ERC TimSav - Cheap DIY CNC Foamboard Cutter

epsilon

Whelp... finally started putting mine together. Came in conveniently while i was out in Cali a month or so ago. Printed out a cable chain for it but need to source and print some proper mounting points for it. Think i'm done tinkering tonight... Considering a bit of a road trip tomorrow to John's fun fly.

epsilon

Time for testing! I did (what was for me) something unthinkable, joined Facebook and spend the last week plowing through the ERC TimSav group and incorporating all that information with everything I've read here. @dutchmonkey , I ordered flanged bearings from Amazon, at $10 it was a cheap experiment. I printed the X-Tensioner & support from the Facebook group, which seemed MUCH less prone to flexing on the far end of the 2020 X-carrier extrusion, and modified the Y-plates in TinkerCAD to add a second rolling support and standoffs to tie the end of the Y-plates together as the stepper motors flexed a lot on the Y-plates and I don't like things dangling. @Matagami Designs, I also printed Zerok's improved cutter assembly, which relies on linear ball bearings and has no flex or slop, but is smooth as glass. Gonna be doing a lot of cutting this weekend! View attachment 174942 View attachment 174943 View attachment 174944

Been looking all over for that cutter assembly and can't find it... wouldn't happen to have a link would ya? Love the linear bearing idea...

CapnBry

Elite member
Been looking all over for that cutter assembly and can't find it... wouldn't happen to have a link would ya? Love the linear bearing idea...
I think this is it, right? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4330662

This is why nobody should use facebook as a forum system because stuff is virtually impossible to find! When I wanted to build one a month ago I eventually had to scroll through every post just looking for it.

Guy S.

This is why nobody should use facebook as a forum system because stuff is virtually impossible to find! When I wanted to build one a month ago I eventually had to scroll through every post just looking for it.
I agree. Closed groups on facebook lock alot of info away and make it unsearchable. Posts on forums like this or RCGroups will show on a search engine.

epsilon

Funny thing is I had seen this but didn't realize it was it... just ordered all the bits and pieces from amazon. Yeah, fb isn't a great place for sharing files pertaining to a build. Even this forum isn't the greatest. I know there's a "resource" section but far as i know it's not really organizable. Wish we had a "Folder" attached to this particular thread that we could throw files in a folder tree that makes sense...
Like...
Root folder:
TimSAV
Sub Folders:
The original (For all things non moded) / MODS (might even have separate folders to organize specific mod types) / Software / Cutting files

anyway... thanks guys. i'm sure i'll be back more often as i try to get this thing running.

rossmort

Funny thing is I had seen this but didn't realize it was it... just ordered all the bits and pieces from amazon. Yeah, fb isn't a great place for sharing files pertaining to a build. Even this forum isn't the greatest. I know there's a "resource" section but far as i know it's not really organizable. Wish we had a "Folder" attached to this particular thread that we could throw files in a folder tree that makes sense...
Like...
Root folder:
TimSAV
Sub Folders:
The original (For all things non moded) / MODS (might even have separate folders to organize specific mod types) / Software / Cutting files

anyway... thanks guys. i'm sure i'll be back more often as i try to get this thing running.
Do you recall your all-in cost through amazon? Also, any way to (easily) convert your order of parts to an amazon buy list? I was going through the banggood list and it gets tedious!

The idea of making this is awesome. Wish I didn't miss being able to buy the ERC pack!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I bought the LE kit from ERC.. and after a year, just started getting it built. Pics below.

Question I have is did edwardRC or anyone here put together a list of FliteTest gcodes for the cutter?

IMG_20201221_142452908.jpg IMG_20201222_003845460.jpg 20201223_125019.jpg
I left mine bigger to accommodate monster foam size. (Possibly be able to cut 2sheet at once)

w1lp33

I bought the LE kit from ERC.. and after a year, just started getting it built. Pics below.

Question I have is did edwardRC or anyone here put together a list of FliteTest gcodes for the cutter?

View attachment 186930 View attachment 186929 View attachment 186928
I left mine bigger to accommodate monster foam size. (Possibly be able to cut 2sheet at once)

If you join the ERC group on facebook, there's a list of tonnes of gcodes for builds in the Files section there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/erctimsav

Jeepsterjc

I just wanted to say hello.
I've purchased the 2020 and 2040 v-slot after shopping around. Being rather remote here in Canada, and not wanting to travel great distances I'm going to take a while getting all the rest of the bits together. I've built a dozen or so 3d printers and have some of the parts laying around.
I think I'll make the main gantry out of aluminum plate and increase the spacing between the wheel pairs several inches/mm... I've got a couple of questions.
1 Has anyone sorted out how to fasten the needle drum to the motor without using hot glue?
2 Is there a preferred needle cutter assembly? Bearings/no bearings etc... Needle stock thickness?
Thank you. That's about it for now!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I think I need to figure the paired wired of the stepper... Right now it jitters.
Otherwise everything else is ready.

Last edited:

Jeepsterjc

Hi. I'm shopping for the needle wire. What diameter of music wire works well. I've read ~0.024" is used and if so do I buy a 0.025 welding tip?
This seems to be what Edward calls for, too. Thanks

grindel

Gents,

I need some help. I cannot figure out why my steps/mm seems to change between these two files. They are just a couple of parts for the FT explorer power pod. The "firewall" part seems to want 70steps/mm, the firewall cover seems to want 20steps/mm. I have attached the Gcode and the inkscape files. Document properties seems to be the same between the two files so I really am having a tough time understanding what I did wrong. Thanks for any and all help. I don't do facebook, so this is my first attempt at help. Everything else seems to be working, though.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BP4Ba9u2QYKAraZnh4o6tfMXCOm7Tg1-?usp=sharing

Matagami Designs

Master member
Gents,

I need some help. I cannot figure out why my steps/mm seems to change between these two files. They are just a couple of parts for the FT explorer power pod. The "firewall" part seems to want 70steps/mm, the firewall cover seems to want 20steps/mm. I have attached the Gcode and the inkscape files. Document properties seems to be the same between the two files so I really am having a tough time understanding what I did wrong. Thanks for any and all help. I don't do facebook, so this is my first attempt at help. Everything else seems to be working, though.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BP4Ba9u2QYKAraZnh4o6tfMXCOm7Tg1-?usp=sharing

Steps per mm shouldn't be part of the gcode. Steps per mm is part of setting up the machine and is used in the conversion from gcode in mm to actual steps the motor needs to move. Not sure what your looking at though since I cant access your files. I probably wouldn't be much help since I don't use inkscape to make my gcode. Are you talking about feedrate perhaps mm/minute they seem awful low speeds if though?