ESC-Battery issue

0__0

Hi, im an absolute beginner with RC airplanes and I think about buying the Mighty mini scout pack. As said in the instructions, I will be using a 11,1V Lipo battery but nothing is said about the receiver / remote to use. So I thought the Flysky FS IA6 was a good choice because it has 6 channels and it is cheap, but the technical sheet of the receiver says that the power voltage needs to be between 4 and 6,5 Volts. So, is there any receiver I could use with a 11,1 Volts battery ?

FS IA6 link: www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-i4X-2_4G-4CH-AFHDS-RC-Transmitter-Remote-Control-With-FS-A6-Receiver-p-1167850.html?akmClientCountry=USA&rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__8&ID=42482&cur_warehouse=CN

Thanks in advance.

FDS

Elite member
The ESC included in the power pack has what’s calied a Battery Eliminator Circuit or BEC on it, which supplies 5v for the receiver and servos, you don’t need anything else.
If you buy a Flysky transmitter be sure to get the FSi6 that does both AFHDS and AFHDS 2A as it makes buying receivers easier.

Kendalf

For an absolute beginner I would recommend that you purchase the Power Pack A to go along with the Mini Scout speed build kit. This will include all the electronics except for the transmitter and receiver (which you are purchasing separately already). The Power Pack comes with an ESC that includes a BEC which converts the voltage from your lipo battery down to 5V that the receiver can safely use. So that's how you power your receiver.

While the 11.1V (3s) battery will work for the Mini Scout, I would suggest using a 2s 7.4V battery in the 700-850mAh size range as it will be lighter weight and easier to fly slow, which is good for a beginner.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Make sure to buy an ESC that has a BEC. The ones made for quads don't always have BEC's, those are sometimes called opto ESC's.
Pay attention to the amp rating of the BEC, 3 amps is the minimum for most FT planes. I prefer ones with a 4-5 amp BEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Hi, im an absolute beginner with RC airplanes and I think about buying the Mighty mini scout pack. As said in the instructions, I will be using a 11,1V Lipo battery but nothing is said about the receiver / remote to use. So I thought the Flysky FS IA6 was a good choice because it has 6 channels and it is cheap, but the technical sheet of the receiver says that the power voltage needs to be between 4 and 6,5 Volts. So, is there any receiver I could use with a 11,1 Volts battery ?

FS IA6 link: www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-i4X-2_4G-4CH-AFHDS-RC-Transmitter-Remote-Control-With-FS-A6-Receiver-p-1167850.html?akmClientCountry=USA&rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__8&ID=42482&cur_warehouse=CN

Thanks in advance.

that transmitter comes with a 6-channel Rx but cannot use all 6. the transmitter is actually just a 4 channel. that will be fine for most FT planes but if you have any intention of growing with the hobby and getting a plane that has gear or flaps, or you want to do thrust differential, that Tx will not be able to handle it. if serious about getting into the hobby, the transmitter is where you should spend your money up front. don't go cheap, get something that you can grow with, has programing, dual-rates, expo, and the ability to handle at least 6 channels.

i am a Spektrum guy and won't fly anything else. yes they cost more, but in my opinion well worth it. plus, customer service with them is exceptional. once you have it, then you can find cheap orange or lemon receivers that use the DMX and DMX2 protocols. these can be had for around $7 and that cost saves a ton when you start having more than 1 plane. i have over 70 in my hangar and all have their own Rx, if i used anyone else the cost would not allow it. check out the DX6e and Dx6 transmitters and don't be afraid to buy used on ebay. like i said customer service is exceptional. i bought one as a spare off ebay that was advertised as "parts," i got it, sent it directly to Spektrum, they fixed it for free and sent it back. i got an awesome backup/trainer Tx for $20.

just my $.02,

me :cool:

FDS

Elite member
You can add firmware to the Flysky to get 10 channels. There’s also mods for multi protocol modules for it.
Second hand TX’s are fine, two of the ones I own were bought that way.
I see more posts about trouble with the DXE than almost any other TX. I am sure it’s no better or worse than some others but the lack of any screen and on field adjustments would put me off buying one.
I use the Lemon RX receivers, agree they are rock solid, never had any problems with the ones in my planes, even after multiple crashes etc.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the DXe and the DX6e are completely diff monsters. one is basic and a pain to deal with, the other has a screen and all the basics required. i have 2 of each. the DXe's i have are for buddy box training and sim training only. they are not "bound" to any airplanes. the DX6e's i have are for my granddaughter and for another student who have more than 1 plane.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
You can add firmware to the Flysky to get 10 channels. There’s also mods for multi protocol modules for it.
Second hand TX’s are fine, two of the ones I own were bought that way.
I see more posts about trouble with the DXE than almost any other TX. I am sure it’s no better or worse than some others but the lack of any screen and on field adjustments would put me off buying one.
I use the Lemon RX receivers, agree they are rock solid, never had any problems with the ones in my planes, even after multiple crashes etc.

Just as an FYI, there's a difference between the DXe, the DX6e, and the DX6. The DXe, as noted above, does not have an LCD screen. This is one of the reasons why it's only $60.

However, the DX6e and DX6 that @mrjdstewart do have that functionality. The two biggest differences between the DX6e and the DX6 are that the DX6 has diversity antennas for a more reliable signal and voice alerts, which speak things like, "30 seconds left" on your timer.

Something else to be aware of, especially if you are using the OrangeRX brand receivers: They have DSM2 versions and DSMX versions.

DSM2 is an older protocol and uses 2 channels upon startup for carrying signal. If one channel loses signal, it can switch to the other for backup. However, if it loses signal with both channels while flying (which is a very real possibility, since it works on CDMA technology, something some cell phone providers utilize for phone calls) in theory it's supposed to jump to another clear channel. If it can't find a clear channel, you could have a crash or a flyaway. DSMX also uses CDMA technology, but it rolls through all available channels thousands of times per second, constantly hunting for open frequencies. In theory, it could lose signal for a millisecond or two, but it would be such a quick blip you wouldn't notice it.

1) If you are buying a used transmitter and are using DSMX receivers, MAKE SURE YOUR TRANSMITTER SUPPORTS DSMX! DSMX is backwards compatible with DSM2, but a DSM2 transmitter doesn't work with DSMX transmitters. Spektrum radios that utilize the DSM2 protocol are mostly 1st gen DX6/DX7 models, along with some DX5ti/DX6ti models. My best recommendation on how to tell if it's DSMX compatible is to look to see if it has a computer monitor; if

2) eBay, Amazon, and HobbyKing have all had stock in OrangeRX DSM2 transmitters, and many times will sell them at a "too good to pass up" price. $3-$4 for a receiver is a great deal; however, they have gotten a reputation for being flaky, and for a long time, OrangeRX had a bad rap because of it. The newer DSMX receivers are solid; just make sure you know what you're purchasing before you buy them or put them in a nice plane; I'd hate for you to have a plane go down because of a loss of signal.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
the DXe and the DX6e are completely diff monsters. one is basic and a pain to deal with, the other has a screen and all the basics required. i have 2 of each. the DXe's i have are for buddy box training and sim training only. they are not "bound" to any airplanes. the DX6e's i have are for my granddaughter and for another student who have more than 1 plane.

Actually, the DXe CAN be bound to multiple planes, but it requires either a computer or Bluetooth connection through an iOS device (I heard they finally got an Android app out, but it's very sketchy). In fact, you can buy the Apprentice S15E right now as an RTF and it comes with the DXe. That said, it may be better for use with buddy box training and sim training. :)

edit: re-reading your post, it looks like you use the DXe for buddy box training and sims only, even though they can be used for other planes. :) My misunderstanding on that...

FDS

Elite member
I can see the use for the DXE as buddy boxes, I just wouldn’t recommend one to a beginner flying solo. I like the Spektrum wireless buddy box and how everything is fairly easy to set up, but the lack of channel expansion and the fact that the DX6e is over $220 here plus the fact they moved the EU service depot to Germany (expensive post) put me off. Second hand ones are mostly $150+.
I fly quads and planes so OpenTX works better for me. It was more hassle to learn but I got lots of channels, voice alerts, haptic feedback, unlimited mixing and module bay plus superb quad receiver support for much less than the cost of a DX6e.
I agree that cheap TX’s will never be as good as better ones but the Flysky stuff is more than capable of doing what most beginners need without spending even the cost of a second hand equivalent branded radio.

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sounds like it's "Spektrum" is more expensive where you live, and so you don't like it as much. completely understandable. spend money where and if you can. for me, there is no way i will fly anything else. i have used in the last few years...

Tactic TTX610
HK 4-channel
Turnigy IX-4
Turnigy 5x
Turnigy TGY-i6
Turnigy 9x
Taranis Qx7
Taranis Qx9
Spektrum DXe
Spektrum DX6e
Spektrum DX6
Spektrum DX8

so you could say i kinda have some experience with a wide variety of Tx's and i still choose to fly Spektrum.

we all make our choices,

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
That's quite a list. We suffer badly right now from the collapse of our currency.