Epoxy Safety Tips, What Do You Do?

Flite Risk

Me too and I have done considerable work on fiber glassing full size boats, vehicles etc and painting. There is nothing in this world any more that someone some where doesn't claim that it is bad for you. Just good old common sense goes along ways.
Soooo I should not use 5 minute epoxy as hair glue?

Last edited:

Flite Risk

I hook up an old desk top tower case fan to a 3s battery and use that to pull solder fumes out from under my nose.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Stick to TPU, PETG, and PLA for most of your prints (TPU being the rubbery, flexible stuff that's like what phone cases or GoPro mounts are made of), and you'll have no real issues of toxic fumes. I mean, you don't want to stand over it and inhale deeply while it's printing, but you don't need tons of ventilation to print with it like you would with ABS, which has fallen out of favor for printing due to to its release of fumes.
I have only used ABS for a small number of projects, and mostly when light weight was a goal. I may have to grab a spool of the new LW-PLA to work on some of those. For high heat, I have been using PETG since it is easier to work with than ABS.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have only used ABS for a small number of projects, and mostly when light weight was a goal. I may have to grab a spool of the new LW-PLA to work on some of those. For high heat, I have been using PETG since it is easier to work with than ABS.

That "easier to work with" is a big bonus for PETG over ABS. And if I remember correctly, PETG has a food grade quality, so you can print it and use it for say, kitchen utensils. :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
That "easier to work with" is a big bonus for PETG over ABS. And if I remember correctly, PETG has a food grade quality, so you can print it and use it for say, kitchen utensils. :)
So I should print a bunch of water bottles for my bike then.... LOL. The only problem is FDM leaves all sorts of cracks and crevices where bacteria can breed.....

All I've done over all these years has been to maintain the position and the firm belief that I'm made of steel and everything'll be fine. (And worked in a ventilated room if I'm concerned about fumes.) The strategy has worked perfectly so far.

My uncle said asbestos never hurt anybody until they connected it with cancer.

I've never in my life had a bike helmet on my head, and I can prove that's been the smartest choice for me:
1. I've fallen many times, often bumping my head on the pavement, without incurring brain damage.
2. Everybody knows you look dumb if you wear a helmet.
3. Then obviously I would have fallen off my bike and bumped my head and walked away fine... while looking dumb doing it.
Logic! :LOL:

If you don't agree, that's fine. Go use your hand sanitizer. :ROFLMAO: But be sure to use your respirator when you do. The fumes off that stuff will kill you as fast as anything else will.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My uncle said asbestos never hurt anybody until they connected it with cancer.
Everything is fine, until it's not... But yeah, do whatever you're comfortable with. I have a relative who was in a bad bike crash that heavily damaged his helmet. If he hadn't been wearing it that would have been his brain and he wouldn't be here anymore. Admittedly I don't wear a helmet every time I bike though, mainly due to convience. I don't really care if I look "dumb" or not - people think that no matter what I do... :LOL:

Everything is fine, until it's not... But yeah, do whatever you're comfortable with. I have a relative who was in a bad bike crash that heavily damaged his helmet. If he hadn't been wearing it that would have been his brain and he wouldn't be here anymore. Admittedly I don't wear a helmet every time I bike though, mainly due to convience. I don't really care if I look "dumb" or not - people think that no matter what I do... :LOL:
That's why I'm glad I'm not your relative. :D
Now I'll go play with my asbestos some more. :ROFLMAO:

Flite Risk

So I was in a motorcycle accident wearing a helmet, 28 days unconscious and still deal with the effects of a traumatic brain injury to this day. it just so happened I was wearing a helmet that day.

Different strokes for different folks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-154708.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-154708.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 0

Bricks

Master member
Had to chuckle reminds me of Neil Bortz used to say wearing a helmet on the heaviest part of your body turns you into an even larger lawn dart. :poop: :love: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: