Esc fire

sundown57

Legendary member
tried to go fly today and after about a minute in the air, i saw the plane smoking and sure enough by the time I got it to the ground the esc was smoldering. Figure it was my fault so when home, replaced it and sure enough within about a minute and a half it too burnt up. I'm running an A2212/13T , 1000 KV motor, 30 amp esc, 10x4.5 prop, and a 2200 3 cell battery. Does anyone know if it's just a bad batch of esc's or is my configuration wrong? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4932.JPG
    IMG_4932.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

jsteele

strange could be bad, if it's new you could contact who you bought it from.
I have had them get very hot when under low lowed, and it was due to solder done incorrectly.

sundown57

Legendary member
that's what I'm thinking. I bout 4 on eBay and I just set one up and held the motor in my hand and just ran it less than a minute at 1/2 throttle and it got very warm, that's not right.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I had look at several 2212 -1000kv motors to me it looks like the prop and ESC were approbate. You should look at the specs for your motor to confirm.

sundown57

Legendary member
these are the motor specs

Motor:KV: 1000; Max Efficiency: 80%; Max Efficiency Current: 4-10A (>75%); Current Capacity: 12A/60s; ESC:Output: Continuous 30A, Burst 40A up to 10 Secs; Input Voltage: 2-3cells lithium battery or 5-9 cells NiCd/NIMh battery.

Tench745

Master member
Without running the numbers, the setup seems about right. I have a plane running a 1100kv motor on a 30A ESC with a 9x4.5 prop with no trouble, a 10x4.5 will draw a little more amperage, but probably not enough to fry the ESC.

Are the wires to you motor from the ESC able to touch at all, even a small arc?
I toasted the first ESC I ever bought when the motor leads shorted.

Headbang

Master member
That all sounds right. Possible it is an issue with the motor. Best way to know would be an amp meter to measure the draw. But without that, would need a second identical motor and prop to see if same symptom occurs

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
these are the motor specs

Motor:KV: 1000; Max Efficiency: 80%; Max Efficiency Current: 4-10A (>75%); Current Capacity: 12A/60s; ESC:Output: Continuous 30A, Burst 40A up to 10 Secs; Input Voltage: 2-3cells lithium battery or 5-9 cells NiCd/NIMh battery.
All of the other motors I looked at only used 18 amps. If your motor draws 30 amps thenthe ESC is too small, I’d recommend a 40 amp. I agree with @Headbang, use a watt meter to be sure

Keno

Look for a restriction on your motor shaft
EDIT: A bit more info on this subject. The Watt meter of course will give you the answer to how well your "power system" is performing. But questions remains, what causes your motor to draw to much current? Motor overloaded by large prop load. Motor rotation is restricted by foreign mater, rubbing against firewall, dirt, etc.. A visual inspection of motor windings may tell you of damage. Consider the motor bearings as a possible problem. Nobody like to spend more money on a motors, thus you get cheap bearing. I have replaced bearings and return poor performing motors to new status. I just purchase 10 3MM ID bearing for less than $10.00 (they are for another project) I would not use them in a motor. Anyway said enough, happy flying.

Last edited:

Headbang

Master member
I blew a new 35amp esc tonight on a C pack motor turning a 9x4.5 prop. Tested the amp draw after and was pulling 46 amps. Replaced the motor and now pulling 21 amps. It is easy for a motor to have issues, the motor in question for me came from a mig 3 with many crashes from rx failures.

skymaster

Elite member
try a different vendor and a different esc brand no ebay. i bought 2 combos from ebay and both esc's fryed. motor still work great with the esc's that i had.