Episode 153 - Pilot Classification!

HilldaFlyer

November 29, 2018
Join Kevin, Andy and Steve as we talk about different type of pilots we see in our hobby. Have a laugh with us as we talk about something totally ridiculous.
Free Our Skies and Thanks for Listening!
Thank You so much from the FFRC Podcast crew!
Free our skies and we'll see ya next time...
To get in touch with us:

Email us at freefallrc@gmail.com
Web - https://www.freefallrcpodcast.show
Youtube Subscribe - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTWlb2zbjCDg17i36enM9VQ
Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/freefallrcpodcast/
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/freefallrcpodcast
Forums - http://forum.flitetest.com/forumdisplay.php?187-FreeFall-RC-Podcast http://www.rchelihangout.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=109

HilldaFlyer

If you wanted to see the list - here it is. Got any ideas or additions. Add a comment.

Pilot Classification

Most pilots have multiple tendencies. This list is not meant to be negative, we all have a mixture of the tendencies listed. This list discussed on the podcast is meant for satire, so lighten up, sit back and laugh a bit. If you have any others we’ve missed, post your comments.

Builder - The type of person loves to build the latest kits, can fly but doesn’t fly that often.

Buyer - Someone how buys and buys all the newest and best stuff but doesn’t have time or ability to fly.

Flyer - Doesn’t like to wrench and build but will pickup and fly.

The wind - Someone who won’t fly if the windsock isn’t limp.

The Complainer - This person is always complaining or blaming something or someone else, or just can’t find anything right about the weather, field conditions, or others.

Shy (Bashful) - Someone who is characterized by declining to fly if there is any sort of crowd. Always fly alone. Typically a Nobie.

Tinkerer/Tuner - A person who is never happy with the way things are and has to continually tune or modify. Doesn’t build to specifications, but makes changes before maiden and then wonders why it doesn’t fly.

Competitor - This type of person THRIVES on being the best and winning i.e. enjoys the hobby to a serious level through continual improvement.

Social Butterfly (the Mayor) - This person just loves to hang out and chat.

The Helper - Someone who helps others before flying themselves and is very generous with their time and equipment to make other’s experience in the hobby a positive success.

Dirty Old Planker - A person who comes to the field, gets out a model or two, puts there stuff together, but doesn’t fly very often. Mostly characterized by their propensity to be quick at telling everyone else what they are doing wrong and giving advice on how to do it right. When they do fly it usually doesn’t go well and their goto excuse for a less than perfect performance or any catastrophe is - “The radio locked out” or brown out.

Storyteller - A person who has been in the hobby for a while and just loves to talk about the glory days. Most often can be characterized by repeating the same story week after week... “back in the day we didn’t have 2.4 GHz”, “you had to really fly the plane”, “we didn’t have stabilization (AS3X) or GPS”, and buddy box was handing the transmitter. This is the way we’re all going to be in 20 years.

The Pro - The person who “THINKS” he knows everything, i.e. someone who is a “legend in their own mind”. Anytime someone tries to help them they say “Yeah, I know, I know”.

Nobie - Someone who new or experienced and makes rookie mistakes. We’ve all been here and done that.

OCD - This person is super clean and a neat freak. Cleans off everything after every flight with Windex or baby wipes. Meticulously ties down all wires into harnesses and is obsessed with organization to a point that it consumes the majority of their time.

Pig-Pen - This person never cleans anything or performs maintenance. Just grabs and flies.

Sim Jockey - This is a person who delights in sitting in a comfortable chair and sims a ton. Typically this makes them an awesome pilots but they rarely show off their skills. This person sims like it is a career rather than a training tool.

Earlybird (overachiever, squatter) someone who shows up on a Tuesday prior to a weekend event.

Nightbird Nocturnal - Someone who only flies at night. Night flying has its own set of

Oh Crap Dude - Classically characterized by the actions of others, when this person preps for a flight, everyone lands and watches.

Last edited:

d8veh

Elite member
Also known as "the fun prevention officer". Do I really need to spell it out. You find them in every club. and many of the other RC forums. This one seems to be free of them for some reason. On another forum, I mentioned that I was going to try taking my SAFE electronics out of my Hobbyzone plane and put them in another. Talk about lighting the fuse! I was nearly expelled from the forum for that. See it here onwards from post at 09/09/2018 14:40:11
https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=137804

That guy would have a fit if he went to a Flitefest.

HilldaFlyer

Also known as "the fun prevention officer". Do I really need to spell it out. You find them in every club. and many of the other RC forums. This one seems to be free of them for some reason. On another forum, I mentioned that I was going to try taking my SAFE electronics out of my Hobbyzone plane and put them in another. Talk about lighting the fuse! I was nearly expelled from the forum for that. See it here onwards from post at 09/09/2018 14:40:11

I just read the thread, boy that was unpleasant. I don't want to correct you but I think a title better served would be Gestapo like Safety Officer - Geheime Staatspolizei (Secret State Police). Funny, but I think the point is a Rx and components "CAN" be moved, but not supported by manufacturer. I have a couple of friends who have successfully used Mission Planner to auto launch and land aircraft two years ago. At the time it was a pretty sophisticated setup, but achievable nonetheless. Sorry Dave, you are right! The moderator was overstepping in my opinion.

HilldaFlyer

I've got another one...
The Scrapper
A person who crashes everything brought to the field and repeats the process week after week. Could also be combined with Nobie, Buyer and Oh Crap Dude. Sit back and enjoy the carnage.

Edit - definitely a combination with the complainer.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Personally, I'm a Builder and Tinker, with a side of Early Bird and Helper at events.

Another type of person I've seen at the field is the "Overly Excited Puppy".

"I am so freaking excited about planes and I love them all and I am going to get a jet and fly 200 mph and get a multi-rotor and make it do search and rescue and how high do these fly and how long does a battery last and I'm going to the hobby shop to get a 80" warbird for my very first RC plane this afternoon, what is the best radio I should buy?"

These people are usually only seen at the field once.

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member

I think the reason FT doesn't have them is that the Fun Prevention goes completely opposite of what FT is. Its supposed to be a cheap and fun way to get into the hobby. Also Josh doesn't seem to like Fun Prevention that much, see this video from 13:10 onward:
That guy was really going crazy about it. That's part of the reason i never joined my local model rocketry club. Their rules were crazy and i didn't want to be yelled at because i wasn't using the recommended motor in my Estes rocket.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I'm now 65% Flyer with a dollop or two of Competitor. Thanks to y'all, also 30% Builder.

First time listener.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Dumpster Diver

I've only seen one of these, but he was spectaular. He pulled a demolished 99" balsa glider out of the trash can and showed up the following week with a beautiful new glider.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I've got another one...
The Scrapper
A person who crashes everything brought to the field and repeats the process week after week. Could also be combined with Nobie, Buyer and Oh Crap Dude. Sit back and enjoy the carnage.

Edit - definitely a combination with the complainer.

Haha. My father was a classic Scrapper. They finally got him out to the glider slope and got him straightened out.

HilldaFlyer

Dumpster Diver

I've only seen one of these, but he was spectaular. He pulled a demolished 99" balsa glider out of the trash can and showed up the following week with a beautiful new glider.

That's a win!
Also...
:p:p Most often can be spotted slinking about in the evenings at FliteFest.

Tjhochha

If I could afford to join the local rc club I’d be the oh crap dude and the builder. I fly by myself so I’m probably the shy builder. I “fly it like I stole it” which leads to lots of build time. I’m pretty sure I've spent twice as much time building as flying. If you’re not on the edge, you’re not learning in my book.

Omg these are great everyone. Thanks for the additional ones we didn’t even think of. Love it.

The fun preventor, lets just call it the Neat police. Lol.

Dumpster diver is a great one, great (re-)builders find art in others folks garbage.

I’ve been know to be a scrapper from time to time. The early FT days for me. Crashed every FT plane I’ve built. Glue it back together for the following week and kept on repeating until I learned to fly. Laughing with my buddies every step of the way.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think Id have to classify myself as "The Tumbler" as everything I fly gets rolled across the field at some point.

Not necessarily causing damage but showcasing some spectacular rc gymnastics for sure.

HilldaFlyer

Omg these are great everyone. Thanks for the additional ones we didn’t even think of. Love it.
The fun preventer, lets just call it the Neat police. Lol.

Boy I'm thick - I finally got it! You mean the "NEAT"police.

Yeah, I met those NEAT police guys this year. I should probably post the video I have of the WWII group fly at the NEAT fair. First, all the pilots lined up with their craft, the NEAT police explained the "rules". He started at one end of the flight line and gave the pilots permission to take off one-by-one. I don't have a clue why because it is no more safe or dangerous than launching all at one time. By the time he got down to the last pilot, the guys who launched first were low on fuel and were landing. The NEAT police also had his plane to fly so he launched. Most of the planes flown in the group fly were Spitfires. He did a few laps and then landed and then proceeded to yell at everyone to get out of the air. There was one awesome dude who just kept going around and the NEAT police was getting more and more frustrated at someone not obeying the command to land. To be honest, I was smiling and wishing I had a plane out there so I could keep flying and flying.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I could add one extra type to the list! Try the FOSSIL! They are characterized by there inability to keep abreast of current developments and refuse to believe that anything can improved if it was not part of the hobby experience in their past.

Their cry is quite distinct, "I do it my way because it has always been done that way. No need to change anything as everything I do and say is correct, safe and has been my way for ages". Other traits, unable to be taught anything and can be extremely combative and defensive of their way of doing things!.

Have fun!

Flynn

Wow! Thanks for all the comments guys! We are planning on doing a part 2 and adding everyone and the classifications to the show. Probably sometime in Jan-Feb. Thanks Dave!