ESTLCAM and Inkscape issue?

RAGII

Has anyone been able to import any Inkscape 0.92.4 svg files into Estcam V11?

I have a file that was originally in 0.92.3 that I modified in 0.92.4 and the old one opens fine but Estlcam is not able to read the new one. (Two different computers). I have tried the usual items (Object -> path, Stroke -> path, etc.)

Last edited:

RAGII

I did try that but the scaling was way off. I found that I could still get the 0.92.3 download and did that. Everything worked fine then. Not sure what they changed that makes it incompatible.

Old Bid

While I can get Inkscape 0.92.4 files from FT formatted PDF's into Estlcam v11 as SVG's, I am struggling with some of the other PDF's still...
I tried to import the FT Style nn800 Tiger Moth, but the composition of the PDF is different, as all I get is similar to a flat graphics image, and can't seem to get a path formatted file from it... I have been trying to overlay paths, convert objects to paths, etc. but no luck so far...
As I'm still a novice at this (and possibly older than many …), I still struggle with the concepts of Inkscape
I would like to get to a position where I can draw up my own plans, but lacking experience and practice - It's more funat the moment building and flying what I can now print from my MPCNC machine ! - but the evenings are drawing in (no pun intended).

So, can anyone give possibly me some pointers here please? or point me at some youtube tutorials?
- has anyone managed to convert this non FT format PDF to a true vector graphics file?

Old Bid

While I can get Inkscape 0.92.4 files from FT formatted PDF's into Estlcam v11 as SVG's, I am struggling with some of the other PDF's still...
I tried to import the FT Style nn800 Tiger Moth, but the composition of the PDF is different, as all I get is similar to a flat graphics image, and can't seem to get a path formatted file from it... I have been trying to overlay paths, convert objects to paths, etc. but no luck so far...
As I'm still a novice at this (and possibly older than many …), I still struggle with the concepts of Inkscape
I would like to get to a position where I can draw up my own plans, but lacking experience and practice - It's more funat the moment building and flying what I can now print from my MPCNC machine ! - but the evenings are drawing in (no pun intended).

So, can anyone give possibly me some pointers here please? or point me at some youtube tutorials?
- has anyone managed to convert this non FT format PDF to a true vector graphics file?
Some progress here this weekend - I have using Illustrator on a borrowed machine, managed to trace from the original PDF flat bitmap and effectively convert or overlay some paths here in a new layer, this appears to work when I export as either a new PDF or SVG file, which Estefan 11 can process, but leaves me wondering what I am not doing in Inkscape here?

Can anyone explain how this can be done in Inkscape please - and whether any of the automatic functions could assist here; object to path, or trace functions?
Many thanks for reading!
Andrew

Old Bid

Nearly done!
Need some proper skewers on the wings and it’s complete!

Attachments

• E0CFE85C-3071-47AF-92AA-DA372F6E621C.jpeg
    E0CFE85C-3071-47AF-92AA-DA372F6E621C.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Sounds like NN's PDF's may not be vector. PDF is a container format that can hold various differents types of data. They can be bitmap, vector or a combination of both. (PDF is actually an offshoot of Postscript which is actually a full turing complete programming language designed for communicating with printers but actually capable if considerably more....but I digress.)

If the original PDF doesn't have vector data then the only option is indeed to redraw it manually whether you're using Inkscape or Illustrator or some other package.

I've never been clear on why people would release bitmaps as PDF's....there's really no advantage and quite a few disadvantages IMHO.

Old Bid

“If the original PDF doesn't have vector data then the only option is indeed to redraw it manually whether you're using Inkscape or Illustrator or some other package. “

It was a bitmap, and thankfully I have managed to trace (manually in Inkscape) as I can’t get it to automatically recognise without loosing the true scaling...
So, problem now solved, many thanks!

Keno

I had the problem with the size change and what I was doing wrong was not using the same measurement unit in export to import. I also have better success with importing DXF into Estlcam.