Help! ESC motor issues for micro balsa.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Hey Ya'll! I've got an eflite umx brushless all in one board. I soldered up a emax 1306 2700kv to it and got some really weird results. About 3/4 of the time the motor jitters like i drove a screw into the windings. The other times it works just fine and has normal thrust. Does anybody know why?

Turbojoe

Elite member
Hey Ya'll! I've got an eflite umx brushless all in one board. I soldered up a emax 1306 2700kv to it and got some really weird results. About 3/4 of the time the motor jitters like i drove a screw into the windings. The other times it works just fine and has normal thrust. Does anybody know why?

I've got several UMX planes and had a dozen or so UMX helis. I ran into the same starting problems on a few helis. Each time I re-soldered the motor wires and all was good. A "cold" solder joint can cause that stuttering. That 1306 motor may just be too much for the board too. Those boards are beyond fragile. It doesn't take much to cook one. Make sure you don't over prop it or you'll let the magic smoke out for sure.

Joe

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I gave up on the all in one boards a while ago. I've had way better luck going with opto escs for micro builds. I'd be worried that 1306 is a bit much...

Bricks

Master member
Which plane did it come out of as many of the UMX smaller planes use brushed motors so a brushless motor will not work with the ESC.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Shoot, I completely forgot! I put a 1306 on my UMX Pitts AS3X board I used in my Super Sport build and it works though I don't expect a long life from the board. I found specs somewhere that said 5 amps max with a short 8 amp burst. Double check your solder joints and make sure you stay with the original size prop. If it still doesn't work maybe you have a wonky mosfet on the board.

Joe

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Shoot, I completely forgot! I put a 1306 on my UMX Pitts AS3X board I used in my Super Sport build and it works though I don't expect a long life from the board. I found specs somewhere that said 5 amps max with a short 8 amp burst. Double check your solder joints and make sure you stay with the original size prop. If it still doesn't work maybe you have a wonky mosfet on the board.

Joe
That's what I'm thinking. I might just get some bullet esc's and a micro receiver. Thanks Ya'll!