Ercoupe Balsa Build

Wildthing

Legendary member
Horizontal, control surfaces and bottom side of the wings are done along with the upper side of the center section.
IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG
IMG_4341.JPG

cyclone3350

Master member
OMG! I luv that stuff. I just did a Comet 54" Taylorcraft using it. I wish it was still available. It goes great over foam as I also used it on this thingy that I built using parts from a chuck glider. Let me know if there is a secrete stash hidden somewhere that I can buy from.

Attachments

• IMG_4054 (3).jpg
    IMG_4054 (3).jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3990 (002).jpg
    IMG_3990 (002).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
OMG! I luv that stuff. I just did a Comet 54" Taylorcraft using it. I wish it was still available. It goes great over foam as I also used it on this thingy that I built using parts from a chuck glider. Let me know if there is a secrete stash hidden somewhere that I can buy from.
I don't know any better, really just my first few times doing covering period. I see your skills covering are way better then mine LOL.

How did you cut out the designs, they look perfect

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hey as far as it not being available when doing the Maddness I needed another roll and found it online in quite a few places but when I was in my LHS they ordered it for me plus more for inventory so it is still out there.

cyclone3350

Master member
I don't know any better, really just my first few times doing covering period. I see your skills covering are way better then mine LOL.

How did you cut out the designs, they look perfect

What U have looks great. As far as my pattern making, I lay large (11X17 ) printing paper over it and started to freehand the Camo with a pencil. Cut out with X-acto and lay the pattern directly over the film and retrace around the pattern with a fresh and sharp X-acto. I buy them in bulk when I can, as I only get few pieces done before changing blades.

cyclone3350

Master member
Hey as far as it not being available when doing the Maddness I needed another roll and found it online in quite a few places but when I was in my LHS they ordered it for me plus more for inventory so it is still out there.

Thanks. I will do another google search. It has been about 8 mos. since I last looked and only found a few rolls out there. I have heard that they might bring it back.

Wildthing

Legendary member
What U have looks great. As far as my pattern making, I lay large (11X17 ) printing paper over it and started to freehand the Camo with a pencil. Cut out with X-acto and lay the pattern directly over the film and retrace around the pattern with a fresh and sharp X-acto. I buy them in bulk when I can, as I only get few pieces done before changing blades.
Your freehand cutting looks like a machine did it. :)

I believe TopFlite is who manufactures it now, the old first roll I had was from Hobico and the new rolls are Topflite, either way he was able to bring in more inventory.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Curse you for not putting this in the balsa section. Didn't see it until now! :)

It looks like whoever built this initially did a good job at least. I wonder who made this kit? Surprisingly few manufacturers have kitted Ercoupes, a real shame if you ask me because I think it's quite a pretty ship.

I would have personally side mounted the engine, it would look sleeker without it exposed out the top. Most 4-cycles will run perfectly fine on their sides. But, now that the hole is cut there's no going back really. At least in this configuration, there will not be any cooling problems.
Ok, finally took a look at the blue prints and it was designed by Nick Ziroli, plans are dated 1999 . Most of the pieces have hand writing on them so I think he hand cut all the pieces. The cowl and canopy might have been part of the blue prints cost along with the landing gear.

In with those blueprints is another set, Flyn King by Bruce Tharpe, high wing and 80" WS if I remember right.