Attachments

• DTFB_holes.dxf
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DTFB_horizontal_slots.dxf
    16.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DTFB_vertical_slots.dxf
    20.2 KB · Views: 0

jamin12369

I do not know if anyone has done this before, but I could not find any info so thought I would post.

I was able to connect an offline CNC controller to the CNC shield.
61ZSO+vbjGL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Pin #2=5v, #4=Gnd, #6=Rx, #8=Tx. Everything works as it should so far!

white wire is 5v

1618357132505.jpeg
1618357093346.jpeg

If you decide to use this be SURE that USB is not plugged in. They do not play well together and could brake your computer!

Sero

Elite member
So I finally got my TimSav (recent kit from Edward) up and running and was pretty excited. I first did some manual cuts and the cuts were so nice! Then I tried cutting a plane without the foamboard just to make sure the job completes, no luck. I've ran it about a dozen times, 5 different sheets with only 2 of them completing. After reaching out on the Facebook group it was suggested that I try powering up the shield through the blue connector rather than the Uno and the servo off the servo tester. Did that with the same result. I also unplugged the ESC and servo so the stepper motors are the only moving electrical load, same result.
Next it seems that a replacement Uno is recommended, which I have one form a kit I bought a few years back, but I can't seem to load the robottini firmware into it. So a genuine Arduino Uno is on order. Anyone have challenges with this and found a solution?
All the above was done on my desktop PC, I was hoping on running it from my laptop but it seems the GRBL controller software wont recognize any of the ports.

Anyone have any similar experience or suggestions?

PXL_20210630_210307121.jpg

GrizWiz

Elite member
The way Edward powers his cnc shield is powered by 12v. He has the + connected to the vin pin on the shield. Is it safe to input more than 12v the way he has it?

Dudley1001

I recommend powering the machine through the blue power connector on the cnc shield. There is a diode on the uno that is only rated at 1 amp and has been known to go up in smoke if the machine is run through the black power connector on the uno. As far as running on higher voltage power supply, you can probably go to 24vdc without any problem. The cnc shield will power the uno and the onboard 5v regulator will supply the other power requirement. I do also suggest that you power the servo off the extra pins on the servo tester (red and Black wires to the tester and white to the pin on the uno) as this will reduce the load on the 5v regulator on the uno.
cnc shield wiring.png

GrizWiz

Elite member
I recommend powering the machine through the blue power connector on the cnc shield. There is a diode on the uno that is only rated at 1 amp and has been known to go up in smoke if the machine is run through the black power connector on the uno. As far as running on higher voltage power supply, you can probably go to 24vdc without any problem. The cnc shield will power the uno and the onboard 5v regulator will supply the other power requirement. I do also suggest that you power the servo off the extra pins on the servo tester (red and Black wires to the tester and white to the pin on the uno) as this will reduce the load on the 5v regulator on the uno.
View attachment 203567
Thanks! I almost blew out my computer a while ago and don't want to take any risks!

Dudley1001

the main reason for no tmc2208 is price but they should work fine in standalone mod. I was thinking I was going to try them and they are sitting on my table right now as the motors are a bit noisy when running my laser on it. The cnc/uno kits usually come with either the a4988 or the drv8825 drivers. Don't worry about noisy steppers when running the neele cutter, they are quieter than than the needle going through the foamboard! I recommend hearing protection around this guy. As for the stl files are here erc files . There are a lot of modded parts as well so just do a search on thingiverse and see whats out there. As for the uno, some folks have had problems with the cheap uno clones with the ch340 usb chip ( some work great) and I recommend paying a bit more for the uno boards with the 16u2 usb chip

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hey guys i'm really keen to build one of these...
i have a couple of question....
does this use arduino uno and stepper motor shield?
i live in south africa..... can i scratch build this cnc with out using any kit?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
hey guys i'm really keen to build one of these...
i have a couple of question....
does this use arduino uno and stepper motor shield?
i live in south africa..... can i scratch build this cnc with out using any kit?
ok never mind..... i just saw the parts list.... seems like i'm going to be building one soon.... it'll make my planes look far neater....
how many 3d printed parts are there in total??? i have a friend with a 3d printer.... hopefully he can print the parts for me....
i should be able to build this for about $50 all up... as i've got tons of parts for "stuff already" powersupplies.... alaminium...... servos...arduin's etc

Dudley1001

ok never mind..... i just saw the parts list.... seems like i'm going to be building one soon.... it'll make my planes look far neater....
how many 3d printed parts are there in total??? i have a friend with a 3d printer.... hopefully he can print the parts for me....
i should be able to build this for about $50 all up... as i've got tons of parts for "stuff already" powersupplies.... alaminium...... servos...arduin's etc

That's what I did, I did the diy route using surplus copier motors and a few other things. The kit was just that, a kit with all the hardware but missing the rails and printed parts. I would look at my previous post showing how to wire it up as the video shows the power going through the uno rather than the power connector on the cnc

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
That's what I did, I did the diy route using surplus copier motors and a few other things. The kit was just that, a kit with all the hardware but missing the rails and printed parts. I would look at my previous post showing how to wire it up as the video shows the power going through the uno rather than the power connector on the cnc
the uno's pcb vin connector is good up around 3A but above that you're indanger of burning out the track... and that's really hard to fix..... REally REALLY Hard

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
you used stepper M's from old printers??? cool i've got about 10 old printers lying around.....

So I finally got my TimSav (recent kit from Edward) up and running and was pretty excited. I first did some manual cuts and the cuts were so nice! Then I tried cutting a plane without the foamboard just to make sure the job completes, no luck. I've ran it about a dozen times, 5 different sheets with only 2 of them completing. After reaching out on the Facebook group it was suggested that I try powering up the shield through the blue connector rather than the Uno and the servo off the servo tester. Did that with the same result. I also unplugged the ESC and servo so the stepper motors are the only moving electrical load, same result.
Next it seems that a replacement Uno is recommended, which I have one form a kit I bought a few years back, but I can't seem to load the robottini firmware into it. So a genuine Arduino Uno is on order. Anyone have challenges with this and found a solution?
All the above was done on my desktop PC, I was hoping on running it from my laptop but it seems the GRBL controller software wont recognize any of the ports.

Anyone have any similar experience or suggestions?

View attachment 202789
Did you get this resolved? I have heard that the power supply you use for the Arduino can cause this. Here's the one I am using - over 30 sheets through mine with no issues:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0842ZBH5H/?tag=lstir-20