ESC for Pair of EDF's

MaxTheFliteFreak

I have a pair of these EDF's - 70mm EDF 6 Blades Ducted Fan with QF2822‑3000KV 4S Brushless Motor
I'm thinking of designs where they'll be next to each other... F-14, F-18 like.
  • I have no desire to throttle them independently. Is it possible to use one ESC for both of them?
  • Is it advisable?
  • Can you suggest ESC(s)?
Thanks,
Inq[/QUOT
You can definitely use one ESC, two EDFs and connect them together with a Y harness, but it will consume twice as many amps, so I think you might need an ESC with a larger amp ratinf. Mind you, I am no expert on ESCs and EDFs so this may not be true. There is definately someone here more knowledgeable than I am who will correct me if I am wrong, but I am quite sure that this is correct. Just wait for more replies.

Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
You can definitely use one ESC, two EDFs and connect them together with a Y harness, but it will consume twice as many amps, so I think you might need an ESC with a larger amp ratinf. Mind you, I am no expert on ESCs and EDFs so this may not be true. There is definately someone here more knowledgeable than I am who will correct me if I am wrong, but I am quite sure that this is correct. Just wait for more replies.

I was guessing the same thing... that I'd just need to double the amps capability of the ESC. But... what I don't know can fill volumes. I know that the ESC does some critical timing for the cycling the AC current going through the 3 wires, but I started imagining that the pulses might get confused going through to motors. Better to ask than smoke something.

Also... I think these need 40 amp ESC and maybe (2) 40's might be cheaper than (1) 80 amp ESC.

Hoping for some good ESC suggestions. I'm new to using electrics and still a little overwhelmed by the choices. I'm still getting over playing at the bottom-end with the same "can" size:

A2212, 1000KV using 1045 propeller
A2212, 1400KV using 8060 propeller
A2212, 2200KV using 6035 propeller

telnar1236

Elite member
I have a pair of these EDF's - 70mm EDF 6 Blades Ducted Fan with QF2822‑3000KV 4S Brushless Motor
I'm thinking of designs where they'll be next to each other... F-14, F-18 like.
  • I have no desire to throttle them independently. Is it possible to use one ESC for both of them?
  • Is it advisable?
  • Can you suggest ESC(s)?
Thanks,
Inq
It is not possible to control multiple brushless motors from one ESC. Basically, the ESCs control timings for the motors which means that if one motor turns even the smallest bit faster or slower, or starts at a different angle, which will happen, the ESC cannot compensate.

You need two 50A brushless ESCs with BEC and you'll need to cut the positive wire (typically red) on one of them to ensure the receiver gets reliable power. The good news is that two 50A ESCs should be less expensive than one 100A ESC, so there's no downside.

Finally, if you don't have it, I would definitely recommend getting some experience on prop aircraft before jumping into an EDF. EDFs are faster and less forgiving so should only be approached once you have the basics down.

telnar1236

Elite member
It is not possible to control multiple brushless motors from one ESC. Basically, the ESCs control timings for the motors which means that if one motor turns even the smallest bit faster or slower, or starts at a different angle, which will happen, the ESC cannot compensate.

You need two 50A brushless ESCs with BEC and you'll need to cut the positive wire (typically red) on one of them to ensure the receiver gets reliable power. The good news is that two 50A ESCs should be less expensive than one 100A ESC, so there's no downside.

Finally, if you don't have it, I would definitely recommend getting some experience on prop aircraft before jumping into an EDF. EDFs are faster and less forgiving so should only be approached once you have the basics down.
To clarify, I mean the positive wire to the receiver. Leave all three wires to the motor intact on both ESCs.

Inq

Elite member

Oh... no problem there! I'm taking baby steps with my J3 Cub Build. This question was for long term goal after 2, 3 or a dozen other less challenging models. I'm thinking about a scratch build He-229 :ROFLMAO: to make it a real challenge. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for the information. Any suggestions on ESC models/brands to look at or avoid?

telnar1236

Elite member
Here are a couple off Amazon from a roughly 30 second search, but pretty much any 50A ESC with BEC made for brushless motors should work.

Amazon.com: Flycolor 50A ESC 2-4S Electric Speed Controller 5v 3A BEC with XT60 & 3.5mm Bullet Plugs for RC Drone Airplane Brushless Motors : Toys & Games
Amazon.com: ZTW Beatles Series 50A 60A Brushless ESC with BECfor Rc Airplane 4S 6S (Beatles 50A ESC) : Toys & Games

If you're not planning on flying full throttle much, you might be able to get away with 40A ESCs, but it's risky since the motor draws 43A at full throttle according to the specs.

For a twin 70mm EDF I would also suggest considering a separate BEC with a minimum of 5A, since at that size your control surfaces can require some real force to move. Depending on what you plan on building, it might or might not be necessary.

Reactions: Inq

Inq

Elite member
Here are a couple off Amazon from a roughly 30 second search, but pretty much any 50A ESC with BEC made for brushless motors should work.

Amazon.com: Flycolor 50A ESC 2-4S Electric Speed Controller 5v 3A BEC with XT60 & 3.5mm Bullet Plugs for RC Drone Airplane Brushless Motors : Toys & Games
Amazon.com: ZTW Beatles Series 50A 60A Brushless ESC with BECfor Rc Airplane 4S 6S (Beatles 50A ESC) : Toys & Games

If you're not planning on flying full throttle much, you might be able to get away with 40A ESCs, but it's risky since the motor draws 43A at full throttle according to the specs.

For a twin 70mm EDF I would also suggest considering a separate BEC with a minimum of 5A, since at that size your control surfaces can require some real force to move. Depending on what you plan on building, it might or might not be necessary.

Thank you for the guidance.