EPP FPV Build New problem...Motor starts up when giving right Aileron input

Aran

Hi All,

I have one problem and one query I hope someone can help me with to finally get this bird into the skies.

Problem: When giving right Aileron input my motor starts spinning, not fast, I'd say about 5% power. Is this a TX issue?

I'm using the Turnigy 9x with the 8 channel rx, a Turnigy 35-30 brushless with a 40a hobbyking esc with bec.

Query: my EPP obviously has two servos to drive the ailerons, one on each wing. Since this is my first plane build i'm a little confused as to how to connect them to the RX. I've read about Y leads for servos, however would that not drive both servos in the same direction?

I've also read about y leads with a servo reverser. or do i mount one servo back to front?
My thoughts were to connect the left aileron to the aileron channel and the right to channel 6 and then mix with the TX.

This EPP FPV build has been a git from the start! The manufacturers appear to skip any kind quality assurance prior to dispatch...As for the instructions, pft, not worth the paper they're printed on. (maybe ok for an experienced builder).

Thanks all,
Aran

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
Y leads will move the same direction but if you think about it your horns are oppisite so you will get the correct action( just like using one servo with a symmetrical horn for aileron control). Or you could plug one into ch5 or 6 like you said and program in into your remote to be a second aileron channel then you can have flaperons!

Last edited:

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
The motor spinning is alittle weird just check to see if there's not some weird mix already set into your remote to add power with aileron. Im kinda stumped on that one

Tactical Ex

adamd already said what I was thinking, sounds like some weird mix to me. Also, what mode is your Tx (Mode1 or Mode 2) AND is aileron and throttle on the same stick?

Aran

adamd already said what I was thinking, sounds like some weird mix to me. Also, what mode is your Tx (Mode1 or Mode 2) AND is aileron and throttle on the same stick?

Been right through the TX settings and can't see any mixes at all.

My throttle and rudder are on left stick and elevator and aileron on right.

The motor starts when I give right input on the right stick.

It doesn't get faster the further I push. It's really odd!

My plane is set on acro mode. I also have two other models on the tx for my quad and hexacopter.

I'm not sure if it's going to affect flight as my motor would be on anyway. I'd rather have its perfect after a tough build!

Tactical Ex

To diagnose it you might want to set the endpoints of the throttle differently on your TX and if the speed of the motor changes when you hit right aileron then you know are more likely to find the issue as part of the Tx settings. If the speed doesn't change after setting up the new end point you may want to check your wiring on the plane. Another thing you might want to try is switching the left and right aileron servo connections to receiver and see if the problem follows the channel.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
in addition to tactical ex's idea try plugging in the esc to the battery port on your rx then plug a servo into your throttle channel to see if it moves the servo. you could also make a new throttle channel in your mix settings to see if it still happens

Aran

Y leads will move the same direction but if you think about it your horns are oppisite so you will get the correct action( just like using one servo with a symmetrical horn for aileron control). Or you could plug one into ch5 or 6 like you said and program in into your remote to be a second aileron channel then you can have flaperons!

Y lead installed and I set up a new model on TX now everything is perfect!!

The weird motor start on right aileron input has disappeared!

Sunday is forecast for 10mph winds so I may get to fly after all!

Last edited:

Bedrock

I'm on stock firmware. Am still a noob but learning!

Is it worth upgrading to open tx?

I've done it via the smartieparts board. So unable to help with your query as I never used the stock 9x software at all. But this does sound like a Tx mix issue..