ERC TimSav - Cheap DIY CNC Foamboard Cutter

Edwardchew

@Edwardchew
what are your print settings?
Yo. The print setting.txt is in the .zip pack. I printed all at 3 layers perimeters, 25% infill. But you should use higher strength setting for both the Y plates.

Go to Edward's TimSav page out on Thingiverse and download all files. It includes several zip files... study/search it a bit and you should find all the information you need. There's a file call "print setting.txt"...
Hey sharp eyes!

Wow your experiment with alternative board looks promising! Like to see that working since it can be wireless!

dkj4linux

Elite member
It's late... but I wanted to share this. I finished up the X-axis this evening... and put it to work, air-milling a bunch of stuff. This is just a bunch of diagonals and boxes over DTFB extents (762mm x 508mm).

This machine is absolutely brilliant in it's simplicity... less than $200 and max 2-day build even if working on it part-time (as I did). The capper? It breaks down, folds up, and fits almost anywhere out of the way... in less than 2 minutes. Not to mention that it can easily be thrown into the back seat of the car and taken to your next club meeting :eek:

20191126_012512.jpg

20191126_012527.jpg

20191126_012722.jpg

My hat's off to you, Edward. WELL DONE!

-- David

Edwardchew

It's late... but I wanted to share this. I finished up the X-axis this evening... and put it to work, air-milling a bunch of stuff. This is just a bunch of diagonals and boxes over DTFB extents (762mm x 508mm).

This machine is absolutely brilliant in it's simplicity... less than $200 and max 2-day build even if working on it part-time (as I did). The capper? It breaks down, folds up, and fits almost anywhere out of the way... in less than 2 minutes. Not to mention that it can easily be thrown into the back seat of the car and taken to your next club meeting :eek:

View attachment 149156

View attachment 149157

View attachment 149158

My hat's off to you, Edward. WELL DONE!

-- David
Hahaha i love the background music. the machine sounds smooth!

Well without your generous sharing, this machine won't happen.

Airkaos

@dkj4linux I’ve been following your needle cutting thread for a very long while now, always wanting to make one. But due to space and money constraints have not been able to. Now with this almost portable machine am all in. I hope you develop an easier way to build the gcode as that would make this perfect. As you said before, am not really in to the file sharing, as I also think this would not be good to the guys at flite test, plus am always willing to learn new ways of doing things.

dkj4linux

Elite member
Thanks, Airkaos.

I've been working on a Inkscape-based procedure for processing PDF plans and turning them into gcode that will run Edward's machine. I've got it to the point where all the cut lines (marking-, score-, and through-cuts) are on their respective layers and all other PDF information remains -- it hasn't been deleted -- for reference on non-visible layers. Whereas Edward has recommended using Inkscape 0.91 and a plugin
(MI GRBL Z-Axis Servo Controller) compatible with Inkscape's older internal DPI representation, I use the current Inkscape version and the popular JTech laser plugin... which, in addition to generating "laser" code, generates TimSav needle-cutter code as well, as the servo is driven with the same M3/M5 gcodes as used for laser control. Working one cuttable layer at a time, a separate gcode file is create for each depth of cut... which can then be run separately, or combined into a single file. Marking- and score-cuts should be done first, then "Inside" through-cuts, and, lastly, the "Outside" through-cuts.

I'm leaning on using Google Docs to share this procedure. It won't be formatted and pretty but I'm thinking I should be able to cut-and-paste the information in... and then figure out how to make it public.

I'm thrilled to have you onboard! Welcome to the party! -- David

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Looks like an interesting board David. I just wish it had a second servo output so there's no need for the servo tester. I love being able to control the cutter from gcode on my setup - really tempted to build one of Eric's even though I have my MPCNC - but I want to come up with a compact board that will still let me control the cutter RPM from gcode. Though I'd also like to stick with something like RAMPS that can use an LCD screen and run untethered without a pi to feed GRBL. But RAMPS feels like overkill :)

I'm kind of surprised you haven't hacked the Z to use a little 28BYJ servo with a printed screw setup like you've played with before ;)

Bricks

Master member
I do not know a thing about all this but I may just have to figure out a way to learn it. Give me something mechanical like building the machine great, but the techy stuff that goes along with it now that is animal of a different color.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I do not know a thing about all this but I may just have to figure out a way to learn it. Give me something mechanical like building the machine great, but the techy stuff that goes along with it now that is animal of a different color.
Same - I’m willing to spend $150 on this, but the thing that worries me is being able to get it to work - like if I buy and build it and can’t figure out how to get it to cut, then boom - $150 wasted that I could’ve gotten a c pack twin with...

Airkaos

Same - I’m willing to spend $150 on this, but the thing that worries me is being able to get it to work - like if I buy and build it and can’t figure out how to get it to cut, then boom - $150 wasted that I could’ve gotten a c pack twin with...
I’m like you, handy with my hands :D but the techie stuff goes over my head

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@dkj4linux I have been watching the needle cutter thread, for years now, and wishing I would get off my duff and build one. I wanted to build one that fit under my main table. and was worried about it being too tall. I know wither @kilroy07 or @rockyboy suggested doing it a while back, As I am truly a building and designing fool and I love being able to design and build more and cut less.
@Edwardchew Thanks for pulling together the STL files, and hardware in a easy to build manner. I have just placed an order for your kit. I will post my trials and tribulations here.

dkj4linux

Elite member
Looks like an interesting board David. I just wish it had a second servo output so there's no need for the servo tester. I love being able to control the cutter from gcode on my setup - really tempted to build one of Eric's even though I have my MPCNC - but I want to come up with a compact board that will still let me control the cutter RPM from gcode. Though I'd also like to stick with something like RAMPS that can use an LCD screen and run untethered without a pi to feed GRBL. But RAMPS feels like overkill :)

I'm kind of surprised you haven't hacked the Z to use a little 28BYJ servo with a printed screw setup like you've played with before ;)
Hey, Jason! Good to hear from you.

Like you, since this is a 2-axis machine ATM... most of the 3-axis (or more) controllers seem like overkill. I just happened to have the little ManaSE board on hand... the Eleksmaker A3 machine it came with has indeed been converted to 3-axis with the same little 28BYJ printed-screw setup I'd done previously. Shame on me... I didn't forsee that you'd be coming along, lamenting the lack of a second servo output ;)

I have indeed considered addling a light-weight third axis... just haven't played with this machine enough to flesh it out yet. But one thing I do like about the servo-drive that Edward has used is that the gcode is easily generated with the same JTech laser plugin that I've been using for a couple of years with all my laser machines. It'll be the same workflow... whether this thing is carrying a needle-cutter or a laser. And since I really don't need a needle-cutter (outside of development activities) nowadays, I'm most likely going to go straight to laser with this machine.

I'm really growing to like Grbl... and I've been looking at several different controller boards out there. And, speaking of LCDs, I'd really like to look into this one from Chronos. It looks identical to the little Mana SE board I'm using now... but seems to have a different connector for hooking up the display/pendant. Just need to keep looking... :)

-- David

Last edited:

dutchmonkey

so i have a left over MKS base V1.5 board (swapped printer to 32bit) do you think i could get this to work without having to use the servo tester? i am going to set this up per kit parts then look at tweaking it.

chris398mx

Master member
@dkj4linux I have been watching the needle cutter thread, for years now, and wishing I would get off my duff and build one. I wanted to build one that fit under my main table. and was worried about it being too tall. I know wither @kilroy07 or @rockyboy suggested doing it a while back, As I am truly a building and designing fool and I love being able to design and build more and cut less.
@Edwardchew Thanks for pulling together the STL files, and hardware in a easy to build manner. I have just placed an order for your kit. I will post my trials and tribulations here.
I just ordered one as well. Finally may be able to quit cutting my fingers......LOL.

jpot1

Elite member

@The Hangar - check out Edwards videos on YouTube. He really holds your hand through the entire process. The FB group is pretty responsive if questions arise as well. I’m thinking if you can figure out servos/esc connectors/ radio programming, this build should be no problem.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The Hangar - check out Edwards videos on YouTube. He really holds your hand through the entire process. The FB group is pretty responsive if questions arise as well. I’m thinking if you can figure out servos/esc connectors/ radio programming, this build should be no problem.
I'll watch all the vids as this is sooo tempting!

dkj4linux

Elite member
I've been thinking and really don't want to hijack or mess up Edward's thread... he's worked extremely hard to put a complete package together (hardware, software, and procedures) that the most novice of beginners can follow and wind up with a machine to cut their foamboard. I highly recommend that ANYONE who is in the least unsure of themselves in things CNC, DIY, CAD, CAM, and microcontrollers should follow his instructions faithfully.

I've been messing with this kind of stuff most of my adult life and have built numerous CNC machines and needle-cutters... so I'm very comfortable with deviating from a recipe and using parts I have on hand or can readily get. I've built Edward's machine pretty stock, from a hardware standpoint, to this point... but have taken a different tack with the controller and workflow. I doubt I'll ever put a needle-cutter on my machine either (I don't need it...) and will instead be looking at other tooling and things "Z". Therefore, I'm going to take those portions not specific to Edward's machine to my needle-cutter thread... where these kinds of things have been discussed at length and are of a more general nature. I do not want to unduly influence or confuse/contend/contradict anything that Edward has presented. I'll continue to hang out here and contribute where I can but, if you are adventurous and/or interested in the alternative approaches I've mentioned, we can discuss it over there. Anything specific to Edward's machine, and its support, should remain here. PLEASE recognize that I think Edward's machine is brilliant... so I'm not going away "mad". I'm just taking things not specific to his machine elsewhere.

-- David

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
What David just said. I haven't used it myself but Edwards setup looks like by far the best option for those who want something that just works and don't want to tinker.

Please don't let guys like me and David who enjoy the tinkering scare you away if that's you, Edward had standardized and documented a great solution for those who don't want to tinker.

jpot1

Elite member
I've been thinking and really don't want to hijack or mess up Edward's thread... he's worked extremely hard to put a complete package together (hardware, software, and procedures) that the most novice of beginners can follow and wind up with a machine to cut their foamboard. I highly recommend that ANYONE who is in the least unsure of themselves in things CNC, DIY, CAD, CAM, and microcontrollers should follow his instructions faithfully.

I've been messing with this kind of stuff most of my adult life and have built numerous CNC machines and needle-cutters... so I'm very comfortable with deviating from a recipe and using parts I have on hand or can readily get. I've built Edward's machine pretty stock, from a hardware standpoint, to this point... but have taken a different tack with the controller and workflow. I doubt I'll ever put a needle-cutter on my machine either... and will be looking at tooling and things "Z". Therefore, I'm going to take those portions not specific to Edward's machine to my needle-cutter thread... where these kinds of things have been discussed at length and are of a more general nature. I do not want to unduly influence or confuse/contend/contradict anything that Edward has presented. I'll continue to hang out here and contribute where I can but, if you are adventurous and/or interested in the alternative approaches I've mentioned, we can discuss it over there. Anything specific to Edward's machine, and its support, should remain here. PLEASE recognize that I think Edward's machine is brilliant... so I'm not going away "mad". I'm just taking things not specific to his machine elsewhere.

-- David
Still very interested to see what you come up with regarding the laser plugin. I looked up the plugin and was thinking of trying it out. Will have to do some fiddling to figure out commands for the different depths.

I came up with a similar approach with 4 layers in Inkscape: orig, full, score, and mark. Was going to do a quick video.