ESC needed for no motor sail plane?

Chuck Ray

Newbie question....I have 2 sail planes with motors, no problem. I am building a Riser 100 without a motor, 3 channel. How do I get the power to the receiver? I have the battery and the receiver. Do I need an esc? What size. I am using a 3S 11.1V 1300 mAh battery (because that is what I have.

Timmy

Legendary member
You need a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) I am not an expert so I don't know what type.

quorneng

Master member
Chuck Ray
What you need is a UBEC which a small stand alone device to provide a regulated 5V to power the receiver and thus the servos.
For a 3 channel glider a 3A UBEC like this would be quite sufficient.
A 3s 1300mAh battery is considerably bigger and thus heavier than you need.
For example an 800 mAh 2s LiFe battery (under 1/2 the weight) could be used directly connected to the receiver.

Bricks

Master member
As quuorneng said I would set it up with a life battery or you could use Nicads or even some AA batteries either rechargeable or not.

simglestick

Experienced R/Cer
You don't need any of the items in the previous posts.........you simply need a single, four cell battery pack. It can be either Ni Cds, Nickle metal Hydrides, or, just a four cell pack made up of regular AA Pen cell dry batteries. Get a 'standard' switch harness to connect this pack to the receiver port on your receiver. No need for heavy batteries, BECs, Li POs, etc. It's the way WE USED TO DO IT, before the world of electrics came to be. Hope this helps

Singlestick
Singlestickstuff.com

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Most Rx’s operate at 5-6v. Any of the above suggestions will get the job done. It’s your choice which one you choose