Ercoupe Balsa Build

Wildthing

Legendary member
Very nice. A super convenient setup compared to having to screw everything down! I've thought about saving some of that soft sheet-foam packing material that they'll wrap things in, to pack a component in place but I'm afraid of restricting any airflow. :unsure:
The foam did come from a shipping box , very porous and light. Guys at the club said especially with gas engine because they cause so much vibration the rx should be in foam so I just figured I would make a holder for all of it.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well I decided on no pilot so on goes the canopy, now that was a pain because the front contour didn't match so I literally had to heat and mold it around the fuse. Left side went slick but right side not as pretty, I think after doing the left side and it went so smooth I probably rushed the right side . it is what it is though, no do-overs :) . Technically she is ready to maiden now, weather is crappy now and rain forcasted for a few days so will see what happens.

IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4357.JPG

cyclone3350

Master member
I usually don't bother to put pilots in either. It would be my luck that the one I install, just happens to be Chuckie's cousin with the demonic possession of a ghost from some kamikaze guy who missed the Carrier. BTW, the one thing that drives me batty is trying to match paint the cowling to the covering. You did a nice job on this one.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I usually don't bother to put pilots in either. It would be my luck that the one I install, just happens to be Chuckie's cousin with the demonic possession of a ghost from some kamikaze guy who missed the Carrier. BTW, the one thing that drives me batty is trying to match paint the cowling to the covering. You did a nice job on this one.
I like Chuckie, I think he is cool :D .

The paint is as close as I could get and it is still slightly darker then the covering, brightest red I could find. It bugged me on the Extra so I sprayed part of the covering so I couldn't see it but of course paint doesn't stick to it very good so now I have pieces flaking off.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Finally it stopped raining, got out today to maiden the Ercoupe, got in three flights today with it. Did have to deadstick land it once, after a full circuit inverted I went into a loop and she just quit but it glides nice so no damage. Flies excellent, just have to work on the carb settings to get it to idle better , there is no taxing, just let her go and take off. :D

cyclone3350

Master member
Finally it stopped raining, got out today to maiden the Ercoupe, got in three flights today with it. Did have to deadstick land it once, after a full circuit inverted I went into a loop and she just quit but it glides nice so no damage. Flies excellent, just have to work on the carb settings to get it to idle better , there is no taxing, just let her go and take off. :D

Wow! What an impressive aircraft U got there. Nice recovery on the dead stick. BTW, is it true that the Ercoupe flies like a car?

Really beautiful in the air.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Also drilling one more hole in the cowl so I can get at the idle mixture screw, can't get it down to a decent idle right now without it stalling.

IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_4361.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well never done it before on a tiny engine but let's set the valve lash . I think it was a good thing to check because the gap was easily over the recommended max , definitely feels like it has more compression now so we will see if that helps get it idling better plus should see an increase in power. Now if the wind would go away we could try it again.