Explorer landing gear

Brickman

Has anybody put wheels on an explorer? What size and is it tricycle? I had a bad hand launch. Prop was to small. Now im a little gunshy. Thx

n

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Has anybody put wheels on an explorer? What size and is it tricycle? I had a bad hand launch. Prop was to small. Now im a little gunshy. Thx

n
I had wheels on my version that had the axle glued into the bottom of the nose. It flew but it could not rotate on take off! You will need to ensure that the tail boom can swing downwards on take off because without rotation is takes a long take off run to get airborne. Otherwise it was fine!

Have fun!

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
I don't mean to knock your idea, but putting landing gear is not going to help if the model is underpowered. If anything the extra weight will make it worse. Get hold of an appropriate prop. Hand launching an explorer is very easy. It should almost fly out of your hand.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
If hand launching is a problem a bungee catapult is safe, cheap and doesn’t add weight to your build. There’s several designs on here if you search.

Brickman

Yes it has the right size prop now. Im still a little nervous about the hand launch. I might switch out and use the trainer wing until I get comfortable.

FDS

Elite member
It will fly fine, just be sure to check your control directions, prop nut, control function and CG - BEFORE you try and fly it, then give it a really positive throw, nose slightly up, with plenty of throttle.

Mortis

Yes it has the right size prop now. Im still a little nervous about the hand launch. I might switch out and use the trainer wing until I get comfortable.

If you end up hand tossing it, you'll need to give it a strong throw. Pushers tend to push the plane downwards.