Engine mounting?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
It can not slide when the brackets are tightened.
Adjust the motor to get about 2 degrees angle to the right to start with.
The centre of the prop shold be about on the center line making the back of the engine slighly off center.
Or just put the motor in the center and try for a start. Any drifting can easily be trimmed with the rudders.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Yeah, those brackets will hold it in tight when screwed down. In the earlier pics it looked like they were too small, but if they fit it'll work just fine.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Another thing - not always mentioned in the assembly manual.
It is smart to paint the walls (and bottom) of the motor and tank areas.
You will get fuel there sooner or later unless you crach the plane really soon.
I am using epoxi glue with a drop or two of paint (car paint is fine if you have something like that).
I mix the epoxy with 10 times of ethanol/spirit to get it in viscosity to paint with.
There should also be a small hole in the bottom under the fuel tank.
Then you will see if there is any leakage.
In your case with the tank neck getting into the motor box it is not so likely but i have senn examples of filling a plane with fuel.
I am using 60 minute epoxi to get the time to prepare it with color and mix it with ethanol. The ethanol will dry fast and the epoxi will go inte the wood and savi it from the nitro and oil in the fuel.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
+1 for painting the firewall and tank area. They make fuel resistant paint for that but the epoxy works fine. You definitely want to do this, especially if you have to do repairs because fuel soaked wood doesn't take glue very well if at all.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
quick question, how do i set up my throttle servo, like so my throttle is all the way down but my trim is the idle speed or whatever you guys do?
This website is a wealth of knowledge for setting up the throttle linkage + other stuff you'll run into...

http://airfieldmodels.com/information_source/model_aircraft_engines/throttle_linkage.htm

You'll have to play with the various holes in your servo arm to get the proper mechanical setup instead of using the endpoint adjustments on your radio. You'll probably have to use either of the two innermost holes on the throttle servo arm. You start with the carb lever at half throttle and your servo in the half throttle position and work from there.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
You can cut the round servo "arm" to any shape if needed to clear movements.
There is no need for any color in the epoxy "paint" but it will look much better efter some months if there is a drop of color mixed in it.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Don't forget to set your end point so the throttle closes completely. You can idle it up from there to set idle, then you can trim it down to kill the engine. If you have a throttle cut button or switch, use your trim to adjust idle, and make sure the throttle cut closes the throttle completely to kill the engine.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Not sure about the old radio but the 9x has a throttle cut function. This will allow you at the flick of a switch totally close the carb to shut off the engine.