ESC Issue

CB62

I just finished my first FT scratch build of the P-40 last week and had 5 awesome flights, but yesterday when I went out to fly, I ran into some issues. All my electronics are from the FT "C" Power Pack Radial edition with the 3s 2200mAh battery that is suggested for the kit. The issues started when I plugged in my battery and rather than getting the normal beeps from the ESC and "motor armed" beep, the ESC just beeped every two or three seconds for about thirty seconds before going silent. The motor would not spin regardless of where I moved the throttle, but all my servos worked fine. I checked all my connections and didn't see any issues. When I came back the next day, I plugged in my fully charged battery and it ran perfectly, but one minute into my flight when I cut the throttle for a low pass, it never spun up again and I was forced to do a dead stick landing. I've tried lowering the throttle trim settings which is what some of the forums suggested, but this didn't work. In my workshop, I ran the motor at a low idle and it cut off again after a minute or so before making the continuous beeping again for about thirty seconds. My servos are still working during all of this and the battery is at full charge. Could it be my ESC just went bad or is there something else I should be trying to diagnose the issue? Thanks!

Last edited:

shadeyB

Legendary member
I would test configuration with different ESC and different motor if you have them spare and go from there
but I’m still learning

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I just finished my first FT scratch build of the P-40 last week and had 5 awesome flights, but yesterday when I went out to fly, I ran into some issues. All my electronics are from the FT "C" Power Pack Radial edition with the 3s 2200mAh battery that is suggested for the kit. The issues started when I plugged in my battery and rather than getting the normal beeps from the ESC and "motor armed" beep, the ESC just beeped every two or three seconds for about thirty seconds before going silent. The motor would not spin regardless of where I moved the throttle, but all my servos worked fine. I checked all my connections and didn't see any issues. When I came back the next day, I plugged in my fully charged battery and it ran perfectly, but one minute into my flight when I cut the throttle for a low pass, it never spun up again and I was forced to do a dead stick landing. I've tried lowering the throttle trim settings which is what some of the forums suggested, but this didn't work. In my workshop, I ran the motor at a low idle and it cut off again after a minute or so before making the continuous beeping again for about thirty seconds. My servos are still working during all of this and the battery is at full charge. Could it be my ESC just went bad or is there something else I should be trying to diagnose the issue? Thanks!
When an ESC is not receiving a valid signal from the Receiver the ESC is programmed to been continuously. If The signal conection on the esc is not making proper connection it could work sometimes and not others. I had a similar issue many years ago and just like your description I reduced the throttle and the motor cut out and would not spin up again.

I cleaned the singal connection where it plugs into the receiver and the problem never reoccured.

Just my experience.

Have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It could be a bad esc or it could be a bad Rx.
Has the Rx been in a crash?

Innaviation

Sounds like a bad esc... If its not that you might check the esc connection to the receiver and maybe even re calibrate the esc