, how is it? I've been looking into it a little how some folks usually mix in some down elevator to compensate for the nose up tendencies with deploying flaps. I figure once I get mine set up, I'll take it up high enough and see it responds first before putting any mixes in. Gonna check my simulator out too to see if it has any planes with flaps that I can practice on.

Colfadrafret

I haven't tried it,because last time out the batteries were too cold although in an inner pocket.
I'm ready t o try it when we get a warm up