• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

ERC TimSav - Cheap DIY CNC Foamboard Cutter

Whelp... finally started putting mine together. Came in conveniently while i was out in Cali a month or so ago. Printed out a cable chain for it but need to source and print some proper mounting points for it. Think i'm done tinkering tonight... Considering a bit of a road trip tomorrow to John's fun fly.

Time for testing! I did (what was for me) something unthinkable, joined Facebook and spend the last week plowing through the ERC TimSav group and incorporating all that information with everything I've read here. @dutchmonkey , I ordered flanged bearings from Amazon, at $10 it was a cheap experiment. I printed the X-Tensioner & support from the Facebook group, which seemed MUCH less prone to flexing on the far end of the 2020 X-carrier extrusion, and modified the Y-plates in TinkerCAD to add a second rolling support and standoffs to tie the end of the Y-plates together as the stepper motors flexed a lot on the Y-plates and I don't like things dangling. @Matagami Designs, I also printed Zerok's improved cutter assembly, which relies on linear ball bearings and has no flex or slop, but is smooth as glass. Gonna be doing a lot of cutting this weekend! View attachment 174942 View attachment 174943 View attachment 174944
Been looking all over for that cutter assembly and can't find it... wouldn't happen to have a link would ya? Love the linear bearing idea...

CapnBry

Been looking all over for that cutter assembly and can't find it... wouldn't happen to have a link would ya? Love the linear bearing idea...
I think this is it, right? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4330662

This is why nobody should use facebook as a forum system because stuff is virtually impossible to find! When I wanted to build one a month ago I eventually had to scroll through every post just looking for it.

This is why nobody should use facebook as a forum system because stuff is virtually impossible to find! When I wanted to build one a month ago I eventually had to scroll through every post just looking for it.
I agree. Closed groups on facebook lock alot of info away and make it unsearchable. Posts on forums like this or RCGroups will show on a search engine.

Funny thing is I had seen this but didn't realize it was it... just ordered all the bits and pieces from amazon. Yeah, fb isn't a great place for sharing files pertaining to a build. Even this forum isn't the greatest. I know there's a "resource" section but far as i know it's not really organizable. Wish we had a "Folder" attached to this particular thread that we could throw files in a folder tree that makes sense...
Like...
Root folder:
TimSAV
Sub Folders:
The original (For all things non moded) / MODS (might even have separate folders to organize specific mod types) / Software / Cutting files

anyway... thanks guys. i'm sure i'll be back more often as i try to get this thing running.