ERC TimSav - Cheap DIY CNC Foamboard Cutter

kevbospr

As my father used to say, "Up jumped the devil!": I got everything powered up, had a few missed attempts connecting, finally got going and had the cutter stop 1/3 of the way through. Reset, tried again, got a little further. Powered everything down, took a very close look at wiring connections, stepper driver connections, CNCShield-to-Arduino connection, tried again. Got all the way to 1/2 , died again. I issued a stop in GRBL, then a close / reset and got the attached garbled response. It feels like a connectivity issue, or a sick CNCShield or Arduino. No magic blue smoke coming out, nothing even warm to the touch, just stop and freeze. I would value any thoughts anyone has... View attachment 174957 View attachment 174957

UPDATE: The Arduino "Clone" was the issue; I received a genuine Uno today, took about a minute to uplaod the Robottini sketch, another 10 minutes to install it and connect the CNCShield. I did a dry run without turning on the cutter motor, and it did a fine job; started over with the cutter running, and I have a complete sheet. Bonus - The improved cutter head from Zerok Sever (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4330662) produces very straight line cuts due to the inability of the cutter head to "wiggle" on the slide screws. Nice straight lines, smooth flowing curves, and no changing X-Acto blades every sheet! That was the point of this for me!!!

GrizWiz

Elite member
I would love to make this cnc but unfortunately I do not have a 3D printer.
I can try to cut most of the parts from plywood by hand but that does not seem very fun.
Would mdf be easier to cut by hand?

Michael9865

Elite member
I would love to make this cnc but unfortunately I do not have a 3D printer.
I can try to cut most of the parts from plywood by hand but that does not seem very fun.
Would mdf be easier to cut by hand?

You could check your local library or maker space to see if they have 3D printers.

GrizWiz

Elite member
Will do!
I was also looking at openbuilds for other simple looking cnc it looks like their acro kit it really simple!

GrizWiz

Elite member
I think I'm going to buy the acro plate set plus hardware and 3 extrusions 2040
Buying the acro plate set would solve my problem with no 3d printer.
The frame + timing belts and pulleys + hardware would cost around 100 USD

twotto

Hi finally received my ERC Timsav from China. I have it fully assembled and I am now having difficulty following Edward YouTube video on setting up the programs in the computer. Is there anyone that could help me that has the stock set up that Edward supplies?

kevinp

Ordered my kit April 26 and it just arrived today. I'm done ordering anything from China. If Amazon can't get it to me in a couple days, I don't need it. I'm not blaming Edward. That's just the state our world is in today.