Epoxy or hot glue??

Blackbird

If weight wasn't an issue, which would be better? Epoxy or hot glue?
Also, is an epoxy taking a long time to dry better or one that dries in 5 minutes?
Which is the best epoxy?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Weight isn't the only issue -- in fact it's really hardly an issue -- both of these are regularly accepted as "heavy glues" to be used sparingly.

The pros and cons, as I see them:

-- set time: a 5 min Epoxy will set in 5 min, but will take as long as 24h to fully cure -- depends on the brand. HG will be at full strenght once it gets back to ambient.

-- hardness: Epoxy is *typicaly* very rigid, where hot glue will always have a slight rubbery give to it. there are epoxy blends that are softer, but I've yet to see a truly rigid hot glue stick.

-- perminance: Epoxy is forever. Hot glue might not keep it together sitting in the back window of a car on a hot Georgia summer day (dunno about Karnataka, but from lattitude alone, you might have us beat).

-- mess: unmixed resin sticks to *everything* and creates a tacky coat that's hard to clean -- other than the stringy strands and pulling up overflow on a porus surface, once hot glue cools the mess isn't spreading farther as you try to clean.

-- Safety: Hot glue BURNS!!!! and if it's a big glob, it's really hard to get this scalding hot blob away from your skin. It'll easily give a 1st degree and occationaly 2nd degree burns. Epoxy can be toxic, depending on the formulation.

so which is best? depends on what you want to do . . .

Blackbird

Oh yeah, Karnataka has an average of about 29 degress celsius.
It goes upto 39 sometimes 40.
It's quite cool right now in Autumn and Winter.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeah, about on par with here.

We rarely get that high for more than a week or two (or four), but we'll suffer, then back to really warm instead of unbearable. HG is fine in that weather, unless you put it in a hotbox . . . like a car dashboard. to prevent those cases, I've had good luck "tack-welding" a few spots with a different glue will keep everything in place until it cools down a bit.

Blackbird

It's only that hot for us in June or July if we are unlucky.
We just stay indoors if that happens.
Feels kind of weird contacting someone on the other side of the world doesnt it?
I've lived in Georgia (Atlanta) for 4 years and NC (Charlotte) for another 4 so I have a good idea of the climate.

Flynn

-- Safety: Hot glue BURNS!!!! and if it's a big glob, it's really hard to get this scalding hot blob away from your skin. It'll easily give a 1st degree and occationaly 2nd degree burns. Epoxy can be toxic, depending on the formulation.

I can attest to the burns! One Monday morning, a co-worker asked "How was your weekend?". I said, "I found out Hot Glue and shorts don't mix!" He said, "What were you scrapbooking?" I said' "Nope, building a plane, knucklehead"

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I can attest to the burns! One Monday morning, a co-worker asked "How was your weekend?". I said, "I found out Hot Glue and shorts don't mix!" He said, "What were you scrapbooking?" I said' "Nope, building a plane, knucklehead"

Trying to be gangsta with your hot glue gun? Never bright to put a real gun in your underware, but a HOT GLUE gun?!?!?

Flynn

LOL! No I was working on the plane and the hot glue dripped on my leg. I definitely practice good weapons protocol, even in Jersey

tramsgar

As dan said, use epoxy for the stuff that must not fall apart whatsoever, and/or where rigidity is vital. Set time is mostly a matter of how fast you can work vs how long you can wait. Otherwise use hot glue or something else, epoxy is toxic and allergenic (exam gloves and good ventilation is a good idea).