Explorer won't fly

0lben1

I've made two builds of the Explorer. Neither has flown more than 10 feet before nose diving into ground. I'm using the three channel wing and an FT power pack B. The center of gravity is OK, the rudder and elevators are aligned perfectly as far as I can see. I'm using a Spectrum DXS transmitter and an A10 receiver. I'm a 78 yr old noob. So I put an A3Pro v2 gyro in it and set it up for level flight.
Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Stabilization can be great when properly set up but it adds a lot of complication for a beginner if you dont have some help making sure it's dialed in.
The explorer should fly pretty well even without stabilization. Most of the time nose dive at launch is from insufficient airspeed provided everything is set up correctly.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
That's weird! I wish I was where I could take a look, the Explorer is actually a good flyer. Long-distance one thing I can suggest is to just glide check it. It has enough wing that it should glide fair just tossed straight ahead.
Okay, after rereading, get rid of the gyro, this will fly fine without it and that will eliminate a possible problem.

tamuct01

Also double-check the prop direction. The explorer is a pusher, so the prop should be put on with the numbers facing the front of the plane (toward the motor bell). Also make sure your motor is spinning the prop the correct direction.

checkerboardflyer

That's weird! I wish I was where I could take a look, the Explorer is actually a good flyer. Long-distance one thing I can suggest is to just glide check it. It has enough wing that it should glide fair just tossed straight ahead.
Okay, after rereading, get rid of the gyro, this will fly fine without it and that will eliminate a possible problem.

Excellent advice! Hand launch it with power off and see what happens. It should be a nice glider. If the problem is only there with power on, then it's the prop on backwards or the motor spinning the wrong way as suggested above in other excellent suggestions.