Esc to motor

John1957

Hi I am quite new to this hobby I purchased a rtf rc mustang 750mm foam plane and there was wiring problems so the company sent me a new motor a new battery and a reciever I purchased a 10amp esc and I can’t get the motor to run it just beeps I have followed your video’s linking esc to motor but still just bleeping when I connected the aileron they just kept moving there self even though I tried to keep the gyro receiver level please any help would be welcome
Thanks john

kdobson83

I think we will need more info to help you diagnose the problem/s. What kind of plane is it exactly? Pictures of your setup also help.

Bricks

Master member
Is the motor brushed or brushless? Is the esc you purchased compatable with a 1s battery? Did you recalibrate the esc when you installed it? Throttle all the way up plug in battery to plane wait for beeps lower throttle. If motor running backwards switcth two of the three wires.

John1957

Hi it’s a volontrex it’s a voltrax p51 750mm mustang rtf brand new

hi
Is the motor brushed or brushless? Is the esc you purchased compatable with a 1s battery? Did you recalibrate the esc when you installed it? Throttle all the way up plug in battery to plane wait for beeps lower throttle. If motor running backwards switcth two of the three wires.
It’s a brushless motor and yes I followed the set up for the transmitter esc etc stick to full power and got beebs on full stick and none on throttle off thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpeg
    IMG_0542.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0541.jpeg
    IMG_0541.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

John1957

Hi sorry yes esc up to 3 cell and I use what they surplied a 2 cell battery

quorneng

Master member
John1957
The motor just beeping is the ESC telling you it is either not getting a control signal or it doesn't understand the signal it is getting.
This would suggest something is either connected up wrong or there is a broken connection between the receiver, ESC or the motor. You can only check everything very carefully. There will be something wrong. Is the ESC plugged into the receiver the right way round?

You say the servo moves by itself. This is normal if the gyro is being moving about but if it is truly stationary then the servo should be still also. Is the servo plugged into the correct receiver channel?

John1957

John1957
The motor just beeping is the ESC telling you it is either not getting a control signal or it doesn't understand the signal it is getting.
This would suggest something is either connected up wrong or there is a broken connection between the receiver, ESC or the motor. You can only check everything very carefully. There will be something wrong. Is the ESC plugged into the receiver the right way round?

You say the servo moves by itself. This is normal if the gyro is being moving about but if it is truly stationary then the servo should be still also. Is the servo plugged into the correct receiver channel?
Hi
Yep have gone backwards and forwards with the motor wires even changed the three wires around I can find no bad connection yep I have plugged esc controller wire I think the right way brown lead to the outside I don’t understand that there could be 2 lots of electrical problems as I said before this is a second lot of motor reciever and esc
Thanks for the help

quorneng

Master member
John1957
I assume you have bound the receiver to the transmitter in some way so the correct led is showing. Also that the ESC is plugged into the "throttle" channel. Channel 1 is the convention for 2.4 GHz. Everything will power up if you plug the ESC into another channel but the ESC will not 'understand' a servo signal as it is at the mid range position rather than at a minimum required to arm the ESC..
My advice is to buy a servo tester something like this. Cheap enough on Ebay.
ServoTester.JPG

Apart from testing a servo you can also run a motor with it without using the radio at all.
ServoTester2.JPG

At least then you know the ESC and motor work indicating any problem is with the radio side of things.
I did just such a bench test on an EDF motor this afternoon!
I hope this helps.

John1957

John1957
I assume you have bound the receiver to the transmitter in some way so the correct led is showing. Also that the ESC is plugged into the "throttle" channel. Channel 1 is the convention for 2.4 GHz. Everything will power up if you plug the ESC into another channel but the ESC will not 'understand' a servo signal as it is at the mid range position rather than at a minimum required to arm the ESC..
View attachment 237909
Apart from testing a servo you can also run a motor with it without using the radio at all.
View attachment 237911
At least then you know the ESC and motor work indicating any problem is with the radio side of things.
I hope this helps.
Hi
Yes I have bound the tx to the reciever I think I have followed the instructions in the manual correctly the number 1 port on my reciever is the esc plug in but I’m surprised the led light isint alight at all which is a worry but there is a bleeping from the engine and I had the bleeps on the tx put no motor running
Thanks john

quorneng

Master member
Hi John
No LED on the Rx is a concern. If it is supposed to be on then there will be no throttle signal hence the motor beeping and the servos wouldn't work correctly either. Does the LED flash when you put power onto the rx before being bound
There is no guarantee your Rx is supposed to light up but even the super cheap Orange 6ch has an LED.
RxLED.JPG

Rapid (2 per second) orange flashes until bound then on constant.
It even changes to red and flashes every 2 seconds if the signal is lost.

Bricks

Master member
It’s a brushless motor and yes I followed the set up for the transmitter esc etc stick to full power and got beebs on full stick and none on throttle off thanks

Does that receiver show which channels are which ( marked or in the documentation ) most receivers would use one of the 4 pin outs on the end of the receiver for throttle. They don`t give much information on there web site about this receiver stabilizer. Such as EATR or TEAR configuration. I feel it is going to be something really stupid as too the problem.

John1957

John1957
View attachment 237909
View attachment 237911
I hope this helps.
Hi thank you I purchased a servo tester checked the servos and the motor all run fine but nothing from the esc throttle port I have ordered another receiver
Thank you
John