Episode/Content Thoughts

AustinFurey

Staff member
Admin
Mentor
What do you think of the videos?
Did they exceed your expectations? Or were you disappointed?

What would you like to see more of?

-Austin

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I had a big smile on my face from watching a few of them. Love the inside perspective. Nice also that you post the words "DO NOT ATTEMPT" subtext/titles on the fun if risky endeavors. I'm loving it. Just a thought:

On the search bar, I can find some videos that specifically include certain onscreen talent, with search terms such as David, Alex, Eric, Josh -- but those videos only show up if their names are in the titles. I guess you're using the youtube search engine, but maybe it'd be good to tag the personalities on those videos they appear in? Probably a lot of work to go through and do all that now... but just a thought.

Searches for Peter, Austin, Scott, and Bixler return no hits.

Last edited:

AustinFurey

Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Have to be able to watch them first..... See post in technical bugs thread

I think you are referring the Intro Video, that was marked as private but all the actual Extra videos were unaffected. Intro video is fixed now though. Thanks!

I had a big smile on my face from watching a few of them. Love the inside perspective. Nice also that you post the words "DO NOT ATTEMPT" subtext/titles on the fun if risky endeavors. I'm loving it. Just a thought:

On the search bar, I can find some videos that specifically include certain onscreen talent, with search terms such as David, Alex, Eric, Josh -- but those videos only show up if their names are in the titles. I guess you're using the youtube search engine, but maybe it'd be good to tag the personalities on those videos they appear in? Probably a lot of work to go through and do all that now... but just a thought.

Searches for Peter, Austin, Scott, and Bixler return no hits.

I don't know if we will have a "Sort by Host" feature but we will have PLENTY of sorting options coming up in the near future. Definitely going to be more than one sort feature and they will need to be implemented soon because of the sheer amount of videos soon to rack up!:D

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Let's just say I have to go to sleep now and have a lot of kitchen prep to do tomorrow, otherwise I'd already be posting here, requesting more input :).

I really like the different type of view these videos provide. Makes me feel "closer to the crew" - actually it feels like meeting you guys in France and seeing how you do stuff live.

And damn, you were lucky with that laser fire.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I don't like it, at all.

The "behind the scenes" footage is almost like being there at the shop after FTFF14.

It makes me want to move up there so I could hang out with the guys doing all the stuff that needs disclaimers...

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I shudder at the memory of a FlyingMonkey howling at night in his jungle hammock bivouac by the Furey home. Speaking of memories, that snippet of Alex and Peter getting the White Flappy Dude to be aerotowed behind the Sripol Cargo Lifter brought back all the memories for me.

earthsciteach

I have encountered no issues. Watch vids - check. Comment on vid - check. Paypal - check.

I am enjoying the content, but I wonder if a number of people will question why they are paying for "B-roll" when the premium stuff is for free. I am not criticizing it, at all. I really like it. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Have you discussed including additional "benefits" to subscribing to the extra? One thought is to send out an occasional printed plan to subscribers of a certain level. Or, maybe a T-shirt or other "perk" for the subscription as you guys did for the Kick-Start supporters. Just a bit of a tickler to entice folks.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Earthsciteach brings up a good point. I would add that these aren't just b-roll footage that is posted up raw. It's clear to me that some editing and effort goes into it without even factoring in the actual filming. Maybe just renaming it as bonus footage. That said, subscription isn't required. I also subscribe to a musician I enjoy: Kristin Hersch who created throwingmusic to promote her bands including throwing muses. She sends subscribers completed albums after releasing songs throughout the year as she writes and records them.

earthsciteach

For sure, David. I didn't mean to say that there was no editing effort put into these.

Glad I was far enough away from Fred's hammock tent to not hear his howling. Hey… Wait a minute. You were camped just on the other side of Matt's RV, technically farther away from Fred. You must have heard Asbjorn snoring. ;)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Haha, Patrick. Now that you mention it, that makes more sense for flyingcirkus to have been the source. Their handles are so close. That said, Dale was in the tent right next to me. .. hmmm...

AustinFurey

Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I am enjoying the content, but I wonder if a number of people will question why they are paying for "B-roll" when the premium stuff is for free. I am not criticizing it, at all. I really like it. I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Have you discussed including additional "benefits" to subscribing to the extra? One thought is to send out an occasional printed plan to subscribers of a certain level. Or, maybe a T-shirt or other "perk" for the subscription as you guys did for the Kick-Start supporters. Just a bit of a tickler to entice folks.

Great point, Patrick. I think that is part of the goal is that people determine the value the videos have to them, and if that evaluation happens to be zero then that area of the site is probably not for them anyway. We determined that the most valuable thing that we can start with is additional videos, as that is easily our number one request.

I'm certainly open to future options for added perks. For an example, right now there is an ads and no ads version of FT Extra. If you donate any amount, you see the no ads version. Other things I have considered is sending something physical such as an FT Extra shirt as you suggested, along with a Extras only chat room, monthly live stream, plus 20 other harebrained ideas.

However, at the moment we are focused on delivering the current promise, 3 "Extra" videos a week, which is no small feat.

Thanks for keeping the feedback coming, everyone!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I actually see the subscription more globally. I am not subscribing to extra, I'm supporting FT with a small amount as whole which is what I've asked for before ;). Since shipping to Germany is quite expensive that's my way to pay for the free plans, free content and the awesome community around it.

earthsciteach

Austin - I missed where it was an optional donation. You guys have a very bad business model - giving stuff away! LOLOLOL!!!!!

So, let me see if I can do the numbers of full time people at FT: 5-6 in shipping (heck, let's throw the young Bixlers in there, too), 1 marketing manager, 2 cameramen/editors, 2 product designers/on screen personnel, 1 graphics designer/crazy good multi rotor pilot, 1 production engineer.

That's 12-13 people to operate product manufacturing, run a retail store, create/design/prototype new products, shoot/edit 5-6 videos per week, produce 1-2 podcasts per week, and I'm sure I'm missing 100 other tasks that have to be cared for. Do you guys sleep???

Seriously, I marvel at that!

letsflyrc

I have watched all the videos now and was very entertained. I have watched all of FT videos since the beginning. I love the behind the scenes feeling of them. It makes you feel like you are part of the crew, and like you are hanging out with FT during a shoot or work day.

Like Fred said, It makes me want to move up there to get the opportunity to hang with and have fun with the guys. (Gotta love the Florida year round flying weather, though)

I mostly enjoyed seeing the extra fpv let's fly footage, and the prototyping flights.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Earthsciteach brings up a good point. I would add that these aren't just b-roll footage that is posted up raw. It's clear to me that some editing and effort goes into it without even factoring in the actual filming. Maybe just renaming it as bonus footage. That said, subscription isn't required. I also subscribe to a musician I enjoy: Kristin Hersch who created throwingmusic to promote her bands including throwing muses. She sends subscribers completed albums after releasing songs throughout the year as she writes and records them.

Yeah Pat, shut up stoopid head. ;)

I love the "behind the scenes" footage best. It's like you're actually there. I think this will allow them to make the "premium" content more serious and structured, while this provides the relaxed and fun side.

Also, I think this section is still a test. I see it as the dumping grounds for the nice secret tidbits you won't get in the more structured episodes.