Help! Ercoupe Twin Rudder Tail w/Aileron Control?

Checked into a 1940's two seat plane called the Ercoupe. The designer connected the cable controls for the rudders and the ailerons together so the "Wheel" controlled both when turned left or right. No rudder pedals. Can this be done by rigging Y-cable servo harnesses between the aileron and rudder servos plugged into the aileron channel on the receiver?
And since the Ercoupe was a twin tail, could I use 2 servos since my rudders are quite big, linking them together instead of 1 servo with a single long servo wire? Or would it be better to run a next size up (5 gram to a 9 gram) single servo and the long wire?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I believe in the KISS principle and therefore I question the effort in all the extra connections etc when a simple rudder/aileron mix would be equally effective. The rudder need not be in the rudder channel, (If you do not want any separate rudder control input ability), and a separate mix between the used channel and the ailerons would suffice.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

I believe in the KISS principle and therefore I question the effort in all the extra connections etc when a simple rudder/aileron mix would be equally effective. The rudder need not be in the rudder channel, (If you do not want any separate rudder control input ability), and a separate mix between the used channel and the ailerons would suffice.

Just a thought!

Have fun!

So let me get this straight in my head, since transmitters are much more advanced since my last one. Hook up like normal on the plane and let the Transmitter mix rudder action with ailerons, so when you move the stick to pitch the plane the rudder automatically moves?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So let me get this straight in my head, since transmitters are much more advanced since my last one. Hook up like normal on the plane and let the Transmitter mix rudder action with ailerons, so when you move the stick to pitch the plane the rudder automatically moves?
Absolutely correct! In addition you can shift the rudder function to an unused channel so that the rudder stick does nothing OR leave the rudder functional for use in emergencies if ever needed. Your choice!

One added benefit is that you can quickly and easily adjust the amount of aileron effect on the rudder by varying the mix ratio. Far simpler than trying to adjust everything mechanically! Also you can start the mix ratio very low and "Sneak up" on the desired effect gradually rather than find you suddenly have too much effect and something that is almost uncontrollable for the first!

Have fun!

Seahunter

Probably not much help from me, but I built a Dumas 36" model of the Ercoupe, see my post Aug 8, 2018. The kit did not provide rudders, but I wanted the smooth co ordinated turns plus a steerable nose wheel so I hooked up my own. don't know how big your model is, but you can see in the photos how I hooked them up. Unfortunately, I chickened out and can not relate any flying experiences and the model is sort of a hangar queen now. Didn't want to bash all that work! Saw some u-tube on them, fly great. Hope to build one from DTFB someday. Fred

Absolutely correct! In addition you can shift the rudder function to an unused channel so that the rudder stick does nothing OR leave the rudder functional for use in emergencies if ever needed. Your choice!

One added benefit is that you can quickly and easily adjust the amount of aileron effect on the rudder by varying the mix ratio. Far simpler than trying to adjust everything mechanically! Also you can start the mix ratio very low and "Sneak up" on the desired effect gradually rather than find you suddenly have too much effect and something that is almost uncontrollable for the first!

Have fun!

K-E-W-E-L! Okay... that was TONS easier than I thought! Thanks so much @Hai-Lee!
And to @Seahunter, I hear ya about the "Hangar Queen" effect of a nice build. I've adapted a scratch build of a SC-7 Short Bros Skyvan (Flying Shoebox to us older Vets) based on the FT Guinea Pig. I need to rebuild the tail (Do able since it was added), and refine how it works. But don't be afraid of the maiden. Take a tip I learned here... take pictures and measurements. Make backup plans. Buy an unopened ($25) box of DTFB from the nearest retailer and PLAY! (That and a few bags of glue sticks) BUILD! Adapt your kit to a close style air frame here at FT, or buy the close style kit and Kitbash a Ercoupe! Oh, and by the way... get a big cardboard box for scraps. They will give you ideas, and do/will come in handy in so many ways. This is the age of FUN again in RC Planes.