ERC TimSav - Cheap DIY CNC Foamboard Cutter

dutchmonkey

Mine was the 10th it wasn't much movement but its something still don't have an expected delivery date

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191224-184347~2.png
    Screenshot_20191224-184347~2.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 0

CapnBry

Elite member
What an elegant and simple solution! I considered making a needle cutter to cut out my plans (since I break a lot of planes) but didn't want to build a whole MPCNC or similar. This seems right up my alley because I've amassed enough spare 3D printer parts over the years to almost build one with parts on hand. Just need to get some of the full size v-wheels and a couple pieces of extrusion... unless I want to build a TimSav that can only cut ~400mm pieces.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

dutchmonkey

Well i am disappointed in this kit. One of the big reasons i bought the "lite kit" was because it was supposed to come pre-flashed with the firmware, stepper drivers and jumper wire installed you know plug and play he states this in his video. Well not mine i have been fighting with trying to get the firmware uploaded onto the arduino onu with no luck. I have tried 4 different computers over the past 12 hours with no luck. So now after a month+ wait in shipping i am now going to have to wait another month for a new board and try again.:mad:

mach1 rc

Master member
Well i am disappointed in this kit. One of the big reasons i bought the "lite kit" was because it was supposed to come pre-flashed with the firmware, stepper drivers and jumper wire installed you know plug and play he states this in his video. Well not mine i have been fighting with trying to get the firmware uploaded onto the arduino onu with no luck. I have tried 4 different computers over the past 12 hours with no luck. So now after a month+ wait in shipping i am now going to have to wait another month for a new board and try again.:mad:
Oh my I don't know if I'll get one then🤔

newguy2012

Anyone in the St Louis area? I don't have a 3d printer and no one I know has one. Curious what one would charge for the 3d parts?

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Hey dutchmonkey,

I had a minor glitch while flashing my Arduino as well. Edward has a help.doc that I believe is linked from one of his ERC instruction videos on his YOUTUBE channel. If not you can PM him on FACEBOOK and he may help you direct. He helped me. My issue was fixed in a minute.

My problem was simple--I did not realize after I had flashed the Arduino 3X it had actually taken the first time. When I was checking it in the GRBL program I simply had my "BAUD RATE" at the default--If you set it to the max setting - ~ 11500 it works. It was a simple setting issue. Not sure if this is the problem you are seeing, because I thought my Arduino was not flashing either!!

Hope this may help. If not, PM Edward Just remember there is a time difference.

dutchmonkey

Hey dutchmonkey,

I had a minor glitch while flashing my Arduino as well. Edward has a help.doc that I believe is linked from one of his ERC instruction videos on his YOUTUBE channel. If not you can PM him on FACEBOOK and he may help you direct. He helped me. My issue was fixed in a minute.

My problem was simple--I did not realize after I had flashed the Arduino 3X it had actually taken the first time. When I was checking it in the GRBL program I simply had my "BAUD RATE" at the default--If you set it to the max setting - ~ 11500 it works. It was a simple setting issue. Not sure if this is the problem you are seeing, because I thought my Arduino was not flashing either!!

Hope this may help. If not, PM Edward Just remember there is a time difference.

Yes i did follow his help folder with no luck. i tried 2 good working cables (currently used on my 3d printers), 3 different versions of Arduino and 4 different windows systems with no luck all paths lead to no bootloader. One of the guys i work with had an extra good uno sitting around and let me borrow it to test and install a bootloader on mine. His took the sketch and worked flawlessly. I then proceeded to install the bootloader on my uno and after i got that installed i was able to get robotini 0.9i loaded on mine and its now working. Still not happy with the situation if he is not going to send preloaded uno's he needs to remove that from his videos and documents.

Last edited:

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Yeah when I got my ERC kit, I thought it was coming with the Arduino flashed as well. I know the first two batches of kits he sent out were flashed as mentioned in his earlier videos. I found out it was not flashed by emailing Edward. I think a note in the later kit boxes to let you know you have to flash the Arduino would have worked too. Of course, if you have issues when flashing the Arduino that gets annoying. My Arduino issue was simple to overcome.

My kit is almost ready to run.