Event Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radios.... Well, i'll bring my own then! KCØYOL
http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-65-108-Dual-Band-Radio/dp/B008IYCQSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405600462&sr=8-2&keywords=baofeng+5r
Again, if we want to set up a way to talk people in, I can help there. CB, HAM, cellphone, text, would all be viable ways to get people there when they get lost. (Yeah, I have been the lost guy before! LOL!)

Fires... A Dutch oven is usually used on the ground, with charcoal. Not EXACTLY a ground fire, but no one wants to be known as the guy who ruined Flite Fest, so I think we have a solution for it. I can put the Dutch oven inside a Charcoal BBQ grill, or maybe a disposable roasting pan.

Camp sites... Any word on how much space per site? Some folks are bringing RV's, my group and I will have a popup camper and a truck. Some might be car camping, others, just a tent. Not trying to be naggy, just wanting to know much stuf I can or cannot bring.

Camp sites again... Gray water. I boondock with a 7 gallon aquatainer for cooking and dishes. Will there be anywhere to dump gray water? (NOT sewage! Though someone will want to know about that too!)

Flying off the line... When I go to a flea market or mall, there is always some yahoo flying a Picco Z, or Parrot Drone, or something similar. Can we fly in the camping area or elsewhere with such things, so long as no one is complaining about it? (I suppose SOMEONE will always complain though!)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Flying off the line... When I go to a flea market or mall, there is always some yahoo flying a Picco Z, or Parrot Drone, or something similar. Can we fly in the camping area or elsewhere with such things, so long as no one is complaining about it? (I suppose SOMEONE will always complain though!)

I'm not the official, and just a general statement totally unrelated to the specific topic directly above, but . . .

Some questions you don't want the official answer, because the official might rather turn a blind eye to something that causes no harm, but if pressed would have to tell you it's not allowed.

You are SO right Dan! I forgot my own rule in life: "do not ask a question, unless you are prepared to hear the answer, no matter what it might possibly be."

MentalWhiplash

Bipe Addict
I'm sure this is an AMA insured event so permitting flying outside of a flying area that meets AMA standards would nullify the insurance coverage for the event. So, no, I doubt that they would permit flying anywhere other than the flight line.

http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-65-108-Dual-Band-Radio/dp/B008IYCQSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405600462&sr=8-2&keywords=baofeng+5r

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm not the official, and just a general statement totally unrelated to the specific topic directly above, but . . .

Some questions you don't want the official answer, because the official might rather turn a blind eye to something that causes no harm, but if pressed would have to tell you it's not allowed.

Dan's right, and since I was working on the list of event "rules" now I have to add another one.

Even more than the "safety" concerns, there's the chance for radio problems. If 500 people are running on spectrum, there's going to be interference somewhere. We're not doing a radio impound, but we will be asking that you refrain from turning your transmitters on unless you're about to fly. (Or testing gear within earshot of someone yelling they've lost control of their plane.)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...TF8&qid=1405600462&sr=8-2&keywords=baofeng+5r
Again, if we want to set up a way to talk people in, I can help there. CB, HAM, cellphone, text, would all be viable ways to get people there when they get lost. (Yeah, I have been the lost guy before! LOL!)

Not a bad idea.

Fires... A Dutch oven is usually used on the ground, with charcoal. Not EXACTLY a ground fire, but no one wants to be known as the guy who ruined Flite Fest, so I think we have a solution for it. I can put the Dutch oven inside a Charcoal BBQ grill, or maybe a disposable roasting pan.

I'd buy four of these…
images.jpeg

Set them down in a square and that should protect the grass from heat and some stray embers.

Camp sites... Any word on how much space per site? Some folks are bringing RV's, my group and I will have a popup camper and a truck. Some might be car camping, others, just a tent. Not trying to be naggy, just wanting to know much stuf I can or cannot bring.

I don't have a confirmed answer on this, it will likely be figured out after I get up there. On the flight line it will likely be 1 EZ up tent wide, and 2-3 deep plus room for a vehicle.

As far as how much stuff… it's a four day trip, not a year long expedition. I watch the people that visit the park I work at drag more stuff than they'll ever use to the beach, knowing they have to bring it back up every day, and I just shake my head.

Camp sites again... Gray water. I boondock with a 7 gallon aquatainer for cooking and dishes. Will there be anywhere to dump gray water? (NOT sewage! Though someone will want to know about that too!)

Excellent question, and it's been submitted to the son of the land owner.

Refer to post #25.

Great answers, thanks! And I'm glad you pointed out radio interference. I hadn't thought of that, beyond the flight line. We;'ll be hardpressed for clean signals as it is. I sure don't wanna be goofing off at my camper while contibuting to a giant scale Extra 300 turning to toothpicks at the line!

Status
Not open for further replies.