ESC kept on burning

satvik

Why my ESC burnt every-time, what's the problem
I am using a 30A ESC for A2212/10T 1000kv motor with 10*4.5 props and a 4500 mah 25c battery

Where did i go wrong
Please help as soon as possible, i have already lost about 10 esc and 2 motors

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
We need more data on your battery. Is it a 3s or a 4s? It looks like that motor is for 2s and 3s batteries.

Why my ESC burnt every-time, what's the problem
I am using a 30A ESC for A2212/10T 1000kv motor with 10*4.5 props and a 4500 mah 25c battery

Where did i go wrong
Please help as soon as possible, i have already lost about 10 esc and 2 motors

Last edited:

Kendalf

Surest way to determine is to hook up a wattmeter and read the power and current draw of your prop and motor combination. How many cells in your battery? That prop certainly seems too large for that motor, and it's asking for way more current than your ESC can handle. My guess is that you're running a 4 cell battery.

evranch

If you can afford to burn out 10 ESCs, you can afford a wattmeter! Best get one on order right away before you damage any more ESCs.

I would suspect that a 10x4.5 can easily draw 30A on a properly rated 1000kv motor. Not only that, but your A2212 is a small motor that is only rated at 12A! It is heavily overloaded with that prop. The high current resulting from the overload is toasting your ESCs before the motor has a chance to overheat, though.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Is the back of the motor clear, the rear part of the shaft can protrude and be rubbing on the tape and firewall which can cause this. Are you sure your esc is rated for the number of cells your using. Don't know if they still make 1-2s 30amp esc and it could be rated for 3s and you're using 4s.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Most 2212 motors can run a 10x4.7 but only on 2s max. 3s will fry it fairly quick. Usually can go on an 8 or 9in prop on a 2212 with 3s. The 9in should be a low pitch too, wouldn't go over a 9x4.7 with that.

mayan

Legendary member
I also bet that the prop is to big for the motor. Do you maybe have the datasheet that comes with the motor. Usually it will state what props are recommended for use and with what cell battery they are to be used.

FDS

Elite member
If you burn one ESC it can be a small fault, if you burn two you need to change something and if you burn three then that airframe doesn’t fly again until you sort it out.
If you want to spin a big prop like that then get a bigger motor or use a higher rated ESC, or just drop a prop size DOWN instead. 10x4 is both big and pitchy, I wouldn’t run that on a little 2212.

mayan

Legendary member
As far as I know bigger props are used on bigger motors with smaller kv ratings. I had the exact case when I tried to use a 7x5 on a f pack motor, burned my ESC.

Keno

Model: 2212-10
Motor size: Ф28*26mm
Shaft size: Ф3.175*37mm
Weight: 50g
KV(rpm/v): 1400
Max Power: 205W
Battery: 2-3Li-Po
Prop: 9x4.7/7x4
Ri(M Ω): 0.078
ESC: 30A

basslord1124

Master member
I highly recommend a wattmeter as well. It will save you from burning any more ESCs as well as everything else. Without a wattmeter a good test is the heat test. If anything is running very hot to the touch after a good quick run (and I do mean quick run) then you need to change something...different battery, lower prop, larger ESC, etc. But really, I'd pick up a wattmeter.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well I do run the Turnigy 2826 10T 1400kv motor spinning a 10X5 APC prop but I also have minimum a 40A esc in there. I run them hard in the combat plane and have never burnt one out, they come in a little warm but that's it. Now I have a Racestar 2212 1400kv and 9" is the largest prop I will put on it. I do have a thrust stand and watt meter so as a rule I will bench test my setups before I put them into a plane. Also on a lot of my esc's I put add a extra heatsink on to it, I push everything to their limits and then some. :D

regardless on the brand of motor the esc is to small for that combination. Also do they all have proper ventalation???