Experimental Airlines Peace Drone Build

Hey Gang

I thought I would log my first build attempt. As soon as I saw the Peace Drone I wanted to build it. It reminded me so much of Burt Rutan's aircraft. Before starting out I do have a question with regards to elevons. Can someone explain how these are set up as I have never used this configuration before?

Regards

Jason

earthsciteach

Each elevon needs a dedicated servo that goes to its own channel on the RX. Programmable TX's have elevon functions and are easy to set up. Many non-programmable TX's have mix and reverse switches that can be flipped to operate elevons. I think on my Turnigy 9x, I use channels 1 and 2 for elevons. But its been awhile.

teflyer

Full Circle
If I remember correctly, you assign one channel to be the ailerons and one channel to be the elevator. YOu plug in one elevon into the ailerons channel, let's say channel 1, and the other into the elevator channel, let's say channel 2. Then you mix channel 2 to channel 1 and have the uprate and downrate set to -100 for the opposite directions for ailerons. Then you mix channel 1 to channel 2 and have the uprate and downrate set to 100 for the same direction for elevator. I think that is right. Of course, like earthsciteach, it has been a while since I did that.

Hey Gang

Well I've had a very frustrating afternoon. I purchased a couple of sheets of foam board from Riot Art & Craft. The taping of the board went well. I wasn't so lucky with removing the paper backing. I think the board available here in Australia is different from Dollar Tree. The paper would just tear. I tried dampening it but that just created more problems. I tried simply skipping the step of removing the paper backing but I discovered you need to do this to allow the foam to bend nicely. The next thing I tried was cutting relief's in the foam. Bad idea. Back to the drawing board. :(

DM

voipmonkey

Hey Gang

Well I've had a very frustrating afternoon. I purchased a couple of sheets of foam board from Riot Art & Craft. The taping of the board went well. I wasn't so lucky with removing the paper backing. I think the board available here in Australia is different from Dollar Tree. The paper would just tear. I tried dampening it but that just created more problems. I tried simply skipping the step of removing the paper backing but I discovered you need to do this to allow the foam to bend nicely. The next thing I tried was cutting relief's in the foam. Bad idea. Back to the drawing board. :(

DM

Hey DM
I am having the same issue with the board I have bought in the UK. seems really good foam core board but glue the paper is stuck on with is good stuff.
was thinking of solvents but don't want to melt the foam :(
let me know how you get on I am still trying also :)
Mark

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
For the Peace Drone, If you are only trying to remove narrow strips of the paper from one side for folding the fuselage then use a razor knife to just cut just below the paper from one side of your scored lines then lift it away. If you are trying to strip the paper completely from the foam then why use foam core board at all? If removing the entire paper covering is absolutely necessary then I have heard of soaking the entire piece of FCB in the tub for a few hours.

Thurmond

voipmonkey

For the Peace Drone, If you are only trying to remove narrow strips of the paper from one side for folding the fuselage then use a razor knife to just cut just below the paper from one side of your scored lines then lift it away. If you are trying to strip the paper completely from the foam then why use foam core board at all? If removing the entire paper covering is absolutely necessary then I have heard of soaking the entire piece of FCB in the tub for a few hours.

Thurmond

Hi Thurmond
Will give the razor idea a go but this stuff is stuck fast. might end up damaging the foam :(
Mark

voipmonkey

Yeah, kind of with a soft brush - does the paper disintegrate when wet?

i see not sure will give it another go later on just built a nutball with some and seemed to work fine. Shame i cant measure though need to mod the fus as i cut slots too far back Doh :)

Hey Gang

Soaking wont work as it just makes a mess of the paper covering on both sides. One possible solution is to replace the Armin Wing with a KFm-2 Airfoil (see link).

KFm Airfoil

I have been looking at a possible alternative FPV platform (see link).

FPV40 Delta Wing

Just some thoughts

Cheers

DM

MrFollies

Not sure if anyone from Australia is still thinking of this plane but I've found some foamboard (that's the brand) that peels off quite well.

I had the stuff from Riot and it was black and impossible to get the paper off, but I got help from a family member who's in the picture framing game. He gave me some white foamboard to try and the first thing I did was try and rip some paper off. It came away *fairly* easily.

He also mentioned that it was no surprise that black was harder because the glue sticks to it better (or something).

So, get "foamboard" branded stuff and get it in white.... Mine cost me next to nothing....

Bollie

Not sure if anyone from Australia is still thinking of this plane but I've found some foamboard (that's the brand) that peels off quite well.

I had the stuff from Riot and it was black and impossible to get the paper off, but I got help from a family member who's in the picture framing game. He gave me some white foamboard to try and the first thing I did was try and rip some paper off. It came away *fairly* easily.

He also mentioned that it was no surprise that black was harder because the glue sticks to it better (or something).

So, get "foamboard" branded stuff and get it in white.... Mine cost me next to nothing....

Where did you get it from, I'm just about out of from my last order, is there a website we can order from

SteveOBHave

I'd be very interested in this source too - Riot foamboard is very expensive and a pain in the bum to get the paper off it.

MrFollies

I could ask who the wholesaler is, perhaps they can tell you where to get it locally. It might be easier if you simply drop into a picture framer (a real one, not one that that uses pre-cut frames from china) and ask if they'll sell you some foamboard (that's the brand).

I just asked if I could see some of the white offcuts and when I found one I liked (5mm) I made him sell me 2 sheets. Cost me $10 a sheet...

MrFollies

I made a PD fuse last night. Tearing off the 4 half inch strips took me about 20 seconds per strip. It does not come off *perfectly* but if you look at Ed's videos, sometimes he leaves some behind as well. I found with a little practice it was easy enough. I also tried a 2 inch section, that was harder but still doable...

Like I said, get the white...

ExAir

MrFollies - you would be a serious hero if you nailed a brand name and source for the "easy-peel Aussie foamboard". There are several other guys with the same headache going on.

If we don't figure out something soon I'm seriously going to take a box of Readi-Board down to the post office and see what it would cost to ship down there. Even US$50 would be a bargain, and make it US$2 per sheet for a box of 50.

TommyG

MrFollies - you would be a serious hero if you nailed a brand name and source for the "easy-peel Aussie foamboard". There are several other guys with the same headache going on.

If we don't figure out something soon I'm seriously going to take a box of Readi-Board down to the post office and see what it would cost to ship down there. Even US$50 would be a bargain, and make it US$2 per sheet for a box of 50.

I got some stuff from Officeworks last week. A pack of 5 cost just short of AU$50 :0 It was still hard to peel.
I might have to take you up on that deal Ed.

In the meantime Aussies, Bunnings stock Coroflute in the dressed timber section in 3mm and 5mm sizes. At less than $5 for a sheet the same size as a foamboard. There are other sheets that are heaps bigger too!